Pro Flo 4 35770 on 383 Chevy running rich (10 AFR) after 3500 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Flo 4 35770 on 383 Chevy running rich (10 AFR) after 3500 miles

Been running my 35770 kit on my 383 Roller Cam Chevy for about two years now and have driven about 3500 miles. Been great so far but the other day while out on a joy ride the engine wanted to die at the stop light. Glanced at all my gauges (Have 10 Autometer gauges to monitor engine) and noticed the AFR was at 10. Running really rich. Got the truck home and looked for exhaust leaks, vacuum leaks wires disconnected and didn't find a thing. Replaced the O'2 sensor with a Bosch 17025 and the problem still persist. All sensors on the tablet seem to read normal except injector duty cycle was 11-15 at idle. The engine will not idle now, seems to be running so rich it chokes the engine. I can make the engine run by giving it a little throttle but the fumes are so bad it will burn your eyes and it sounds terrible. I tried calling Tech Support but the message says they are closed till Monday? I will try and call again next week. Any ideas out there??? Thanks.

1. Where did you get the replacement O2 sensor? Lots of knock-off sensors out there...

Here is the test video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsr55FInfwk

Best time to get thru to Tech Support ----early in the morning -get on the callback list.
    Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
    Just give the Engine what it wants &
    Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

Forgot to add, I replaced my spark plugs, swapped in a different coil and replaced the spark plug wires. Pulled the valve covers and checked for loose or broken rockers, no issues found and engine still runs badly and very rich.

Comment

Purchased the O2 sensor from NAPA.

Comment

What sparkplugs did you use?
          In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
          https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

I also checked to see if the MAP sensor was reading correctly and it was. I had a good ground, 5 volts reference voltage and with vacuum applied the voltage went up to almost 5 volts.

Comment

I have NGK R Iridium spark plugs

Comment

I’ll try and load a 20 second video of the digital dash board with it running.

Comment

Well the video on my phone is too big to send and my tablet that came with the kit will not connect to the ECU so I could record a small video to post. My Samsung Tablet will connect to the ECU but I do not have a recording app like the tablet that came with my kit. The only thing I can think at this point is something is wrong with the ECU. I will call Edelbrock and see how much it would cost to look at my ECU and turn around time would be. I had a problem with this ECU when I tried to update the firmware shortly after I got the system and had to send it back to Edelbrock to repair.

Comment

My spark plugs are NGK R Laser Platinum, not iridium.

Comment

I have compiled all the things I have done to resolve my poor (rich) running engine into one post:

I purchased my system from Summit Racing on November 19, 2018. I have driven about 3,500 miles with this system. I tried a firmware update shortly after I got the system and the computer stopped working and I had to send it in for repair. Only issues I had prior to my truck running extremely rich was off idle stumble and when the engine is cold, and you put the vehicle in gear the engine turns off. Other than these issues the fuel injection system has been great!

Things I have tried to correct my engine running rich issue. I was driving around and all of a sudden the engine was running rough. I noticed the AFR was around 10 with all other engine readings normal. So I was 2 miles from home and I got the truck home. Troubleshooting done so far: replaced the O’2 sensor, checked the MAP sensor, replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires, checked the distributor cap, checked for vacuum leaks (1 found & repaired), checked for exhaust leaks (none found), removed the valve covers and turned the engine over by hand to ensure all valves are opening and closing properly (they were), replaced my coil & coil wire (had MSD Blaster 2 on put MSD Blaster 3 #8223 on) and nothing has fixed the issue of the engine running extremely rich. The engine will not idle now and the provided tablet will not connect to the ECU but my Samsung tablet will connect. The ECU serial # and fuel map (5029) are still visible on the E-Tuner page. With my Samsung tablet connected all readings on the digital display are normal except AFR reads 10 and injection reads from 9-15 for the 30 seconds I make it run. During the entire 30 second run the AFR reading never changes from 10, it reads 10 the entire time. I turned the key to on for a little more than 30 seconds and the AFR read 11 but once the engine is running the reading stays at 10. Checked each header tube with a heat gun and all cylinders are firing. When I removed the spark plugs all smelled like gas.

Comment

I "think" a 10 on the display is a indication that some, but not all the wires for the O2 sensor are connected.

Check the ones at the ECU, and both connections past the ECU.

Forgot to mention:
                        It looks like the O2 sensor is missing 1 wire. But it's not.....the connector is "internally" connected to a "special lazar trimmed resistor".
                        Last edited by BITE_ME; 05-07-2021, 05:05 PM.
                        In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.

Comment

Fuel pressure regulator internally broken and feeding extra fuel from vacuum line? Might be worth to check

Comment

Fuel is coming from the injectors....."injector reads from 9 - 15".....over 3 is some times high.... lot's of "depends on stuff".

Comment

Sorry don’t have the answer but I have seen 10AFR on my system the past couple of times during warmups for some reason. Actually last time I connected the tablet it told me it needed a firmware update??? If I go into the diagnostic page all sensors are green. Engine is not running rich and actually runs like the O2 sensor is good during warmup. (I just replaced O2 not long ago). After it warms up the display starts reading correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X