Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun with flames - ability to shoot exhaust flame with ProFlo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with flames - ability to shoot exhaust flame with ProFlo?

One of my son’s favorite features of the 1970 Nova we built together was the ability to shoot flames out the exhaust on demand.I am sure many if not most are familiar but the process... interrupt the spark, let the raw fuel pour down the exhaust to be lit by spark plugs just inside the exhaust tips.

It will be easy enough to test it but it’s going to be a while before I can get under the hood again so I thought I would pick your collective brains.

I am curious about your thoughts…
    1. Will the ECU react so quickly that the fuel is stopped or reduced before we accumulate enough to light and maintain a decent flame?
    2. Will this result is damage and replacement of the O2 sensor?

I have never tried it. Not even when driving carbureted vehicles over several decades. I did know about it though.

1.The ECU is quick. I doubt the injectors will open and spray any additional fuel with the key turned off. It's not a feature that EFI would be programmed to support. Stuck open leaky injectors might do it though.
    2.Get on a long downhill and try it.

Comment

I’ll say no.

But you can always try the propane option if you really want to. That is what some of the more advanced users did.

the o2 is far enough up stream it might not be impacted. But it’s $100 out of pocket if it does.

“Key bangers” is what we called them and they were always a great way to destroy a muffler too.

Comment

Originally posted by ElFuego View Post
        I have never tried it. Not even when driving carbureted vehicles over several decades. I did know about it though.

1.The ECU is quick. I doubt the injectors will open and spray any additional fuel with the key turned off. It's not a feature that EFI would be programmed to support. Stuck open leaky injectors might do it though.
        2.Get on a long downhill and try it.
        The key will still be on, I will just be rerouting the power from the main coil to the coils in the trunk by way of a push-button

Originally posted by Monkeysgarage View Post
        I’ll say no.

But you can always try the propane option if you really want to. That is what some of the more advanced users did.

the o2 is far enough up stream it might not be impacted. But it’s $100 out of pocket if it does.

“Key bangers” is what we called them and they were always a great way to destroy a muffler too.
        I have zero experience with O2 sensors. My concern with them is not that it would be affected by the flames, more that it might be affected by that much fuel running past it.

For the few years we had the original setup, we had good luck (no problems with the muffler or Johnny Law) and a lot of fun with them. I guess I will just leave it up to him and see if he is willing to chance a $100 out of his pocket to give it a try.

Comment

Do it, so the others can learn. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Heatsoaked View Post
            Do it, so the others can learn. Lol
            I was thinking the same thing… for me the 50/50 odds of having to spend $100 for a new O2 sensor is a worthy gamble if the payoff is the return of the flames on demand (I enjoy them as much as he does)

I will report back after he comes home for Christmas break…

Comment

there is a flame thorougher kit you can install and it will through the flame 4 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jstubbert View Post

I was thinking the same thing… for me the 50/50 odds of having to spend $100 for a new O2 sensor is a worthy gamble if the payoff is the return of the flames on demand (I enjoy them as much as he does)

I will report back after he comes home for Christmas break…
                Killing spark ---that is provided by the ECU is good way to possibly damage ECU.

$600 for a replacement : https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3543

???????????????????????
                An expensive " Flameshow"
                Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
                Just give the Engine what it wants &
                Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

Originally posted by 2700 Cast View Post

Killing spark ---that is provided by the ECU is good way to possibly damage ECU.

$600 for a replacement : https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3543

???????????????????????
                  An expensive " Flameshow"
                  if we never took risks, Lance Armstrong would have never landed on the moon…

Comment

LiveStrong

Just do it.

Closest I ever got to doing it was lighting farts up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jstubbert View Post

if we never took risks, Lance Armstrong would have never landed on the moon…
                      I know Lance is a very strong bike rider, but that must of been a heck of a trip to the moon. BTW, Lance's risks did cost him dearly.

Don't think you'll find anyone here that's using a flame thrower with a ProFlo 4. They make propane kits and other kits for efi, Google is your friend.

While you're searching Google for flame throwers, type in Neil Armstrong.

Comment

Originally posted by CorkyE View Post

I know Lance is a very strong bike rider, but that must of been a heck of a trip to the moon. BTW, Lance's risks did cost him dearly.

Don't think you'll find anyone here that's using a flame thrower with a ProFlo 4. They make propane kits and other kits for efi, Google is your friend.

While you're searching Google for flame throwers, type in Neil Armstrong.
                        Now that is funny!!

Comment

I had flames at 6600 rpm when the rev-limitor kicked in while doing a burnout. It was a night time burnout. The video was way cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Rays1969cud View Post
                            I had flames at 6600 rpm when the rev-limitor kicked in while doing a burnout. It was a night time burnout. The video was way cool.
                            Post the video, would like to see it.

The rev limiter on these systems is not a soft cut or random drop type. The ECU doesn't like it when you go on the limiter, blows the afr's into outer space. I put my shift light back in because of this, light comes on about 200rpm before limiter.

Comment

Outer space has no air. Hence why there is only a electric car out there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_M...Tesla_Roadster
                              In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
                              https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Working...
                              X