Intake Air Temps to hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Air Temps to hot?

Hey so if my IATs are in the 170s is that too hot and is proflo pulling timing because of it?

I'm no expert on IATs but mine seems to stay in the 110-120s. SBC w/ headers in a 71 Blazer running stock wheel wells for reference. 170 seems REALLY hot.

Comment

Yeah thats what i think. I have headers too and its in an 96 bronco. What are you doing for you intake setup?

Comment

Maybe my sensor is messed up and is not accurate? How would i test like is there a data sheet for the temp ranges so i can test the resistance?

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonBronco View Post
          Maybe my sensor is messed up and is not accurate? How would i test like is there a data sheet for the temp ranges so i can test the resistance?
          Remove the hood and go for a drive? Should see much lower temps i'd assume.

Comment

Mine was over 200. Stop and go traffic in Yuma Arizona during the summer. Ambient temps around 118-120.

Then I saw the light! Threw that purty aftermarket open element filter in the dumpster. Put the factory housing back on it and ran the inlet hose back to it's original location on the rad support. My IAT dropped 40 degrees and it eliminated the IAC noise completely. Cool air is happy air.

Comment

Originally posted by Heatsoaked View Post
              Mine was over 200. Stop and go traffic in Yuma Arizona during the summer. Ambient temps around 118-120.

Then I saw the light! Threw that purty aftermarket open element filter in the dumpster. Put the factory housing back on it and ran the inlet hose back to it's original location on the rad support. My IAT dropped 40 degrees and it eliminated the IAC noise completely. Cool air is happy air.
              In less your ride is a Hot Air Balloon

It's funny how some people don't realize that the Factory Snorkel is a fantastic design.....it reduces noise, and it's small intake helps bring in cooler air.
              In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
              https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Due to various different air inlet combinations & styles, The ProFlo4 system does not adjust timing based on Air Inlet Temp until above 160-degrees.

In general, cool air is happy air and will typically make more power. The inlet temps described by the OP are on the high side and at 170-degrees you may see some reduction in ignition timing.

It would agree with Bite_Me regarding the benefits of running a Factory Snorkel or similar design that better directs cool air into the engine. An added benefit is that the IAC noise is often greatly reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by Heatsoaked View Post

What's the IAC noise you are referring to?

Comment

The IAC Valve will inherently make a suction noise as air passes through the small valve opening. This noise is more apparent on some engines than other, depending on variables such as Cam profile, exhaust, etc.

It has been a topic of complaint from some customers and a closed air filter assembly can help minimize the noise.

Comment

Working...
                    X