Looking at Pro Flo 4 for SBC Build..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at Pro Flo 4 for SBC Build..

So I am going to be converting to EFI this winter and have heard great things about the Pro Flo 4 from some of the other forums. I want to make sure this system will support future improvements to my build. Right now, the system will be going on an older rebuilt 355 SBC with AFR 195cc Heads and a Comp 230/[email protected] solid cam that probably puts out 400-420HP or so. Engine will be in a '68 C10 with a manual transmission. This combination will be replaced (within a year or two) by a 383 or 400 SBC, same heads, and a roller cam that will be in the 500-550HP range, and will eventually get a little boost (thinking a small centrifugal like a torqstorm with about 8lbs-that will put it in the 600-700HP range).

I guess my question is-will the PRO-FLO 4 be able to support these three different combinations? It appears from what I can see there is a 450HP version with 29lb injectors and a 550HP version with 35lb injectors, can the injectors just be swapped out for higher injectors to support higher horsepower levels than this?

I'm currently running an older Mallory Hyfire 6 Ignition Box that has some features (multiple rev limiters) that I would like to retain. Is running an ignition box even possible (or acceptable) with this system?

Given my combinations, any particular advantage of the XT version over the 4150? I like the black XT version (wish they made a black 4150) but the traditional look of the 4150 has me more interested right now.

Thanks for any pointers you guys can give.

The systems have 1 revlimiter built in the system.....up to 8,000 RPM.

Some manual transmissions need a adjustment in the "Decel Fuel Cut" option...... usually around 1800.....stock is 1500.
    Download the free app, and play with it in Demo mode......all instructions are "inside" the app.....On home page, click the top middle icon that looks like a piece of paper.

XT type intake is for higher RPM motors, and some times easier to plumb a boost system......Draw back. Is needing skills to install a custom throttle linkage, that's foreign to most people used to traditional 4150 linkage.
    At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

Yes on the injector swaps. Real easy to support more HP. Bigger injectors, reset with the right calibration, maybe a tweak or two to the fuel modifiers and spark map, and off you go.

I know nothing about the Mallory ignition box. However, if it is similar to the MSD 6 box and accepts a points signal, it should work. The Pro Flo 4 doesn't know the CDI box is there. It sends out a points signal to the ignition box, and the ignition box fires the coil. That's how I look at it anyway. I have no first hand knowledge with the Mallory product though, so my thoughts are worth the cost... Nothing.

Funny, BITE_ME's comment about the XT is the only reason I didn't get an XT. I didn't want to fool around with getting my throttle linkage over on the passenger side of the motor. Well, that and I already had a Edelbrock 4150 Victor EFI manifold bolted down for another setup. If I didn't already have the 4150 EFI manifold bolted down I probably would have put an XT on the motor for the show factor. It's hard to tell my motor is fuel injected with the 4150 setup on it unless one looks carefully, and knows what they are looking at. I have zero complaints about the Pro Flo 4.

Comment

Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post
        The systems have 1 revlimiter built in the system.....up to 8,000 RPM.

Some manual transmissions need a adjustment in the "Decel Fuel Cut" option...... usually around 1800.....stock is 1500.
        Download the free app, and play with it in Demo mode......all instructions are "inside" the app.....On home page, click the top middle icon that looks like a piece of paper.

XT type intake is for higher RPM motors, and some times easier to plumb a boost system......Draw back. Is needing skills to install a custom throttle linkage, that's foreign to most people used to traditional 4150 linkage.
        trying to add to your post not correcting.

if the fuel system doesn't control the timing then you lose a lot i m o as the system runs it will adapt the fuel and timing to have the best performance. that is why i bought this system other have an option with timing control and with out.

that is like saying i want power windows with a hand crank

Comment

Originally posted by fleet man View Post

that is like saying i want power windows with a hand crank
          Actually, that's what I have in my truck. They work great.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Heatsoaked View Post

Actually, that's what I have in my truck. They work great.
            I get it now took me a min the picture helped lol that is funny never saw that.

Comment

LOL. All the power window kits that I've installed over the years ( around 200 or so ). They all come with a emergency handle you use, when you pull a cap off the door panel.

It's the T looking thing https://us.amazon.com/Spal-33000030-.../dp/B0031Y3VDU
              Last edited by BITE_ME; 10-08-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post
                LOL. All the power window kits that I've installed over the years ( around 200 or so ). They all come with a emergency handle you use, when you pull a cap off the door panel.

It's the T looking thing https://us.amazon.com/Spal-33000030-.../dp/B0031Y3VDU
                never saw that fancy stuff oooo dogie's

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Certainly seems like its the right one for me. Any issues with powdercoating the 4150 manifold black? Anyone done this before?

Also, just curious, if I ever switch over to an LS (which isn't super likely but possible on this truck), can the same system be used with just buying the LS intake (if you can even buy it separate), or would it require a complete system?

And the Mallory box is essentially the same thing as an MSD box, just with basically a two-step rev limiter-it sounds like from past posts it will work, but can anyone confirm?

Comment

SBC in the XT style can be bought with Black powder coating.....so can BBC, and LS.
                    PDF of available systems: https://misc.edelbrock.com/forum/Pro-Flo-4-Kit-List.pdf

The ECU can do LS motors too.
                    So. You could get the LS intake, and fuel rails, and use parts from the XT kit.

Mallery box is ok to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X