proflow 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proflow 4

I installed on a 1969 fe 390, took 3 times to get intake to seal on rpm heads.I cant get engine to run right, over heats no power and backfires.tech support no help, and I need a new distributor. Can't get any help from edelbrock or summit racing. Wish I would have stayed with carb,

Are you looking for help or did you just come here to vent?

Comment

Well be glad you aren't dealing with a Holley Sniper. You would have some serious problems.

Comment

Well, as an FE guy, I feel for you, intake swaps are tough. However, you have to fit it, and often machine them depending on what has been done you your engine in the past.

After that, I would start by looking at the diagnostics page on the controller, make sure everything is green, check your firing order, check all your wiring, and check TDC on your balancer using a piston stop

Once you correct and verify, reset everything in the controller, then be sure you are using the correct MAP and set initial timing as indicated in the instructions and see where you are

PF4 controls timing, but has to start based on where you put it. It wants to be at 12, so anything is additive, if you are at 2 or 3, it is retarded everywhere else too. I bring that up because it sounds like you have retarded timing and/or a few crossed plug wires and/or timing settings incorrect. If you are familiar using a piston stop, it's the only real way to know where TDC is, if you are not, post back here and I will explain. You could have a mismatched balancer, a spun balancer ring, or a mismatched pointer, all of which easily checked with a piston stop

Comment

There are a several post about setting up the timing find them read them most are not long. I had it wrong to start with. Didn't have it right. It had everything off.

Comment

Both, venting and looking for support information, over two grand into and frustrated. Haha fe ran well for mods on rebuilt garage queen,

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Ran fine with rpm heads cam intake 750 db pumper, mechanical secondary headers 4spd 389 Detroit locker, now thinking this system smoked my # match car

Comment

Hey check out the thread “Looking to buy, have some questions”

My dad and I ran into intake fitment issues with our 428 and ended up marching a couple of the intake bolt holes that didn’t have enough clearance from the runners and the bolt.

Comment

Autocorrect got me... not marching.. machining

Comment

My427stang has some good points, try to follow them. Getting the initial timing set at 12* seems to be a prevalent issue with what you're describing, there are multiple threads here on that subject. Did you do anything else to the engine that may effect timing when you installed the PF4? I remember one person finding a problem with the timing gears/chain. His distributor was adjusted to compensate but the PF4 wouldn't play along. Good Luck, and BTW, nice looking Cougar.

Comment

instead of complaining post a video and your engine spec's what map did you load give some details and see what people can do to help or go back the old setup

Comment

Originally posted by raynojd View Post
                          Both, venting and looking for support information, over two grand into and frustrated. Haha fe ran well for mods on rebuilt garage queen,
                          Haha? Well alright then.

Comment

I had a ase Ford guy help me, plug wires, injectors, 12 degrees checked , used Edelbrock recommended fuel pump, relays coil. Everything was green on diagnostic,

Comment

I will post screenshots as soon as I can, have to drop pan because oil pump locked up from intake 3x rr and head gasket repair. I thought I was extraordinarily clean and careful as to not let debris fall in motor. I work for a major diesel motor producer as a machine repair on millions of dollar machines, and have worked on motors/ cars for 40 plus years. Not my first rodeo, but there is always someone that can fix what you can’t

Comment

Working...
                              X