Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

351W Pro Flo 4 distributor shaft diameter out of spec?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BITE_ME
    replied
    What size is the roll pin holding the gear on the Edelbrock distributor?

Leave a comment:

• 408foureye
    replied
    Trying to get through to the tech dept. Getting ahold of anyone is virtually impossible. The phone menu sucks and all you get is put on permanent hold.

Leave a comment:

• 408foureye
    replied
    OK, so an update on this situation -

My suspicion was correct. I just unpinned the gear from the distributor and the gear literally slid off the shaft with gravity alone! If I woukd have run the distributor without checking it, the gear would have sheared the pin.

I guess I'm now stock with a paperweight since I'm out of the warranty period and couldn't get around to installing this system on my car sooner.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasDG
    replied
    Originally posted by 408foureye View Post
    Regarding the gear situation, I'm not using the supplied gear just because I don't trust its quality. I did a quick hardness test and it doesn't look good. The gear isn't as hard as it should be and it needs to be at least slightly softer than the cam gear to survive.

The cmp (pip) sensor on a ford runs on 12V while i believe most gm systems use 5V which explains the difference i measure in hall IC specs externally by just bench testing with a scope. The PF4 sensor runs cleanly on 5V while the Ford sensor needs at least 9V to work.
    Sent you a PM

Leave a comment:

• 408foureye
    replied
    Regarding the gear situation, I'm not using the supplied gear just because I don't trust its quality. I did a quick hardness test and it doesn't look good. The gear isn't as hard as it should be and it needs to be at least slightly softer than the cam gear to survive.

The cmp (pip) sensor on a ford runs on 12V while i believe most gm systems use 5V which explains the difference i measure in hall IC specs externally by just bench testing with a scope. The PF4 sensor runs cleanly on 5V while the Ford sensor needs at least 9V to work.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasDG
    replied
    What difference have you found in the electrical characteristics between the pickups? I am considering running a factory tfi distributor also. They both should produce a 5V on/off signal, with the ecu triggering off either the rising or falling edge, combined with the smaller shutter wheel tooth for cam position.

What material is your billet camshaft? The factory steel gear you are chasing will be hardened steel, ie melonized. The crane gear will be the same. Agreed that they are of a known quality, compared to the unknown of the edelbrock distributor, but in theory you are replacing with a gear of basically the same material. I haven't measured my shaft diameter, but I will and report back out of interest. I will say that the gear depth and end play are both setup to spec on my edelbrock unit from the factory.

Have you modded your oil gallery plugs to spray oil on the distributor gear?

Leave a comment:

• 408foureye
    replied
    Yes, the .500 gear is an option but the machining needs to be very precise to control runout. I don't have access to a lathe so thats out of the question. The easier solution is to buy a reman 92-97 351W remote mount tfi distributor or MSD 8451 and switch over the pickup from the PF4 distributor. The PF4 pickup is modeled after the OEM Ford remote tfi pickup and mounts exactly like the PF4 in the same cutout. The only difference between the two pickups is the connector and the ground tab, which is missing on the PF4 pickup. I had an extra remote tfi pickup laying around and was able to drop it in place on the PF4 distributor, which even has the ground screw fixing point like the OEM Ford unit. There is a slight difference in electrical characteristics between both pickups, but aside from that both the PF4 and the OEM Ford distributors are the same in fit and function, aside from the PF4 one having the oddball .530 OD shaft.

So in essence the simplest and cheapest solution to this problem is to run a reman OEM 92-97 351W Ford remote tfi distributor with an OEM steel gear (MSD #435M) and switch over the PF4 pickup, then throw the PF4 piece in the garbage. Its funny that one other guy on here had to run a different gear on his PF4 distributor and edelbrock sent him a free distributor with the correct gear. Im not so lucky.

Leave a comment:

• My427stang
    replied
    Answered in the other post, but if you came in to me, I'd likely go with a Crane .500 and machine it, or cross my fingers with the melonized gear, assuming the location was perfect and check in 100 miles. I personally like the Crane option better. I buy a lot of custom cams and I would expect the grinder would be happy with the Crane

Leave a comment:

• 351W Pro Flo 4 distributor shaft diameter out of spec?

I need to change the gear on my Pro Flo 4 351W distributor. The cam grinder specifically says to run an OEM Ford steel gear with my custom steel billet roller cam. The problem is I can't locate a steel gear that fits correctly to get a sufficient press fit. The shaft on the Pro Flo distributor measures .530" OD which is .001" smaller than a factory 351W Ford distributor shaft that measures .531", so all available gears I'm finding won't work. Is this a deliberate design on Edelbrock's part or is it just what the Chinese supplier of the distributor decided to do on their own behalf? I ran into a similar problem with another aftermarket replacement distributor I came across, which is why I'm pretty sure the Pro Flo piece is a Chinese made unit, considering its not an MSD supplied piece even though the box it came in says MSD on the label. I'm disappointed that it looks like I now have to find a custom solution to fix the problem the right way. I understand the gear which is installed on the Pro Flo distributor is melonized, but I'm not comfortable running it despite what is recommended by Edelbrock, being the distributor is already mislabeled and I highly doubt they know exactly which alloy the gear is made from to begin with. Anyone else have this issue?
Working...
X