X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    64 Sportfury

• 64 Sportfury
    replied
    I have a similar issue with my 390 cu (stroker 318 Mopar). I have a mild 210/218* hyd roller with mild ported heads, 14.5" vacuum hot idle, in-gear. I am also using Map 5024 and cannot put the car in gear before 165* temp without two-footing it. Once it gets past the two-foot its fine. I have the cold fuel maxxed out as well. She also, at times, dies with the a/c on at a stop and when I go into reverse from drive. Its reading lean when it dies. I have the idle, cruise and accel global modifiers adding fuel as well. I was thinking of trying the 5029 as opposed to the 5025. I thought the larger displacement map would add the fuel throughout better. All the other numbers are within spec. Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• CorkyE
    replied
    Originally posted by CMerchant View Post

That or someone mentioned trying 5029 who had a 385cid combo similar to mine. I'll play around with it this weekend and see if I get a better fit, and no dying in gear below ~110.
    Likely me. I've had to pull some fuel out at idle and cruise, play with cold start and crank fuel a bit, but it runs like a beast.

Leave a comment:

• CMerchant

• CMerchant
    replied
    Originally posted by mcbutterball View Post

one of mine is kind of similar to yours… 396 stroker (like a 383 but with a 3.875 stroke) and a 230° intake duration. Vortec heads that have had a lot of port work done. 9-10 isg vacuum. I loaded the race cam tune and it was spot on from the first crank up. I bet that tune gets you close.
    That or someone mentioned trying 5029 who had a 385cid combo similar to mine. I'll play around with it this weekend and see if I get a better fit, and no dying in gear below ~110.

Leave a comment:

• mcbutterball

• mcbutterball
    replied
    Originally posted by CMerchant View Post

I think I might do that. Right now I'm on map 5024 for my 383 w/ 224/230 cam. It makes ~12ish vacuum at hot idle so I am very close to being in the 5025 map parameters. I'll be sure to save my 5024 map before the swap just in case.
    one of mine is kind of similar to yours… 396 stroker (like a 383 but with a 3.875 stroke) and a 230° intake duration. Vortec heads that have had a lot of port work done. 9-10 isg vacuum. I loaded the race cam tune and it was spot on from the first crank up. I bet that tune gets you close.

Leave a comment:

• CMerchant

• CMerchant
    replied
    Originally posted by Atarchus View Post
    If you are needing to add that much fuel, you should definitely try the next larger map. I had to do this with my engine too. I suspect my ported aluminum heads and hydraulic rolller cam breathe a lot better than what the map for my engine size is expecting. I had to pull a little fuel from the map, but it was only about -5. Personally, I'd rather be pulling 5% from a rich map than adding 20% to a lean map.
    I think I might do that. Right now I'm on map 5024 for my 383 w/ 224/230 cam. It makes ~12ish vacuum at hot idle so I am very close to being in the 5025 map parameters. I'll be sure to save my 5024 map before the swap just in case.

Leave a comment:

• Atarchus

• Atarchus
    replied
    If you are needing to add that much fuel, you should definitely try the next larger map. I had to do this with my engine too. I suspect my ported aluminum heads and hydraulic rolller cam breathe a lot better than what the map for my engine size is expecting. I had to pull a little fuel from the map, but it was only about -5. Personally, I'd rather be pulling 5% from a rich map than adding 20% to a lean map.

Leave a comment:

• CMerchant

• CMerchant
    replied
    Originally posted by jm73340 View Post
    My (guess) is if it stalls when cold and put in gear then it’s most likely lean so less air would be needed. I had the same issue when I first started out with the system and ended up changing maps based upon idle vacuum and no more issues.

I’m only second guessing due to the statement of having the cold start enrichment maxed out.
    I have thought about trying the next richest map only because when i first set up the system Peter had me use a map then add +30 to idle and cruise. The short fuel trims were still trying to add more fuel so perhaps a slight bump in map would help. I need to experiment i guess.

Leave a comment:

• jm73340
    replied
    My (guess) is if it stalls when cold and put in gear then it’s most likely lean so less air would be needed. I had the same issue when I first started out with the system and ended up changing maps based upon idle vacuum and no more issues.

I’m only second guessing due to the statement of having the cold start enrichment maxed out.

Leave a comment:

• BITE_ME
    replied
    I would have to see a picture of the Digital Display. In gear, and out of gear to make any judgement calls.

Leave a comment:

• CMerchant

• CMerchant
    replied
    Cold enrichment is already maxed out for the temp range in question. For the PCV I have the adjustable MEWagner unit - in your experience does the engine want more or less air flow for this issue?

Leave a comment:

• 91 camaro racer

• 91 camaro racer
    replied
    Does it go lean right before it shuts off? Could adjust the cold enrichment maybe.

Leave a comment:

• BITE_ME
    replied
    You try a different PVC valve.
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• CMerchant

• CMerchant
    replied
    Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post
    3 to 7 is generally ok when hot......some times if you plug the IAC when hot, then adjust the idle speed, you can get the IAC lower......your basically letting the throttle blades regulating the amount of air needed for idle VS letting the IAC valve do it.

What is the IAC percentage before you get to 185?

Also. Some times the PCV valve doesn't play nice.... basically plug the port going into the throttle body, and try putting it in gear.

​​​
    Sorry for diggin up an old thread but what is the remedy if the PCV is causing the engine to die when put into gear? I have a similar issue and my engine will die if the engine temp isnt 110 or higher. I have not yet tried removing the PCV for testing.

Leave a comment:

• BITE_ME
    replied
    3 to 7 is generally ok when hot......some times if you plug the IAC when hot, then adjust the idle speed, you can get the IAC lower......your basically letting the throttle blades regulating the amount of air needed for idle VS letting the IAC valve do it.

What is the IAC percentage before you get to 185?

Also. Some times the PCV valve doesn't play nice.... basically plug the port going into the throttle body, and try putting it in gear.

​​​

Leave a comment:

• 78DodgeRV

• 78DodgeRV
    replied
    Cool! - When at idle at full temp, IAC is around 3-7%. What percentage should I aim during idle tuning so that it might run better when not at full temp?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X