Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some cylinders running twice as hot as others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BITE_ME
    replied
    Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post
    Firing order in the app is for the fuel injectors.
    The placement of the plug wires on the distributor, dictates the actual firing order.
    That's what I see for post #10.......I do not see "ignored members posts".
    Sorry about that.

You go by the "numbers" in the firing order...... basically. Ignore the wording. Just use the numbers.

The app's firing order is for the injectors triggering order......even if you got this wrong. The motor would still run ok....not the best. But just ok.

The "ignition" firing order is dictated by where you place the sparkplugs wires on the distributor cap.....the ECU will send 8 triggers to the ignition coil, every 2 revolutions of the crankshaft .....one trigger every 90 degrees rotation of the crankshaft..

So.
    In short. The manual has the "words" backwards. But the "numbers" are correct in both applications.

​​

Leave a comment:

• tnormantt
    replied
    Read post # 10 ? If you are referring to post 10 on this string, that was my post, so maybe I am misunderstanding the reply.

My concern is, as shown in post #16, the manual and the Pro-Flo 4 App show contradicting firing orders. So was it corrected in the software? If so, the manual needs correcting.

Leave a comment:

• BITE_ME
    replied
    Read post #10.

Leave a comment:

• tnormantt
    replied
    It would be good if these firing order discrepancies could be cleared up. Might save some frustrations for someone in the future. Screenshot_20201001-132157.jpgScreenshot_20201001-132028.jpg

Leave a comment:

• tnormantt
    replied
    OK, I did that. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• 2700 Cast
    replied
    STAY out of Setup Wizard......

Go into ECU Settings > Load MAP > MY MAPS> Pro FLo 4 > " your current MAP # > MANUALLY SELECT 1-3-7 firing order & hit LOAD

Leave a comment:

• tnormantt
    replied
    At the moment I am running the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order on my distributor but selecting the 289/302 firing order on the AP which shows Ford 289-302 [1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8].

An interesting thing is page 6 in the User Manual that came with the kit shows SELECTING FIRING ORDER choices as: Ford FE [1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8] under item 7 in the Setup Wizard and Ford 289-302 [1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8]

So which is it?

Leave a comment:

• My427stang
    replied
    Originally posted by tnormantt View Post
    That was it! 2700 Cast was right on. The cam is a Melling MTF-5 that uses the 351 firing order i just discovered. Took a bit of digging to find that. Changed the firing order and that resolved it. However the engine did not like the 351 selection in the Setup Wizard and ran better when I went back and selected 289/302 firing order, which is still puzzling. Maybe a "heads up" but I think my situation is resolved!

Thanks for the help!
    Smart catch 2700 Cast. FYI, I have run into this with EEC-IV tuning, it likely would only affect it at idle and maybe very low rpm, once you climb a little the injectors sort of continuously fog so it's not at critical, but certainly MUCH better to have the injectors firing when they should. In kits with injector timing inputs, you can even adjust for the specific intake lobe design and it really smooths things out, never mind afiring order error.

However,to the OP, are you saying you are running 302 with the 351W firing order selected? or you are now running 351W with 302 firing order? In the end, actual wire location and EFI has to match cam, regardless of what displacement

Leave a comment:

• BITE_ME
    replied
    Firing order in the app is for the fuel injectors.
    The placement of the plug wires on the distributor, dictates the actual firing order.

Leave a comment:

• tnormantt
    replied
    That was it! 2700 Cast was right on. The cam is a Melling MTF-5 that uses the 351 firing order i just discovered. Took a bit of digging to find that. Changed the firing order and that resolved it. However the engine did not like the 351 selection in the Setup Wizard and ran better when I went back and selected 289/302 firing order, which is still puzzling. Maybe a "heads up" but I think my situation is resolved!

Thanks for the help!

Leave a comment:

• 2700 Cast
    replied
    What is the Pn# of the camshaft installed into this engine?
    302's have two firing orders.

Later model cams use the 351w order.

Just sayn ?????

Leave a comment:

• tnormantt
    replied
    Checked all the pin connectors and could find no visible damage. In general, I am very impressed with the quality of all the connectors on this harness.

The car is sitting on a hoist with the front clip off at a comfortable height so very easy to access everything and work on. Changed out the plugs and plug wires, same results.

I failed to mention I have the recommended Walbro in- tank fuel pump run through a relay. Fuel pump regulator set at 43PSI with the vacuum line removed. Vacuum line reconnected during run-up. All green lights on the diagnostics screen.

Leave a comment:

• My427stang
    replied
    Do you have access to a set of noid lights? You plug them in place of an injector and it tells you if it's getting a signal.

However, what are all your cam specs and what are the actual temps you are seeing and what it the finish on your headers? It's odd that only the 4 center cylinders with the shortest runners are running hotter than the outboard 4. How about if you go to 2500 rpm, same results?

I am with BITE_ME though, check connections and replace plugs if funky, watch going too much gap, not a lot of benefit there. I probably wouldn't start fixing the problem until you can get it out and run it a bit to see if it is a problem

Leave a comment:

• BITE_ME
    replied
    Check all the pin connections of the Pro-Flo 4 harness......it has 4 wires that turn into 1 to fire the ignition coil.

Replace all the spark plugs.
    See this a lot with to much idle time, and not enough road time.

Leave a comment:

• tnormantt
    replied
    Great Tip.

I did various combinations including L and R injector harness on opposite sides and same results. The engine ran almost the same which was surprising. I have a mid priced set of new MSD ignition wires. Changing out the plug wires is something I have not tried which is worth a try, Does not explain the voltage difference at the pigtail.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X