Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Died. Wouldn't Restart. Need Diagnostic Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My MSD coil has been mounted on its side for 6 years now.

Comment

Chrysler used a variable dwell controller on their electronic ignition systems.....they also had "hotter" boxes for racing.....I believe they were Orange colored.
      David wizard/visard ( forgot his name. But he wrote HP books on motors/nitrous/ignitions ) really liked the way Dodge/Chrysler ignition controllers worked, and highly recommend them....... I've never played with them. I would buy the whole factory kits that had distributors and controllers together in one packaged kit. I don't remember what coil, or how I mounted them with the Dodge/Chrysler kits. I've only had 3 or 4 Dodge/Chrysler motors.....Or in other words. I'm not 100% confident in talking about Dodge/Chrysler ignition systems.

​Funny thing is. I've never owned a HEI distributor till this year ( bought both a Ford and Chevy ), butt I'm a expert in using all their modules......the picture I posted above has the Chevy HEI distributor, that has been gutted of it's module, so I can install 8 or 16 optical sensors to drive a pair of Bosch 211 coil drivers ( actually 10 dollar copy's ).

My point is:
      I'm not that knowledgeable in Dodge/Chryslers, do to the fact I don't work/own then, and their parts are not good for transplants on other makes.
      At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

My only point is I don’t think mounting the coil tower up or horizontally should be and issue.

There were HP Orange boxes and The Chrome boxes which were the racing boxes. In My experience was the weakest part of the system was the ballast resistor. I Always carried a spare or two.
        Last edited by jm73340; 10-10-2020, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jm73340 View Post
          My only point is I don’t think mounting the coil tower up or horizontally should be and issue.

For what it's worth, the instructions that came with my new MSD coil recommends that it "be mounted in an upright position". They listed another coil in the instructions that used an epoxy potting compound and said it could be mounted in any orientation. But then, I remember people mounting the old oil filled coils upside down sometimes when it made it easier to connect the coil wire without interference elsewhere. I don't recall there being issues either way. These things used to rarely fail. Now that China is making them, I'm assuming I should carry a spare coil with me.

DC

Comment

Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post
            Chrysler used a variable dwell controller on their electronic ignition systems.....they also had "hotter" boxes for racing.....I believe they were Orange colored.
            David wizard/visard ( forgot his name. But he wrote HP books on motors/nitrous/ignitions ) really liked the way Dodge/Chrysler ignition controllers worked, and highly recommend them....... I've never played with them. I would buy the whole factory kits that had distributors and controllers together in one packaged kit. I don't remember what coil, or how I mounted them with the Dodge/Chrysler kits. I've only had 3 or 4 Dodge/Chrysler motors.....Or in other words. I'm not 100% confident in talking about Dodge/Chrysler ignition systems.

​Funny thing is. I've never owned a HEI distributor till this year ( bought both a Ford and Chevy ), butt I'm a expert in using all their modules......the picture I posted above has the Chevy HEI distributor, that has been gutted of it's module, so I can install 8 or 16 optical sensors to drive a pair of Bosch 211 coil drivers ( actually 10 dollar copy's ).

My point is:
            I'm not that knowledgeable in Dodge/Chryslers, do to the fact I don't work/own then, and their parts are not good for transplants on other makes.
            most of the car builds i have done is mopar the orange [ rev limt 6000 ] box is an upgrade for street the chrome is a hi po box for street/ racing the rev limiter is higher around 7000 then the gold box at 10000 rpm . now days all the boxes are junk so dont use them unless it is a factory correct show car.

Comment

Originally posted by DC3 View Post

For what it's worth, the instructions that came with my new MSD coil recommends that it "be mounted in an upright position". They listed another coil in the instructions that used an epoxy potting compound and said it could be mounted in any orientation. But then, I remember people mounting the old oil filled coils upside down sometimes when it made it easier to connect the coil wire without interference elsewhere. I don't recall there being issues either way. These things used to rarely fail. Now that China is making them, I'm assuming I should carry a spare coil with me.

DC
              you are right they are so cheep you hope to get lucky

Comment

Working...
              X