Passing Harness through Firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing Harness through Firewall

Curious what others have done to pass the harness through the firewall. I am installing the 35930 kit in a 66 Mustang. I'd like to mount the ECU near the glove compartment to keep it out of the engine bay heat and have less wiring under the hood. The problem is the connectors are large and I don't want to cut a hole that big in the firewall. What have others done? Has anyone de-pinned the connector to pass it through then re-pinned? Thank you.

I mounted my ECU on top of the glovebox in a 69 Torino using a Seals-IT split grommet. They make many with different size holes, I went with the half inch and added a second one for other wires. I did cut a 2 inch hole, which allowed the large connecters to squeeze through.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Torino420 View Post
      I mounted my ECU on top of the glovebox in a 69 Torino using a Seals-IT split grommet. They make many with different size holes, I went with the half inch and added a second one for other wires. I did cut a 2 inch hole, which allowed the large connecters to squeeze through.
      Thank you. I was trying to avoid the Seals-It route, but that is certainly an option.

Comment

I ran wire harness thru center of firewall and used a Seal-it . I mounted the ecu in the glovebox on my 1965 Mustang.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

on my 66 Mustang I de-pinned the connectors, ran all the wires thru the firewall and re-pinned them using the wiring diagram in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by 66Fastback View Post
            on my 66 Mustang I de-pinned the connectors, ran all the wires thru the firewall and re-pinned them using the wiring diagram in the manual.
            Do you recall which tool you had to use to de-pin? Thank you.

Comment

Hi Torino420

Looks like a good answer to the Fire Wall Problem. I see that Seal-It make quite a few of these split grommet seals https://sealsit.com/page/2/?s=split+grommet+seal

Do you know what the size / # Part Number is of the one that worked for you?

What sized hole in the Grommet did that give you / what size secondary hole did you cut ?

Thanks

Comment

I see that Per Berglund (this forum) made up a nice Firewall Plug and 3D Printed it at home. See https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...0054#post30054

Comment

Originally posted by the15car View Post

Do you recall which tool you had to use to de-pin? Thank you.
                  A small flat head screw driver will work. First remove the purple pin retainer on the wire side, next remove the purple plastic piece covering the pins, you will see the little plastic tabs that hold each pin in place. Carefully push them back with a screwdriver then just pull the wire out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacbjacb View Post

Hi Torino420

Looks like a good answer to the Fire Wall Problem. I see that Seal-It make quite a few of these split grommet seals https://sealsit.com/page/2/?s=split+grommet+seal

Do you know what the size / # Part Number is of the one that worked for you?

What sized hole in the Grommet did that give you / what size secondary hole did you cut ?

Thanks
                    I went with the 3" split one with the 1/2" hole, second hole was roughly 1/2" too. Hole I drilled in the firewall was 2"

Comment

I see that Per Berglund (this forum) made up a nice Firewall Plug and 3D Printed it at home. See https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...0054#post30054
                      That is a great idea. Just PM'ed him to see if he wouldn't mind sharing the file. We have a new 3D printer, still sorting out how to design.

Comment

Originally posted by 66Fastback View Post

A small flat head screw driver will work. First remove the purple pin retainer on the wire side, next remove the purple plastic piece covering the pins, you will see the little plastic tabs that hold each pin in place. Carefully push them back with a screwdriver then just pull the wire out.
                        Thank you. Appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by the15car View Post

That is a great idea. Just PM'ed him to see if he wouldn't mind sharing the file. We have a new 3D printer, still sorting out how to design.
                          Keep us posted please .......

Only thing I wasn’t quite so keen on with Per’s design was that it required a rectangular cut out in the firewall ... I thought at first that was required to get the socket through, but now I see that the split grommet seals work with a 3” circular hole.

Maybe it would be possible to design your own circular plug that covered the mounting bolts/screws (oval face perhaps) for a clean look and incorporate some sort of grommet (seems absent from Per’s design) to keep engine bay fumes out. Why not go crazy and have a Pro-Flo logo on it?

What CAD package do you use .... I am messing around with Fusion 360 because it seems good and is free (for personal use) ..... If you get a file you would care to share ... I would like to have a look.
                          Last edited by Jacbjacb; 04-09-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Keep us posted please .......

Only thing I wasn’t quite so keen on with Per’s design was that it required a rectangular cut out in the firewall ... I thought at first that was required to get the socket through, but now I see that the split grommet seals work with a 3” circular hole.

Maybe it would be possible to design your own circular plug that covered the mounting bolts/screws (oval face perhaps) for a clean look and incorporate some sort of grommet (seems absent from Per’s design) to keep engine bay fumes out. Why not go crazy and have a Pro-Flo logo on it?

What CAD package do you use .... I am messing around with Fusion 360 because it seems good and is free (for personal use) ..... If you get a file you would care to share ... I would like to have a look.
                            2" hole is enough!

Comment

2" hole is enough!
                              Oh Ok I misunderstood …. 3" External Diameter, 2" Firewall Circular hole, 2 x 1/2" holes for the looms.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X