Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My427stang
    replied
    When you get the oil pump figured out, let us know where you are on the project.

Something that came to mind on the intake, did you verify that the intake fit without machining? When an engine is decked and heads are cut, often you have to do some work on the intake to seal well. The last FE stroker that left the shop needed .055 cut from both intake surfaces and .020 from the ends. Those were new alum heads with a 10.155 square deck, stock is supposed to be 10.170 and is NEVER square,, .053 head gasket and the intake was an Edelbrock RPM. My PF4 Victor needed .020 on the intake face and ,020 on the ends, but that build runs ported iron heads. It can be real tough to seal up an intake if you don't.

This isn't something Edelbrock could account for either, 50 year old engines, old machining techniques that left crooked decks, and then rebuilds or full builds that added additional machine work makes "one fits all" absolutely impossible. I have to do it with Ford intakes and every other brand

For the quench guys out there cringing at a .053 gasket, I will run an FE up to .010 above deck with custom piston, by the time you cut an old FE straight, you can be at 10.150, and it allows you to buy back some height so there is less machining to the intake. Certainly works for all brands, but I do mostly FE and Poncho work, not sure what gaskets are available easily for others. Cometic will make anything though

Second thing, the Edelbrock intake is a medium riser intake, however, if you run CJ, C6AE-R or any other low-riser head, you need to run a low riser gasket. Otherwise you run the risk of sucking from the bottom of the intake port. They are thick, but the blue Felpro gaskets that come in most kits are very good fora medium riser/low riser combination. The Edelbrock gaskets are medium riser, and correct for the intake and their heads, but probably will fight you with a low riser head, especially if it's sitting a little high. If your heads are C7AE-A, Edelbrock, C8AE-H or any medium riser centerline, the Edelbrock gasket is fine

ON EDIT....crap sorry, wasted a bunch of typing, I see you have RPM heads. They can run the Edelbrock, Felpro 1247 or Mr Gasket 202A, but fitting to the block is still important.

Leave a comment:

• ddsmith
    replied
    Nice Cougar. I'm not heavy on Ford engines but doesn't your distributor drive the oil pump? If that is the case and you were having problems with the oil pump it would mess with the Pro Flo 4 due to the drag affect on the distributor. I could be all wrong but I guess you will find out when you fix your oil pump problem.

Leave a comment:

• raynojd
    replied
    So any help is greatly appreciated

Leave a comment:

• raynojd
    replied
    I will post screenshots as soon as I can, have to drop pan because oil pump locked up from intake 3x rr and head gasket repair. I thought I was extraordinarily clean and careful as to not let debris fall in motor. I work for a major diesel motor producer as a machine repair on millions of dollar machines, and have worked on motors/ cars for 40 plus years. Not my first rodeo, but there is always someone that can fix what you can’t

Leave a comment:

• raynojd
    replied
    I had a ase Ford guy help me, plug wires, injectors, 12 degrees checked , used Edelbrock recommended fuel pump, relays coil. Everything was green on diagnostic,

Leave a comment:

• Heatsoaked
    replied
    Originally posted by raynojd View Post
    Both, venting and looking for support information, over two grand into and frustrated. Haha fe ran well for mods on rebuilt garage queen,
    Haha? Well alright then.

Leave a comment:

• fleet man
    replied
    instead of complaining post a video and your engine spec's what map did you load give some details and see what people can do to help or go back the old setup

Leave a comment:

• CorkyE
    replied
    My427stang has some good points, try to follow them. Getting the initial timing set at 12* seems to be a prevalent issue with what you're describing, there are multiple threads here on that subject. Did you do anything else to the engine that may effect timing when you installed the PF4? I remember one person finding a problem with the timing gears/chain. His distributor was adjusted to compensate but the PF4 wouldn't play along. Good Luck, and BTW, nice looking Cougar.

Leave a comment:

• 74F100
    replied
    Autocorrect got me... not marching.. machining

Leave a comment:

• 74F100
    replied
    Hey check out the thread “Looking to buy, have some questions”

My dad and I ran into intake fitment issues with our 428 and ended up marching a couple of the intake bolt holes that didn’t have enough clearance from the runners and the bolt.

Leave a comment:

• raynojd
    replied
    Ran fine with rpm heads cam intake 750 db pumper, mechanical secondary headers 4spd 389 Detroit locker, now thinking this system smoked my # match car

Leave a comment:

• raynojd
    replied
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Leave a comment:

• raynojd
    replied
    Both, venting and looking for support information, over two grand into and frustrated. Haha fe ran well for mods on rebuilt garage queen,

Leave a comment:

• Rays1969cud
    replied
    There are a several post about setting up the timing find them read them most are not long. I had it wrong to start with. Didn't have it right. It had everything off.

Leave a comment:

• My427stang
    replied
    Well, as an FE guy, I feel for you, intake swaps are tough. However, you have to fit it, and often machine them depending on what has been done you your engine in the past.

After that, I would start by looking at the diagnostics page on the controller, make sure everything is green, check your firing order, check all your wiring, and check TDC on your balancer using a piston stop

Once you correct and verify, reset everything in the controller, then be sure you are using the correct MAP and set initial timing as indicated in the instructions and see where you are

PF4 controls timing, but has to start based on where you put it. It wants to be at 12, so anything is additive, if you are at 2 or 3, it is retarded everywhere else too. I bring that up because it sounds like you have retarded timing and/or a few crossed plug wires and/or timing settings incorrect. If you are familiar using a piston stop, it's the only real way to know where TDC is, if you are not, post back here and I will explain. You could have a mismatched balancer, a spun balancer ring, or a mismatched pointer, all of which easily checked with a piston stop

Leave a comment:

Working...
X