Pro flo 4 not grounding coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro flo 4 not grounding coil

Hello all I'm hope someone has some ideas to help.
    I've been running the pro flo 4 on my SBC for about 1000 miles. During a drive the engine shut off, no restart.
    I found that the coil had shorted. I replaced the coil and still not getting any spark. I have 12v at the coil but the ECU does not ground the coil. I replaced the ECU still not grounding there coil.
    I have continuity from the coil ground all the way to m1, M2, M3, m4 at the ECU. I have continuity from L3, L4 to chassis/battery ground.
    I have three 5v reference at the distributor with a good ground at the distributor connector.
    Using the app the ECU is reading RPM.
    12v source to the ECU and to the coil is good while cranking.
    Still no spark due to the ECU not grounding the coil.
    Any ideas?
    ​​​​​​ Thank you

What coil is/was being used?
    Was anything other then the coil hooked to the negative of the coil?
    In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
    https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

The MSD Street fire was on it. The new coil is the MSD blaster 2. Both recommended by Edelbrock. Nothing extra is on the pro flo harness at all.

Comment

Does M1 have a ground output, when cranking ?........check at the 48 pin harness....if YES. Then check further up to the coil connection.

If NO. Then makes sure the connectors in the 48 are properly seated.

In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.

Comment

Well I found the issue. I measured at m1 through 4 found they were all grounding correctly. Turns out I realized I was making my live measurement at the coil wrong while cranking. I was volt dropping across the coil. Pulled the HV wire off the coil and plugged it directly to a plug. There I had spark.
          looks like when the coil shorted it overheated the rotor in the distributor and soften the plastic the holds the tip of the rotor to the spring making it loose. The problem the entire time was the rotor.
          Thanks for the suggestion my friend. It help clear my head to realize my mistake.

Comment

Your welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by KennethB View Post
              Well I found the issue. I measured at m1 through 4 found they were all grounding correctly. Turns out I realized I was making my live measurement at the coil wrong while cranking. I was volt dropping across the coil. Pulled the HV wire off the coil and plugged it directly to a plug. There I had spark.
              looks like when the coil shorted it overheated the rotor in the distributor and soften the plastic the holds the tip of the rotor to the spring making it loose. The problem the entire time was the rotor.
              Thanks for the suggestion my friend. It help clear my head to realize my mistake.
              Thank YOU for posting what the issue was and how you fixed it. That helps those in the future.

Comment

Working...
              X