Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feel free to call & go over your settings: 800-416-8628

Comment

Will do next week. Missed the open hours today.

Comment

Originally posted by jm73340 View Post

As you’ve discovered you can’t run as much total timing as before EFI. 34* +- seems to be about the max. Your initial timing is most likely not going to effect the issue as I’m running 22* initial and have the same lean tip in. Pump shot increases and duration has NOT helped. Also moving initial timing and vacuum advance has not helped.
        I'll throw out this for thought on lean pop and tip in hesitation issue...

My fuel system pressure was low according to a guage (34) but correct on the tablet. I turned it up to 43-45 on guage and all issues appear to be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by marc schultz View Post

I'll throw out this for thought on lean pop and tip in hesitation issue...

My fuel system pressure was low according to a guage (34) but correct on the tablet. I turned it up to 43-45 on guage and all issues appear to be gone.
          Thanks for the information. I have the fixed 43psi Edelbrock regulator so I won’t be able to do that. Increasing fuel pressure should add more fuel the same as adding pump shot or pump shot duration but that hasn’t helped. I’ll keep playing after I get my new pulleys installed.

Comment

Originally posted by jm73340 View Post

Thanks for the information. I have the fixed 43psi Edelbrock regulator so I won’t be able to do that. Increasing fuel pressure should add more fuel the same as adding pump shot or pump shot duration but that hasn’t helped. I’ll keep playing after I get my new pulleys installed.
            Yes I forgot yours was fixed but would still install a gauge to verify.

Comment

I'll have to look at the pressure. I'm showing low on the regulator as well but good on the tablet. May do some adjustments and see what happens. I'll update later. I did check the plugs, slightly sooty on the base ring but conductor clean. O2 sensor was slightly sooty as well. Exhaust temps at idle were fairly even bank to bank but 1 and 2 were low by about 80°. Pulled the plug wire and they were firing. More troubleshooting to do. Ordered the adjustable Pcv as well.
              Last edited by Tpalmerjr3; 06-13-2020, 08:37 PM.

Comment

So, went back to square 1. Reloaded 5011 map and reset all settings. Brought the pressure up to 43 on the wet guage (about 46 on tablet). Initial startup needed to put idle spark to 19/1050. Bumped max down to 32/3100. A/F: 13.8/14.3/12.8. Initially no flat spot (lean tip in) off idle. After running through the recommended idle learning, was running large negative trim so bumped idle modifier to -10. Short term FT did come down to around 5 on the second run through fro 545-1200-545 and reset idle to 725 rpm at 11% IAC. with the 5011 map, idle and low throttle FT were fairly high negative (-15 to -20 or more). After the idle learning, the lean spot came back. Smoothed it out with 10%/1 sec pump shot. Driving was very close throughout the map, within about 5-10. The only large corrections were high vacuum decel, higher vacuum tha idle. Also noticed between 3 & 5% throttle were unstable with RPM and A/F hunting, vacuum around -19. Rest of the 30 miles went well until an uphill decel and then throttle application and the engine stalled. No real indication why on the replay (A/F was 13.4 -3 Short trim, -2 Long trim). The only thing I caught was that as the throttle closed(tps 0) timing went to 37 for a second as it died (set to 19 with 5 Vac).

Comment

OK, next update. Received the M/E Wagner PCV valve today. Installed and adjusted. Immediate effects were obvious. Idle is MUCH smoother, still at 750 RPM. Light throttle hesitation/lean tip in is pretty much gone. Was able to remove the accelleration pump shot. Put learn back in fast and throughout the curve, Short FT numbers have gone down significantly and rapidly. Long FT numbers are down too. Still have very high, near 30, long and short FT on decel but I'll give it another tank and see what happens. Won't know on the cold start issue till the morning but so far looks promising. I did find that 1250 was too low on the cut fuel as it allowed the engine to stall uphill. Current settings below, will update further:

MAP: 5011
                  A/F: 14/14 3/12.8
                  Pump shot: 0 Decel cut fuel: 1350
                  Fans 185/194
                  Fuel mod: Idle -7, Cruise +4, Accel 0
                  Cold start -1 across the board but TBD tomorrow
                  Crank fuel +5
                  Spark: 18.0/1050, 32.0/3150, Vac 5.0
                  Self learn: Default/Fast

Comment

Well sounds promising. When you get a chance if it seems to continue going in the right direction, post up a part number for this adjustable PCV valve so I can read on what exactly is does? Thanks.

Comment

Link to the PCV below. There is a good amount of literature there. Big picture, 2 valves, 1 adjustable for flow (idle), 1 adjustable for engagement vacuum (cruise). You set the flow and what vacuum the cruise mode engages at based on engine vacuum profile.

mewagner.com/?p=44

Comment

Originally posted by Tpalmerjr3 View Post
                        Yeah, found out about the timing modulation on idle a while ago. Makes traditional tuning/troubleshooting a lot more difficult. I kicked the timing up to 18° and picked up a new PCV just in case. Considering going to an M/E Wagner adjustable but due to the price ill probably experiment with modifying a few $3 ones to see if it helps first.
                        I bought the Wagner when I was running a carburetor and loved what it did. It is still on the car & it only need a slight adjustment for the cruse mode, when I installed the PF-4. But it did need an adjustment. That is something stock ones will not do. Matter of fact with summer heat I think I will take the five minutes and check the adjustment.

Read what you have been going through. Double check all vacuum lines. With you having a max of 18 when you used to have 33. That it strange with that street cam. Good luck.

Comment

o2 sensor test video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsr55FInfwk

Comment

One last update to close the loop and what was learned in the process:

After running through the O2 sensor test it was registering however I noticed that it was barely getting warm. 95-100 degrees after about 5 minutes. I opted to swap it with a new one and, after a week of driving it seems to have fixed the problem. The silver lining to all this is that I was able to identify and correct a bunch of other small items along the way.

1. If you're running a small block mopar and the cam kit comes with new valve guide seals that are just the plastic non-positive lock umbrellas, throw them away. Leaked a ton and caused smoke during extended idle. Wouldn't be surprised if it killed the O2 sensor.

2. The gaskets that come with the pro flo 4 have a cutout for the exhaust crossover. Why? I don't know, the manifold is blocked. But what does happen is the thin spot around it can slip off it when the manifold is tightened. I used gaskacinch as per the instructions. See attached pics. Use the fel-pro (1213S3) steel reinforced and no cutout.

3. Thank you tech support for the recommendations or decel cut-fuel. Raised it and seems to be working well.

4. The ME Wagner adjustable PCV valve works great. (No affiliation and really thought it was over priced) after receiving it I would purchase again in a heartbeat. Very well made.

5. A little more of a complaint but Edelbrock, please, can I for once get an intake manifold that has enough clearance between the bolt and runner to get a wrench on. Even with the 12 points had to grind away 1/2 of a combination wrench to get the inner 4 tightened.

Thanks for all the input provided throughout.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

yes over time oil foul of the o-2 will happen that was a good catch. thank you for posting what you found for all of us. have fun with your cruise time.

Comment

Thanks for the update. I just purchased the Wagner PCV. Hope that solves my issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X