Started, ran rich and now doesnt start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started, ran rich and now doesnt start

Hi, I had my 318 magnum running for the first time about a month ago. I havent been able to drive the car yet but I decided to warm it up in the shop and then change oil, check for leaks etc. First of all I had majore difficulties to get it running, I had to add 7% crank fuel and then it fired. It ran very rich and was struggling at idle, I had to open the throttle a little to keep it running.
    ​​​​​​Idle AFR target was 13.9 but the display said at first 10, then slowly 11 then 12 but not leaner. I got it to 180 and I thought everything was ok.
    ​I changed the oil, there was alot of gas in the old oil. Then I tried to start again, got it hardly running and it was again so rich that it didnt stay idling at all, AFR reading 10. What do you think is going on? What should I do next?

Can you post 3 pictures.
    1. Digital display. Key ON motor not running.
    2. Digital display. Motor running, water temperature around 150F.
    3. Digital display. Motor running, water temperature around 180F.
    In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.

Comment

My random quickie thoughts and guesses:

Grit in the fuel lines got to the injectors. If that happens it can cause the contaminated injectors to stick open, which will make the motor run really poorly, and eventually put some fuel in your crankcase.

A wrong calibration, but you did have the motor running previously correct? Point being calibrations don't change on their own, so that would be kind of unusual for it to change from a previously working calibration to one that does not work. Although I do know that a wrong calibration can do exactly what you are seeing.

Call the Edelbrock support line and ask for Peter.
      Last edited by ElFuego; 03-20-2020, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Ill take pictures if can get it running again... I thought about the calibration, but I had it warmed up once and it worked. Was a bit rich then but not that much.

Comment

Is there a PF4 kit for the Magnum..

Comment

Chrysler LA engines are also called Magnum. : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_LA_engine

So. Yes Pro-Flo 4 is available.
            In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.

Comment

LA's and Magnums take a different manifold and since I am going to be building either a Magnum or LA based Small Block and this is one of my stumbling blocks, I needed to ask.

Comment

https://advertising.edelbrock.com/Ed...3000/35900.jpg

Comment

Engine is 1994 5.2 magnum but I have Engine Quest heads with LA bolt pattern.

Comment

Key on, engine not running
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnumDuster View Post
                      Engine is 1994 5.2 magnum but I have Engine Quest heads with LA bolt pattern.
                      That is what I assumed, but wanted to see if you were doing something else.

Why no Fuel Pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by Derwud View Post

That is what I assumed, but wanted to see if you were doing something else.

Why no Fuel Pressure?
                        Well, that was one question I had in mind, Should there be pressure?

Pumps not on so nothing is holding the pressure.

Comment

The fuel pressure regulator should hold pressure on the line for a while. It will slowly creep down but should not go to 0 immediately when the pump shuts off.
                          How long has the pump been off when screen shot was taken?

Comment

Not long, 15-20 seconds.

Comment

Which type of fuel pressure regulator are you using and how do you have it installed?

Comment

Working...
                              X