Pro Flo 4 35770 on 383 Chevy running rich (10 AFR) after 3500 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post
    I "think" a 10 on the display is a indication that some, but not all the wires for the O2 sensor are connected.

Check the ones at the ECU, and both connections past the ECU.

Forgot to mention:
    It looks like the O2 sensor is missing 1 wire. But it's not.....the connector is "internally" connected to a "special lazar trimmed resistor".
    During the warm up time for the o2 sensor the reading is 10, atleast it is on my tablet for 30 seconds - 1 minute, after that the reading is normal. I belive the actuall afr reading is not under 11 on this system, so 10 means it not reading at all.
    Last edited by Mopar493; 05-08-2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Yes.
      Most people see 10's when it's not connected, and 22's when it's broken.

With no O2 sensor ( unplug it, or turn off Closed Loop ) the system will use the Calibration map for figuring out the fuel strategy.

But

The IAT will richen the fuel mixture if it's cold, and take fuel out when hot........you will have issues if it's not connected to the system.

The TPS could be adding fuel too.....you need to have a perfectly working TPS.

A vacuum referenced fuel regulator is a must......or it will be adding too much fuel at idle.
      In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
      https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I key on and wait for 30 seconds the AFR reads 11. I did pull the vacuum line to the regulator and the engine started running worse than it was. My son has the exact same Pro Flo 4 kit on the exact same 383 engine as I have and is running the same fuel map 5029. Could I put his computer in my truck and see if that fixes my rich running engine? I will call Edelbrock tomorrow and see if they can help.

Comment

ECU's are all the same.
          So no problem switching.
          In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
          https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Switched ECU’s and that didn’t fix the problem. After running a compression check I found the problem. #1 cylinder had 0 PSI compression. After a little troubleshooting I found the #1 intake valve spring broken. So I will replace all the valve springs and check the compression again. Should be good after that.

Comment

Originally posted by dynomac View Post
              Switched ECU’s and that didn’t fix the problem. After running a compression check I found the problem. #1 cylinder had 0 PSI compression. After a little troubleshooting I found the #1 intake valve spring broken. So I will replace all the valve springs and check the compression again. Should be good after that.
              Thanks for the update.
              Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
              Just give the Engine what it wants &
              Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

Replaced all the valve springs, readjusted the valves and engine runs great again. Driven the truck for a few weeks now and all is well. Thanks for all the posts to my question. When you hit the Rev Limiter with these Pro-Flo 4 systems what exactly happens? I think I found the rev limiter today for the first time and want to know what it actually sounds like when you reach the limiter.

Comment

Working...
                X