New guy with some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with some questions

I have the opportunity to pick up a "new" (never installed, still in the packaging) original Pro Flo for a Ford 302 for a very good price. But, reading this forum suggests parts are becoming NLA. Since some sensor will fail at some point, are there OEM equivalents for them all (I read one thread suggesting the TPS may no longer be available and it wasn't clear if there was a same spec equivalent. Not sure if there are other sensors that are NLA)..

Also, anyone know if it could be run by a mega squirt controller in the event the ECU fries and a replacement isn't available from Edelbrock?

Any part can basically be replaced with a "universal" part. It just depends on your "electronic" skill level, and in the case of the TPS if you can physically do a modification.

The most unreliable part has been the mounting of the crank/cam sensor in some of the old kits. All the parts in a Edelbrock system are the best OEM parts that Edelbrock could source at the time of manufacturing. That's why most are still working, even after 25 years.

Yes. You could do the Mega switch over. Their forum could help you out.
    At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and the great info. I'm going to pull the trigger and get it. What sould I look for to related to the crank/cam sensor mounting? And if this is an early one, is there a remedy for the mounting that's already known to work?

Comment

Look at the sensor in the distributor. Some of the sensors only used the solder pins to hold it in. I would use some plasic glue ( JB weld ) to glue the sensor to the circuit board. Just use a toothpick to spread it around it's base.

Just to give you the heads up. The distributor's use the 7 plus 1 that Ford uses.....so basically you could use one of the factory ford distributors.
        Like this one. https://www.w8ji.com/distributor_stabbing.htm

Comment

Thanks again for that info - and it is timely because it turned out there was no distributor with the kit so if my current duraspark distributor doesn't have the 7+1 shutter wheel (or whatever it's really called), I'll need to get one.

Comment

Tfi garbage that ford came out with. The distributor is good. Their module is garbage. Big lawsuit over the module.

Comment

OK, things are never as good as the ad. The system had been installed and removed but I bought it anyway. Price was too good to pass up.

Now, inspecting what I got I noticed (after I got home) that the throttle position sensor plug socket is broken off. Is there an OEM application for the TPS or is it an Edelbrock only part?

Comment

OK, ignore that. I'm obviously sleep deprived as the TPS sensor is the one I read about that is NLA and equivalent part requires som mods.

Comment

The connector for the original sensor should be Standard Motor Products HP4460.....I'm not ignoring you.

Comment

I think I need a whole new TPS. Its the female side of connector that's moulded into the TPS that's broken off. Here's a pic...

Comment

OK, back on the distributor... mine has a magnetic pickup with 8 equally spaced "teeth" as pictured -- that won't work, right? Assuming not, any idea of a year/make/model Ford 302 vehicle that would have a short distributor & the 7-1 trigger wheel?
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's a VR distributor. You need a Hall-Effet one.

VR's basically make an electrical signal by having a piece of iron move past a coil of copper.... Think of an alternator.

Hall-Effect's have a magnet on one side, and a silicon chip on the other side....the chip amplifies the signal, and also uses a Schmidt conditioning circuit to make the "trigger" signal usable for the ECU.
                        A metal vane rotor goes between the magnet, and the chip....Edelbrock's ECU's use the "leading edge signal". This is the signal when the metal vane "first" breaks ( shields ) the magnetic field between the magnet, and the chip.
                        The signal when the metal vane un-breaks the magnetic field. Is called the trailing edge signal. No ECU's really use that signal.

Any way. You can use Edelbrocks #3675 distributor. I'm not sure if it's a short one.
                        Last edited by BITE_ME; 11-07-2017, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Iron gears are for traditional camshafts. Steel is for roller camshafts.
                          http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...stributor,7108

Comment

Excellent info; thanks!! Now I need to go put my eyes on one so I can see if I can run a small ford cap on them to clear my air cleaner (drop base to clear my hood)

Comment

Doesn't look like a small ford cap can be used on the '90 Mustang distributor; there's no provision for the clips on the distributor housing. The clips are on the adapter piece that is between the dizzy housing and the cap itself.

And, as this pic shows, I dont have room for a big cap.

Anyone know if a 1.25" drop and offset base 14" air cleaner base will clear the throttle body?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by 302MGB; 11-13-2017, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X