Map selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map selection

I recently installed pro flo 4 system in my 454 Chevy engine, part# 358300.
    Engine has 230 in. 236 ex. @0.050" cam in it, but it's a solid flat tappet type.
    I loaded map# 5034, but it doesn't want to idle when cold, I'm able to keep it running by giving some throttle.
    When fully warmed up, it runs and starts good.
    It has fixed type regulator, for 58 psi.

​I've begin to think, that maybe this particular map is wrong for my engine?
    ​​​​​​
    Car hasn't been on the road yet with pro flo

Have you tried adjusting cold start and crank fuel (advanced)? The E-Tuner manual explains the functions. That looks like the correct map for your engine, at least on paper.

Comment

https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...ead-this-first

Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
      Just give the Engine what it wants &
      Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

Originally posted by CorkyE View Post
        Have you tried adjusting cold start and crank fuel (advanced)? The E-Tuner manual explains the functions. That looks like the correct map for your engine, at least on paper.
        I havent actually.
        But timing is adjusted 12 degrees, and idle iac reading is around 15%

Comment

I have a BBC with a hydraulic cam same lift with a bit less duration.
          Since opening the throttle helps, you may want to consider adjusting the throttle per the instructions to get the IAC % around 7-8%. That's where my car was happiest.
          If that does not help, you may have to adjust the cold start fuel to keep it running with no throttle input.

Comment

Originally posted by BBimpala View Post

I havent actually.
            But timing is adjusted 12 degrees, and idle iac reading is around 15%
            I think you might want to read the link the moderator sent you. Look at the section about locking the 12deg timing, and then go to how to adjust it for your engine/setup. You probably need more than 12deg. Once that is set, then go do the idle setup and throttle screw.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcmdub View Post

I think you might want to read the link the moderator sent you. Look at the section about locking the 12deg timing, and then go to how to adjust it for your engine/setup. You probably need more than 12deg. Once that is set, then go do the idle setup and throttle screw.
              Yes, timing is locked at 12 degrees, like it supposed to be. Idle spark advance is still at default 15 degrees, but display says it's around 16-18 at idle, when coolant temp is 180f.

Comment

The ecu will use timing and iac to maintain idle speed. However, recommend you follow the steps 2700 Cast sent.

Comment

Originally posted by BBimpala View Post

Yes, timing is locked at 12 degrees, like it supposed to be. Idle spark advance is still at default 15 degrees, but display says it's around 16-18 at idle, when coolant temp is 180f.
                  Call the techline 800-416-8628
                  Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
                  Just give the Engine what it wants &
                  Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

Set your timing at 22 degree initial. Set idle screw to get the iac down low like 2 percent hot. That should help.

Comment

Yeah. More like 20 to 22 base and 0% IAC at idle is ok if required. Set target at 750rpm and ONCE AT TEMP set idle using idle screw to get the car to idle at 850. That's what made mine happy.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!
                        I'll try those things today, as soon as I have time to go in my garage

Comment

I adjusted ignition advance up to 22 degrees at idle, but it didn´t help the cold start issue. I also tried to adjust cold start enrichment from advanced settings, but neither adding fuel or taking it out didn´t help at all. Only thing really helped, was when i opened throttle blades with idle screw, tps reading as around 1-2% after that, without ignition powercycling. I allowed it to warm up idling, and same time observe numbers from E tuner.

One thing that i really started to think, is manifold vacuum reading. It basically never dropped below 14 when idling. And that map #5034 is for 12 to 5 inhg.
                          Is this system able to correct enough from the map, that might be wrong for the engine?
                          I really would like to try another map, but my fuel pressure kind of stops me even try that

Comment

Select your map based on vacuum, not cam size. If your engine needs a 43PSI map I recommend you get the right regulator to run it. I had to buy both of the fixed regulators and swap them to find the right map.

You can try maps 5036 and 5037. Both are 58 PSI maps but for a larger displacement engine. 5037 is for 12-16 Vac range. Might be a little too rich but if it's close you can try to lower it with fuel modifiers. 5036 would be a little leaner than 37. Give them a try.

Comment

I got adjustable fuel pressure regulator, adjusted it to 43psi and loaded map 5033. I still haven´t drive the car yet, but at least it started way better and didn´t stall now.

Comment

Working...
                              X