Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forced induction PF4 has been flawless, until.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2700 Cast
    replied
    Note: the TPS/MAP sensor/coolant temp/ IAT/Fuel psi all share the same ground circuit.

With TPS issue, others may act wonky.

If you want a stock replacement sensor, Call the Techline.

If you want a sensor quickly(today) then the local #
    • Standard Products #TH42 4150 throttle body

Note: Standard Prod. seems to have a more robust internal spring, most users will agree.

Leave a comment:

• BITE_ME
    replied
    Originally posted by Lyle Simons View Post
    One other thing that may be entirely unrelated but manifested at the same time. Right at the same time the engine started acting up I noticed the engine coolant temp jumped up 20 degrees (to 200) from where it usually runs. Could the "blown" TPS somehow have caused higher engine temp? I'm speculating, but could the inflated TPS value stuck at 50 cause the mapping of erroneous ignition timing or fueling values that could cause higher than normal operating temps with extended cruising at 3000 RPM?
    That sounds plausible.

Leave a comment:

• BITE_ME
    replied
    Originally posted by Lyle Simons View Post

Is the SP brand considered superior to the AC/Delco version?
    Standard has been using a laser to mark some of their products lately.....to help combat counterfeit products.
    I'm not sure what ACDELCO has been doing.

Basically what I'm pointing out is:
    It's easier for me to recognize a Standard product, then to recognize another different brand......if you buy from Amazon, there might be a chance of someone switching the product in the box.

Leave a comment:

• Lyle Simons
    replied
    One other thing that may be entirely unrelated but manifested at the same time. Right at the same time the engine started acting up I noticed the engine coolant temp jumped up 20 degrees (to 200) from where it usually runs. Could the "blown" TPS somehow have caused higher engine temp? I'm speculating, but could the inflated TPS value stuck at 50 cause the mapping of erroneous ignition timing or fueling values that could cause higher than normal operating temps with extended cruising at 3000 RPM?
    Last edited by Lyle Simons; 04-26-2021, 05:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lyle Simons
    replied
    Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post
    The "go to brand" for sensor replacement is Standard Brands.....
    Is the SP brand considered superior to the AC/Delco version?

Leave a comment:

• BITE_ME
    replied
    I don't like the glued sensor. I cracked one open with about the same pressure, as cracking open a peanut shell.

So.

History lesson:.

Edelbrock likes to use GM sensors on the systems.

The Pro-Flo Original used Magneti Marelli TPS's.....The outside case was 1 piece, and it was brass riveted to the backside....One heck of a quality sensor.
    They stopped making the sensor ( i believe they moved manufacturing from Italy to Spain ) when they moved manufacturing plants....lots of other companies making way, way cheaper ones.
    Very old part number was 3590. Then it became 3582. Now it's #36018.......that last one is way different then the first 2.

Fast forward to today:

All the sensors are made the same way now....they glue them.

The "go to brand" for sensor replacement is Standard Brands.....they make 2 lines of products. The cheaper ones end in a T. Same part number, it just ends in a T.
    Sticky in the beginning of this Section Of The Forum has the replacement part numbers for the TPS.

Edelbrock gives you a 2 year warranty with proof of purchase.

The sensor needs to have 2 of the carbon tracks to be in contact with the wiper arm to work......no arm, no working.
    So it's most likely seeing just 1/2 it's supply voltage ( 5 volts ÷ 2 = 2.5 volts ). Hence why it says your at 1/2 throttle.

​​​​​​
    Edit: link to some testing I did: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...osition-sensor
    Last edited by BITE_ME; 04-25-2021, 11:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Forced induction PF4 has been flawless, until.......

I've been running forced induction with the off-the-shelf FI tune for about 9 months with no problems; until today. On the way home from the Goodguys Nationals in NC, the truck started to sputter and buck for no apparent reason. I pulled over suspecting a problem with fuel pressure. I linked my phone with the ap to see if anything was obvious, and it was. Throttle position was static at 49 - regardless of actual throttle position. Upon inspection of the TPS I noticed that the little round cover had popped off and the potentiometer inside was nowhere to be found. What was strange is that when I cycled the power it didn't reset to zero - it remained static at 49 and I limped home after a very hard start.

Question 1 for the moderators: is the TPS covered under the 2 year warranty, and if so, how do I exchange it (purchased 9/2019)?. If not and I need to purchase one myself, is there a difference between TH42 and TH42T?

Question 2: Any idea why the throttle position wouldn't recalibrate to zero when power was cycled? Since it's the software that resets the TPS, I can't think how a defective part could prevent the recalibration.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Lyle Simons; 04-25-2021, 06:33 PM.
Working...
X