ECU bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU bad?

I've got the PF4 on my 427 Windsor stroker, it's run flawlessly for the last three years, but died recently after a car show a few weeks ago. Initially misdiagnosed as a dying fuel pump, but I replaced that. I can detect the ECU using the app only sometimes, but it will not connect 90% of the time or if it does, it won't stay connected more then a minute or so at a time.

I've gone through the fuel pump threads and no start threads on here and tried all of those things, main relay, my pump relay (in tank pump). Power is good on Pink/black.

When it does connect and I try to start, I do get RPM signal when cranking. Confirmed spark at the distributor and fuel flow to the rails. Full charge on car and phone batteries, etc. It just won't fire.

Anything else I can check before I pull the ECU and send it in?

reinstall the update it is a sticky note above.

Comment

Post a picture of where the ECU is mounted.
      "Do you know how whipped an engine has to be to blow that loud?"....Bug from the movie Uncle Buck
      https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Reload Firmware and Map.
        Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
        Just give the Engine what it wants &
        Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

ECU is mounted in the passenger footwell like so...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Reinstalled the app on my phone ( S22+). Found that if I unpair in the phone settings, the phone sees it and I can re- pair and connect that way with the PIN. From there I can go into the app and it will connect and show the green check. No change when reinstalling the firmware and map.

I notice it's showing no fuel pressure, even though I can hear the pump cycling as it should on turning the key on, and I get a spray of pressurized fuel when I loosen the rail fitting immediately after ( catching it in a towel of course).

Comment

My CDI box (MSD digital 6) is in the footwell also, but has never caused problems on the past, BTW. Do they get noisy if they're dying? I've had share of the old boxes go bad, but never the newer digital ones.
              Last edited by jlc72521; 09-22-2022, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Does that ECU mount location look problematic? (Stupid autocorrect)
                Last edited by jlc72521; 09-23-2022, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jlc72521 View Post
                  ECU is mounted in the passenger footwell like so...
                  That YELLOW connector under the "plastic" part of the relay is a no, no.....you intermittently loose the ground connection.
                  It's also crimped on the wrong side....tooth part of the hand crimper goes on the curved side of the terminal, not on the seam.
                  "Do you know how whipped an engine has to be to blow that loud?"....Bug from the movie Uncle Buck

Comment

My CDI box (MSD digital 6) is in the footwell also, but has never caused problems on the past, BTW. Do they get noisy if they're dying? I've had share of the old boxes go bad, but never the newer digital ones.
                    MSD boxes are not really needed with current Edelbrock ECU's.....you should just bypass the box, and run a recommended ignition coil, as a test.

Comment

Ah, ok, I'll try bypassing the box. It was there from the Fitech I was running previously.

Comment

Reinstalled the app on my phone ( S22+)
                        I notice it's showing no fuel pressure, even though I can hear the pump cycling as it should on turning the key on, and I get a spray of pressurized fuel when I loosen the rail fitting immediately after ( catching it in a towel of course).
                        Fuel Pressure readout is for information only, the computer does not use it as an input. Check the connection first, but you may have a bad sensor.

Comment

That ground plug in the photo was for the CDI box. The ECU ground is in another location, but is correct. Bypassing it and using a standard canister coil (Blaster 2) has no effect on the problem though - still can't 'see' the ECU from within the app unless I unpair and repair with it in my phone, then the ECU will see it and connect. But still, no start, it just cranks.

Comment

Android or Ios ?

What app# / Firmware ?
                            Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
                            Just give the Engine what it wants &
                            Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

Android ( Samsung S22+) ‚Äč

Comment

Working...
                              X