Engine keeps running after key off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine keeps running after key off

So I did a transmission swap, auto to manual. I made a small mistake and left the vacuum modulator T fitting open when I first fired up and drive it. As a result the MAP sensor wasnt reading the manifold vac correctly and was over fueling the engine. It ran like crap and after some thought I realized what I did and fixed it. Ran great after that. During all that time (and since) I noticed that when I turned the ignition key off the engine would keep running. I've had old engines "diesel" a bit and this is nothing like that. It runs on all cylinders like I never turned the key for sometimes up to about 3 to 5 seconds. In some cases the key is out and in my hand. I dont know that I understand how the system switches off. Surely it turns the coil power off? And the fuel? Do i have a sticking relay? Anyone else had this happen? My next step is to probe the coil voltage when i turn it off.

PINK/BLACK wire from the EFI system is still getting power...Most likely from your alternator.

You should trigger the PINK/BLACK wire with a relay.
    In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
    https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Do you have electric fans?

Comment

Yes I have electric fans but they dont come on till it's up to temp. And I havnt changed anything about the fans that I know of. I will look at power to the pink/black wire and see what's going on.

Comment

How many wires are on the coil ? 3 is too many.
          Run Pink /Black to battery with a toggle switch.
          Make sure ECU is far away from Distributor/relay/power leads, it can pick up electrical noise. ( May need to move to another spot)
          Dakota Digital dash ? maybe back feeding thru the Tach lead----disconnect & check

A few items to check.
          Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
          Just give the Engine what it wants &
          Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

I put a voltmeter to the pink/black lead, without even running the car I could see that when I keyed off, the voltage only slowly decayed. Weird. So I tried to think of places that might have full time battery connections - my radio. Disconnected radio and now the voltage decays immediately. Fired it up and sure enough it quits with the key off. So for some reason my radio is storing charge on the key hot line. I dont want that radio right now but I could connect it through a relay or something or just get an old AM radio to fit the car better (I dont listen to the radio anyway).

Comment

Just my five cents, if you want to keep the radio, you can put a diode in the radio's key on power feed wire to prevent it charging the ignition on circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by skidep View Post
                Just my five cents, if you want to keep the radio, you can put a diode in the radio's key on power feed wire to prevent it charging the ignition on circuit.
                i dont think that would work. the old radios do not have solid stat ele components as the radio / power is turned off the power down of the old style ele, is still feeding the power need to move wire to key on privet supply wire with a relay .

Comment

I had same problem check this out. https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...497-cold-issue

Comment

I had same issue had to add a diode to the alternator wiring Alternator Dwg (1).pdf

Comment

Working...
                    X