compatible coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compatible coils

i've been checking the specs of the edelbrock coil nr 22746 , it has a primary resistance of 0.7 ohms and a secondary of 4.7 ohms, wondering how the bosch blue coil can be compatible having 2.93 ohms primary and 10.5 ohms secondary .... we installed same on an amc 401 and we believe is messing up everything ... misfires, backfires, etc ,etc .... I'm not a technician but it looks bosch blue coil is totally off specs for the efi pro flo 4 .... can anybody clarify ?

the coil speck's are in the install manual . if you don't follow the speck's you can fry the e c u.

Comment

that's the point .... on the installation manual the bosch blue coil is indicated by edelbrock as a compatible one , but bosch specs are totally different from the other compatible coils ...

Comment

I looked into the Bosch coil when I installed my PF4XT system. I was not comfortable that the specs were so far away from the others. Good specs were hard to find and varied quite a bit depending on the source. I also found a blurb that said that particular part number (9220081083) had been discontinued. And, I found several posts on various forums about failures. So, I chose another coil.

But, the instructions just say the system needs a minimum primary resistance of 0.6 Ohms and a minimum inductance of 6.0mH. The Bosch coil meets those specs.

I ended up using the MSD Blaster 2 #8202. I've not had any issues with it.

Good luck,

DC
        Last edited by DC3; 06-01-2021, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DC3 View Post
          I
          I ended up using the MSD Blaster 2 #8202. I've not had any issues with it.
          Same. MSD Blaster 2 and zero issues.

Comment

Originally posted by birretta68 View Post
            that's the point .... on the installation manual the bosch blue coil is indicated by edelbrock as a compatible one , but bosch specs are totally different from the other compatible coils ...
            It appears there are several " Blue Bosch coils"
            I'm not sure which one was tested for the instructions.

The only way to verify is to test primary resistance.

If measurement is over .6 OHMS it is OK to use.

Note: Most customers report the MSD # 8202 is what is readily available to work with PF4.
            Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
            Just give the Engine what it wants &
            Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

Originally posted by birretta68 View Post
              i've been checking the specs of the edelbrock coil nr 22746 , it has a primary resistance of 0.7 ohms and a secondary of 4.7 ohms, wondering how the bosch blue coil can be compatible having 2.93 ohms primary and 10.5 ohms secondary .... we installed same on an amc 401 and we believe is messing up everything ... misfires, backfires, etc ,etc .... I'm not a technician but it looks bosch blue coil is totally off specs for the efi pro flo 4 .... can anybody clarify ?
              The bosch coil part number recommend in the Sticky is wrong.......that coil number ( and Ohm rating ) is for a 4 or 6 cylinder motor......you will get a very weak spark from it if used on a V8 motor.
              In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
              https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

tks everybody, i'll change the coil and let's hope engine will finally run properly .... anycase i believe edelbrock should amend the instructions or send an errata corriege ......

Comment

gd day finally I changed the coil, we installed the msd blaster II and engine runs fine ...... so we had a neverending nightmare because on edelbrock manual instruction they erroneously indicated the bosh blue coil as a compatible one .... really disappointing ...!!!

Comment

if you read the manual and have the ability to use a volt / ohms meter there is no problem the speck's are there . that is what you go by not color and if you bought the edelbrock parts for the system then there is no problem.

Comment

we asked specifically twice to edelbrock technician and he said the bosh we installed was fine ....

Comment

The list has been updated.

The technician was probably referencing none updated referencing material.

Edelbrock is constantly updating information pertaining to the product it makes.

The forum stickys contain more current information, then some of the instructions, printed with the kits, or on the App.
                        In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
                        https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Working...
                        X