Milling down manifold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling down manifold?

I have issues with hood clearance and thinking of milling down the top of the manifold .5"

Anyone done it and is there any problem doing that?

Use a hood scoop. Or lower the motor mounts.

Modifications to the intake manifold could cause interference issues with the distributor, throttle linkages, and or fuel rails.

Motor mounts are generally cheap to replace, and modify.

Even a small hood scoop gives you around 2" of extra room for a taller air filter.
    At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

I'm going to ass/u/me you've ran out of options with drop base air cleaners?

Comment

Drop base cleaners will some times interfere with the fuel rails.

Comment

Sometimes is a variable word. I have an Eddy drop base on mine.

Should have added pn35770
          Last edited by CorkyE; 10-24-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Edelbrocks drop .625 to 1".

Link to a 2" drop : https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/afc-80550

Comment

I want to avoid cutting holes in the hood and lowering the engine is not possible.

Now I have modified a dropped air cleaner but still has only room for a 2” filter element.....probably ok but it feels restricted
              A Spectre plenum intake might work but still lowering the intake would be perfect

Comment

Measure how far your drop is......from the base of the airhorn ( where the gasket is ), to the "resting" spot of the air "filter" is your drop.

And. Seeing as how you have one. How much lower can you go, before it starts interfering with stuff?

Add the two numbers together, and that is the total drop you can use

Comment

To answer your original question, Yes you can mill or surface the top of your manifold down that .5". Only thing you will also have to do is drill and thread your 4 TB mounting stud holes deeper.

Comment

Today I worked with the air cleaner and it looks like I don't need to mill down anything!

My goal was to get in a dual snorkel air cleaner from a 1985 Mustang Police car..... I like the factory sleeper look so I will go ahead modifying the aircleaner!
                    Here todays work

Comment

My vote is to paint and use the appropriate call outs.

Comment

Some tips:

1. Do to the very limited hood to air cleaner top distance. Chain down the motor on the drivers side, and make sure it stays tight....never, every punch the gas pedal when the transmission is in reverse.

2. Get air from the fenders, and put a wire screen on the ducts.....small animals, and bees will make a nest inside the ducts if you don't.

3. I hate seeing wires under the hood....I generally "mount" and run them in the space between the fenders, and wheel wells....If you find a good little spot for the starter solenoid. Then put your fuses there too. You can blowtorch ( to heat up, and bend ) some ABS plastic. To make a cover.

4. It looks like the engine/motor is black themed. So stay with it. I'm not a big fan of decals, and stickers. Because once you put one decal/sticker in the engine bay. Then you will start putting more in. A good option is a riveted brass engraved plate with just the basics on it::
                        Engine size.
                        Oil type, and weight.
                        Sparkplugs, and gap.

Comment

Working...
                        X