Distributor for 460 Ford is .400" too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor for 460 Ford is .400" too long

I am on the last part of my install of the PF-4 in my street rod (460 Ford). I tried to install the distributor only to find that it is .400" too long. Apparently this is a problem with the small blocks as well. I could possibly push the retainer washer down on the shaft but they are thin and breakage is a concern. I don't want small fragments in my oil. I could also cut off the excess to make it the same as the MSD that I am removing, that was the correct length and worked fine; but why would I be required to modify something that is supposed to fit in the first place? Right now I am waiting for an answer but I know that I shouldn't expect much. I just hope that when this thing is running that the distributor is the end of the issues.

Check out this thread for the same issue to see if there is some info there that can help: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...shaft-too-long

DC

Comment

Why the hell is it that this is such a problem? If MSD can make a distributor the correct length, why is is that Edelbrock can't? Part of the purpose of buying a kit is so that the parts work together without having to call tech lines ang go on forums and go through all the BS? I don't care about all of the call center "your call is important, belly rub stuff" because I shouldn't have to be calling in the first place.

Comment

If it's a ARP shaft you cut the distributor........it's ARP fault for this.

If its a stock type shaft. You just push the distributor in.

PS. I have a 460.
        In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
        https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

I have experimented with pushing the clip down on a spare stock shaft and yes it will go down. The shaft in my motor is stock as well but when I attempted to tap it down using a 1/2" od tube it got to a point and won't go further, possibly from a burr etc. I probably could simply install the distributor and use the force of the distributor clamp to finish pushing it down but; we need to remember that there needs to be running clearance between the oil pump and the clip on the shaft and it can't bear on the bottom of the distributor. Also, the clip is designed to resist moving in the down direction by the orientation of the legs on the clip. That is probably why the clip won't move further down the shaft. Running the assembly: oil pump, shaft, and distributor with no running clearance will eventually lead to oil pump failure.
          Time to hear from the masterminds at Edelbrock.

Comment

As a person who builds various motors that uses a clip on the oil pump drive.....Fords are not the only one.
            Your above post is full of misinformation.
            In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.

Comment

If I am wrong please correct me.

Comment

Love the bait. But this fish is not biting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Murphy View Post
                  I have experimented with pushing the clip down on a spare stock shaft and yes it will go down. The shaft in my motor is stock as well but when I attempted to tap it down using a 1/2" od tube it got to a point and won't go further, possibly from a burr etc. I probably could simply install the distributor and use the force of the distributor clamp to finish pushing it down but; we need to remember that there needs to be running clearance between the oil pump and the clip on the shaft and it can't bear on the bottom of the distributor. Also, the clip is designed to resist moving in the down direction by the orientation of the legs on the clip. That is probably why the clip won't move further down the shaft. Running the assembly: oil pump, shaft, and distributor with no running clearance will eventually lead to oil pump failure.
                  Time to hear from the masterminds at Edelbrock.

Our PF4 kits are " Universal " they fit a wide range of vehicles & engines.
                  One customers distributor might just drop in on the first try, others may need some help.

Check the reviews, not much mention, but they Love the bang for the buck ----getting a timing control dist.
                  Check our competitors they charge you an added fee for the dist.
                  Last edited by 2700 Cast; 07-12-2021, 08:56 AM.
                  Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
                  Just give the Engine what it wants &
                  Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

Why not just make it the same length as stock so it is sure to fit? Sounds pretty "universal" to me.
                    My question now is; what do you folks suggest for a fix?

Comment

It is stock for a factory EFI system. The triggering is calibrated for Edelbrocks EFI.

Or put another way:

It's not a points distributor.

Comment

The MSD is not a points distributor either. Somehow MSD has figured out that the original length works. It worked in my motor for 40,000+ miles. Cutting the end off of the distributor is certainly possible but I simply want the big E to tell me that is their solution. Nowhere in any of their instructions is anything about this. Let's not forget the warranty issue.
                        Who are you anyway?

Comment

A very experienced, and knowledgeable person.
                          Who has been asked that same question by Edelbrock employees.

Comment

Ok, I measured three distributors: the MSD, a stock Ford EFI 1988 and another from 1993 and all were within .040". The Edelbrock is approx. .500" longer. So big E moderator do you recommend cutting the shaft?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Murphy View Post
                              Ok, I measured three distributors: the MSD, a stock Ford EFI 1988 and another from 1993 and all were within .040". The Edelbrock is approx. .500" longer. So big E moderator do you recommend cutting the shaft?
                              Cutting the shaft is not recommended.

Using the stock OEM oil pump drive and adjusting clip position is recommended.
                              Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
                              Just give the Engine what it wants &
                              Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

Working...
                              X