Pro Flo Won’t Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorkyE View Post
    Glad you got it going and reported back. FWIW, you're not the first to have issues on initial start with a MSD or similar setup. I completely removed my Malory HiFire VI system when I installed the ProFlo 4, I just considered it another link that could break.
    Why would a MSD box or other brand be less reliable with the Pro flo 4 than without? Pro flo give signals to the box instead of fire the coil directly, almost the same way it works without the Pro flo. It be a link less that could break but beside of that it should work just fine, it do to me anyway with MSD 6al and a Blaster 3 coil.
    Last edited by Mopar493; 04-21-2021, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mopar493 View Post

Why would a MSD box or other brand be less reliable with the Pro flo 4 than without? Pro flo give signals to the box instead of fire the coil directly, almost the same way it works without the Pro flo. It be a link less that could break but beside of that it should work just fine, it do to me anyway with MSD 6al and a Blaster 3 coil.
      Don't think I intended to say MSD and such are less reliable. It's all about starting simple, then adding on if the base product is working as should. The OP had an issue and it was suggested to remove the MSD system. He did, and now it starts as it should. He now knows exactly where the issue is. I started my new engine with a carburetor, then installed the ProFlo 4, without the Mallory VI. I may add the Mallory system later. But since I'm not running nitrous now, and the ProFlo 4 is running great, why should I chance another link to possibly break?

Comment

Multiple Spark Discharge Boxes CD or none CD where made do to the fact that even a Dual Point Distributor ( I've ran 8 of them so far ) couldn't keep up with really high reving motors.

The Dwell time was ok for idle speeds. But always fell short at Race speeds.

With a EFI system you ( Edelbrock ) can program in different dwell times for different RPM's. Hence why you only basically need 1 ignition coil for most EFI systems.

A Coil Near Plug system is the best way to make a Carburetor, or EFI system reliable. If you normally run a distributor cap.......more parts = more reliable, when you remove wear parts like cap and rotor.

MSD CD, or none CD have been found to not play nice with under hood sensors, and the ECU....it really boils down to the installation.
        In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
        https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post
          Multiple Spark Discharge Boxes CD or none CD where made do to the fact that even a Dual Point Distributor ( I've ran 8 of them so far ) couldn't keep up with really high reving motors.

The Dwell time was ok for idle speeds. But always fell short at Race speeds.

With a EFI system you ( Edelbrock ) can program in different dwell times for different RPM's. Hence why you only basically need 1 ignition coil for most EFI systems.

A Coil Near Plug system is the best way to make a Carburetor, or EFI system reliable. If you normally run a distributor cap.......more parts = more reliable, when you remove wear parts like cap and rotor.

MSD CD, or none CD have been found to not play nice with under hood sensors, and the ECU....it really boils down to the installation.
          Thanks for answer! I was just courious if there was any reason to not drive cdi box. I had the Msd 6al from before placed inside the car so i just used it for my Pro flo 4 to. I have both the box and the ecu inside, it seems to work without any problems for me. The only problem i have had with the Pro flo so far was it running to rich at startup because of wrong map and that the engine running little to cold bevause of possible the wrong position of the temp sensor. Beside of that everything working properly. So i just leave the Msd box installed with the system or should i expect any trouble because of that later on?

Comment

I don't use them because:

I try not to go over 100 MPH.
            I need all the electrical power from the Alternator to drive my Stereo.
            There too big to hide.......I have a old Mallory unit has 1 part inside the whole box.... Seriously I think it's a Sony or Panasonic, Self Contained Stereo Amplifier Chip..2" x 2" x 1/4".

If it's mounted, and working, then leave it alone.
            ​​​​​​
            In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.

Comment

Ok so I have had a few miles logged. Here are my thoughts:

im extremely impressed with this system, to be honest. I didn’t think it would be able to handle my set up. I’m at the end of the displacement and cam, but this starts up immediately every time, and I have a nice improvement in power.

I have some issues with getting IAC to 5-15% in gear (automatic) vs park, but I think I can work this out.

I eventually want to go back to a muti spark ignition. I get some missing at 6500+ rpm so I think I lack spark energy but it’s hard to tell since I’m still working on tuning.

I expect I can turn off learning and spray nitrous with a wet system, but we’ll see how that goes. If anyone cares to know, I can report back how the system handles it.

Comment

MSD does make a special box for EFI systems....I don't believe it has any retard features for Nitrous.

You set the IAC when in park.

You might need to use a higher idle speed if your getting some surging in gear.

Comment

Working...
                X