Newbe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbe

Hello, Ive just joined and am thinking about a Pro Flo 4 for my new build 496 big Block Chevy 11.1 compression AFR 290 oval port heads cam yet to be decided, anything I should be aware of before I go ahead with it? other than when will pro Flo 4's be back in stock????

Pro Flo 4 will work well with your BBC.

Contact e-Comm Sales for parts availability 888-799-1135
    Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
    Just give the Engine what it wants &
    Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

please read a lot of the post hear to get an idea of what others have done and the problems . most don't read the install manual enough [4-5 times] at least i did and the e-tuner manual . i used all edelbrock parts i.e. p.c.v valve / coil / fuel pressure regulator. don't back any powers and grounds to old wiring connect to direct key on power and to the battery and make sure the engine to frame and frame to body for good grounds.

Comment

Having looked through the forum there appears to be lots of issues with the system, or is this a small percentage of the number of units sold?

Comment

it's the way some install it . i had some minor trouble but this is the best system out there . some hear were fiteck and holly user and switched

Comment

Originally posted by hemiuk View Post
            Having looked through the forum there appears to be lots of issues with the system, or is this a small percentage of the number of units sold?
            Define issues?
            In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
            https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

I agree with most regulars here. If you read and understand the manual (takes a few times and prior experience with engines), the install is easy and system works GREAT. Most of the threads here are asking for help "What did I do wrong on my install?" rather than "Why doesn't this system work correctly?" When people get frustrated or confused, they typically blame the hardware and not their install...so the regulars and moderators here try to sort out what and how to fix the install error. With that said, there ARE rare occasions something just didn't work correctly but a call to Tech Line will solve that quickly.

Your application looks straight forward. I would try and run/break-in the engine BEFORE install of the EFI to isolate new build issues vs. install issues. Also get the original AFR, idle, timing, and temps so that you have a reference when setting up the EFI.

Then just jump in, and when you are confused, come back and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post

Define issues?
                I would agree with this. There have been plenty of issues related to people not following the instructions. As with anything, there will be some real issues caused by material problems but the greatest majority of what I see as problems on here are self induced. If you are going to spend the money on this setup, then put in the work, to understand what you are doing, before the install. Do not blow off the cautions and notes. Don't think you are smarter than the people who designed it. If you have one of those few problems that is a real material problem, they will replace the offending part under warranty. One of the issues that comes up often is TPS problems. They will replace a bad TPS but most of us don't want to wait for a TPS to come in, under warranty, so we can drive our cars. They have a list of replacement part numbers, so if you are as impatient as most of us, you can get it back on the road after a trip to you local parts store. One thing you may want to consider is that most people who have stuff working right, do not spend a bunch of time on the forum. Good reviews are always harder to get than bad reviews. I don't know the figure, but if you took total sales of PF4 systems and ran that against number of people with real material problems, I think you would find the percentage extremely low. Perfect? No, but pretty damn good. Find a similar system that offers the same support if you can. I'll stick with this one.

Comment

Agree with you ddsmith. I'm one of the few where the system is performing as it should, but I hang around for the experience. If one reads the threads all the way through, a majority of startup/initial install issues are either install errors or other engine components not working properly. Improper wiring seems to be in the lead.

Comment

i too hang around here to try and help as others some smart people hear no drama just lets get it running and have some fun.

my system worked ruff on the first map i chose and with i read hear i tried 2 others the second was it and the car starts right up and run's strong

Comment

I'm here because Edelbrocks products actually work as advertised, and customer service is the best.....not to mention a 2 year warranty on EFI systems. Is case your build takes a little longer then a weekend to complete.
                      In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
                      https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Check the reviews on Fi-tech & Holley, you want to see issue s...???

PF4 is rock-solid.......added bonus " World Class Customer Service "

Most complaints are caused by not following the instructions.
                        Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
                        Just give the Engine what it wants &
                        Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

I had a Fi tech unit on my Dodge 360 for over four years it never was what I expected it to be the ECM had to be sent back because it fried because of the heat issue($400) and I could never get the IAC numbers to stay between three and 10. I am very happy with the Edelbrock PF4 I did have the issue with the throttle position sensor, I bought a new one at O’Reilly‘s it has worked perfect ever since.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies it's much appreciated, I have been looking at all the offerings and the cord that struck home was the line others are a glorified carb relying on the runners to pull the fuel through, which when you think about it kinda makes sense. If Edelbrock ever get the systems back in stock I think im going to get one, as for spare parts, not so easy for me to just run down to the local arts shop and get something of the shelf as I live in England. but again thank you all for your input

Comment

Working...
                            X