CompuShift Sport TCU Not Receiving Can Bus TPS Data From ECU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CompuShift Sport TCU Not Receiving Can Bus TPS Data From ECU

Finally got my new engine fired up today (383 Small Block Chevy, Pro-Flo 4 XT #35790).

Everything seems fine on the engine side but my new 4L60E transmission is controlled by a CompuShift Sport TCU. The TCU has an error code that it is not receiving the throttle position data. I'm using the CAN Bus between the two units.

Is there a way to trouble shoot the ECU and/or CAN Bus to make sure the ECU is sending the throttle position to the TCU? I can't finish setting up the TCU until it gets TPS data.

I couldn't find any settings or info at all regarding the Can Bus in the Edelbrock app.

Diagnostic mode in the app shows all green lights.

Thanks much,

DC

What version of Firmware are you on?

Comment

What version of Firmware are you running? The latest version is v65

You will need to be running Firmware version 53 or later to have an active CAN Stream output. You can check the version you are running in the lower right corner of the E-Tuner App Homepage..

Comment

I'm running v65. The system upgraded the firmware as I went through the Startup Wizard the first time. There is another version number on the home page: V 4.0.1:7
        I assume that is the software version?

DC

Comment

Solved this issue but now I have another. The solution was not straight forward and didn't appear in the Compushift Sport TCU instructions nor in the instructions for the CAN Bus harness. The solution was that the engine type in the Compushift software had to be changed to "Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 CAN". Getting to the menu to make the change was not intuitive as the entry for the menu was not a button or obvious menu selection, it just looked like informative text.

New related issue: When I turn the key to on but don't start the engine, I hear a loud buzzing noise coming from the TPS/IAC area. Unplugging either the TPS or the IAC does not change the noise. However, once I plug the TPS back in, the noise diminishes to the point I can barely hear it. After a couple of minutes, it seems to go away (or maybe I get used to it). When the buzzing is loud, it doesn't go away after at least 5 minutes. If I start the car, I can no longer tell if it's buzzing or not.

I'll double check the IAC settings but wanted to run this by the gurus in case this is a known issue.

Thanks much,

DC

Comment

What happens if you disconnect TCU.
            If you key on- no start eng, will that buzzing noise occur?

Comment

Originally posted by 2700 Cast View Post
              Compushift solved the problem for me. Turns out it is not a problem.

The noise is coming from the pressure regulator solenoid in the transmission and is normal. They say I shouldn't hear it once the system is full of fluid and operating normally.

Interesting to me is that I used a stethoscope to track the noise and I could hear it loudest at the TPS/IAC area of the throttle body. I couldn't find it anywhere else in the engine compartment but when not using the stethoscope, it sounded more like it was coming from the rear of the engine. After hearing from Compushift, I put the stethoscope on the transmission and can confirm that is where the noise is coming from.

Compushift says the reason the noise goes away after unplugging and plugging in the TPS is that the pressure regulator solenoid is controlled by the throttle (more throttle more pressure).

Thanks for checking in on this issue. I now need to get my transmission filled up and go drive the car for the 1st time this year.

DC

Comment

Originally posted by DC3 View Post

The noise is coming from the pressure regulator solenoid in the transmission and is normal. They say I shouldn't hear it once the system is full of fluid and operating normally.

Interesting to me is that I used a stethoscope to track the noise and I could hear it loudest at the TPS/IAC area of the throttle body. I couldn't find it anywhere else in the engine compartment but when not using the stethoscope, it sounded more like it was coming from the rear of the engine. After hearing from Compushift, I put the stethoscope on the transmission and can confirm that is where the noise is coming from.

Compushift says the reason the noise goes away after unplugging and plugging in the TPS is that the pressure regulator solenoid is controlled by the throttle (more throttle more pressure).

Thanks for checking in on this issue. I now need to get my transmission filled up and go drive the car for the 1st time this year.

DC
                Please report your first drive experience because i am in the same situation later in the year. ProFlo 4, compushift sport and 4l80e.
                My compushift sport was pre configured to "Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 CAN" because HGM do know my engine and tranny configuration.

thank you and good luck

Markus

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectX View Post

Please report your first drive experience because i am in the same situation later in the year. ProFlo 4, compushift sport and 4l80e.
                  My compushift sport was pre configured to "Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 CAN" because HGM do know my engine and tranny configuration.

thank you and good luck

Markus

Hello Markus,

Just got back from the first drive. It was a short drive of about 5 miles just to test everything. The test drive went well. I had set the idle target yesterday and adjusted the IAC% but for some reason it was off today when I checked it before the drive. I readjusted my throttle cable and went through the procedure again and I think it's good now. I should have reset the Self-Learn data but forgot.

I took it very easy on this first drive as I'm breaking in the new engine, the new transmission and a rebuilt differential. I never got the car over 55 MPH and avoided anything over medium throttle. I had no issues during the test drive. The engine ran smooth and throttle response was good. The transmission shifted so smooth I sometimes couldn't feel it and just saw the RPMS change on the tachometer.

The only minor issue I had was after I parked the car and stopped the engine, I restarted the engine to test how it started when hot. It coughed and I had to give it just a bit of throttle but then it started up and idled smooth. I'll keep an eye on the hot start and if it is not satisfactory, I'll have to figure out how to deal with it.

I'll let it cool down and will check all fluids later today. I'll take it on a longer test drive tomorrow morning when it's much cooler outside (the AC is not re-connected yet and it's too hot to drive for long in the afternoon).

Because today's test drive was not typical of normal driving and because I went through the exercise of setting the idle target & IAC% twice, I think I'll reset the Self-Learn data before I drive tomorrow. That should give it a fresh start at learning normal driving.

DC

Comment

Originally posted by DC3 View Post

DC

I've put about 50 miles on the system now and I'm still hearing the transmission pressure regulator solenoid buzzing loudly when the key is on but the engine is not yet started. The noise goes away if I open the throttle just a little bit. I'm not convinced this is normal. I have the same transmission in my Suburban and I don't hear anything like this. Is there any chance the TPS is causing this problem and I need to replace it?

DC

Comment

Contact HGM/Compushift about trans noise.

Comment

Contact HGM/Compushift about trans noise.

Compushift says its normal and the way they run the solenoid for better pressure control. I'm not convinced it has to be that way. It's the only 4L60E transmission I've ever been around that screams at me when the ignition is on but the engine isn't running. Smells like a designed CYA. Oh well.

DC

Comment

DC,

today i wired up my 4l80e with the compushift sport and the can connection to the pf4.
                          No oil in the tranny so far.
                          I have the buzzing sound too and it goes away at about 12 % throttle. That sounds horrible.
                          It sounds like a dying fuel pump.
                          Can you hear it when the engine is running?

I will ask hgm if it is possible to silence the pressure solenoid with a firmware update.

Markus

Comment

Working...
                          X