Pro Flo. Ignition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Flo. Ignition.

Have a new pro flo1. Having spark issue. If I was to guess it is either the dist or spark, amplifier. Double checked all wiring and connections, had the injectors flowed. Fires tried to run cyl 1 and 3 very little spark. Seem like it has it has spefatic spark. Any ideas. 383 sbc

If it's a weak spark. Then you need a new amplifier.......it's a GM part from the late 80's. A forum search will flush out the part number.

EDIT: Searched for you: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...1731#post11731
    Last edited by BITE_ME; 02-27-2019, 02:39 AM.
    At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

Thanks. And yes it's a weak spark. Thought maybe I put the dist together wrong but every thing looks right.

Comment

Is that the same for the small dist cap as the height dist

Comment

I belive there were 2 different ones.
          You should post a picture of the amplifier module, and the sensor in the distributor....the part in some of the distributors do go bad.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Will a different dist work, with the ecm

Comment

What eng? Size? Brand?
                  Thanks.

Comment

Chevy 383.

Comment

Will a msd dual pickup dist work on the pro flo. Msd #83971. So I can do away with the hall effect dist.

Comment

No, a MSD dual sync distributor is not compatible with Pro-Flo. Can you clarify what "Fires tried to run cyl 1 and 3 very little spark" means please?

Comment

We started it up for the first time, and it wants to run but backfires through the exhaust. All header tube were hot but 1 and 3. But they do have spark and fuel. So were thinking it's the distributor or spark amplifier. That's why I was wanting to know about a different distributor.

Comment

The distributor is not installed right, or the fuel pressure is too high.
                            Last edited by BITE_ME; 03-04-2019, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1badcutlass View Post
                              We started it up for the first time, and it wants to run but backfires through the exhaust. All header tube were hot but 1 and 3. But they do have spark and fuel. So were thinking it's the distributor or spark amplifier. That's why I was wanting to know about a different distributor.
                              I feel like we're either not getting the whole story or multiple stories mixed together. If it wants to run but backfires through the exhaust that sure makes it sound like it doesn't actually run but then apparently it does run and the primaries for 1 & 3 aren't hot. How did you go from wants to start but backfires to actually running? Does it still backfire when cranking the engine over? A engine that backfires when being started usually indicates that the timing is way off.

How did you determine that both 1 & 3 have spark and fuel? Shouldn't those cylinder be running if they have spark and fuel? One sure fire way to have cylinders not fire even though they have spark and fuel is if the spark isn't correctly timed which would be the case if you had swapped plug wires. Go over your plug wire routing and then have someone else go over it too. Doesn't make much sense that you'd have fuel and spark and cylinders not firing. Did you say something about weak spark? How did you determine it has weak spark? Or are you just assuming that you have weak spark because those cylinders aren't firing?

Why have you immediately deduced that this is either a distributor or amplifier problem? The distributor provides a position signal to the ECU and the ECU then triggers the amplifier which then fires the coil. The output signal to the amplifier is just 8 pulses per cycle and in turn the amplifier fires the coil 8 times per cycle. It's up to the rotor in the distributor to send the spark to the appropriate cylinder. How is it that either the input into the ECU, the output from the ECU to the amp or the output from the amp to the coil happens to magically skip cylinders 1 & 3 but fire the other 6 just fine? That's not really a plausible failure mode. If the amp works and fires the coil, then it works all the time. Rarely are the ignition amplifiers "choosey" as to which cylinders they want to fire. Other more logical problems would be a cap and rotor problem, a spark plug wire problem, a spark plug problem, etc - none of which has anything to directly do with the distributor positioning sensor or amplifier.

In instances where the proper spark timing to each cylinder is questionable, I've marked the crank balancer every 90° from TDC. This will give you 4 TDC marks which correlates with 4 pairs of spark events. At the regular TDC mark you have cylinders 1 & 6 firing, at the second TDC mark would be 8 & 5, at the third TDC mark would be 4 & 7 and at the last TDC mark would be 3 & 2. Use a timing light and check the timing of EVERY cylinder to the correct TDC mark I just mentioned. This will verify that all cylinders are getting correctly timed spark.
                              Last edited by Nate S; 03-05-2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X