Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mopar 440 with 4150 style Pro Flo 4 and 727 .... Throttle linkage and kick down

Hi

What provision is made for throttle cable and kick down linkage on the Edelbrock 4150 Style Pro Flo 4 kit for the Mopar 440?

In an ideal world I would like to use a Lokar kick down cable, but which brackets would work with the Edelbrock Throttle Body?

This must have been done before ... anybody?
    Last edited by Jacbjacb; 11-29-2019, 05:40 PM.

5B181B88-A73D-4423-AF91-1C6C854645AB.jpeg

I have found a Lokar bracket #XTCB-40EDK that claims to be "Recommended by Edelbrock". It is described as a Billet Aluminium Throttle/Kickdown Bracket & Spacer Kit for Edelbrock Pro-Flo® Fuel Injection.

Having said that the Lokar catalogue picture of the Edelbrock throttle body looks different to the one supplied in the Pro-Flo 4 kit #35910, at least in the IAC area, see above.

It is also a spacer type which I don't really have room for.

Why such a strange shape opening in the spacer? One side for the bolts .... what about the other side?
    Addendum: Travis Johnson of Lokar has said “The throttle body on the original pro flo will not even bolt to a typical 4150 style flange. For some reason the original pro Flo was it’s own design. It had an irregular bore shape not like the typical square or spread bore” ........ So that seems to explain that.

When I spoke to Lokar they said they don't make a bracket for the Pro-Flo 4 ……. So I guess this must be a bracket designed for the Pro-Flo 1, 2 or 3? What is the difference between the Pro-Flo 1, 2, 3, 4 Throttle Bodies?

throt-kdkit-edelbrock-mns.png
    s-l1600.jpg
    Last edited by Jacbjacb; 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I started with Edelbrock #8041 and used the factory throttle cable and fabricated a cable bracket similar to the way the factory bracket is made. I also had to fab a bracket to hold the Bouchillon trans kick down cable I have had on the car for 20 years or so. This is on a Small Block Mopar with a 727.

The problem is they never made any provisions for Chrysler/Ford kick down because if they had the throttle body would have at the least accepted the carb adapters to correct the geometry. There are a couple holes the the throttle lever that will work with a cable for the kick down and get you close.
      Last edited by jm73340; 11-29-2019, 04:58 PM.

Comment

OK I hadn’t seen the Edelbrock #8041 which is described as a Throttle and Trans Kickdown bracket for 4150 style Pro Flo 3 & 4 Throttle Body’s.

I can’t find the Instructions to see which cables will mount (Lokar etc?). But it looks interesting and I will research it further.

I also note that it doesn’t say which transmission it is compatible with? Do they (different transmissions) all have the same deflection or travel requirements?

008041_v1_2.jpg
        Last edited by Jacbjacb; 12-01-2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

519D37BF-49FD-46CE-86D4-F672A8455722.jpeg Edelbrock makes carb adapters to correct the geometry of Ford/Chrysler vehicle’s. Unfortunately their engineers didn’t think far enough ahead and plan accordingly and design the throttle lever on the throttle body to accept them. I talked to the Head engineer at SEMA a couple weeks ago about this. The lower hole in the upper portion of the throttle lever and the lower hole in the throttle lever will get you close as those are the ones I’m using. You will most likely have to fab brackets to work unless Lokar has something. Attached a picture of what I fabricated to work.
          Last edited by jm73340; 11-30-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Nice job ..... but quite a lot of fabrication. Since this kit is specific for the Chrysler BB you would have thought that Edelbrock would have come up with something rather more plug & play.

Comment

If you need a bracket with the original kickdown linkage, AR Engineeing make a bracket that might work. They call it the AR018.

AR036a-Medium-1.jpg

Comment

That bracket will almost certainly interfere with the fuel injectors on cylinders 5&7.

The one in the third picture in your second post may work if you want to use Lokar cables. You will need to move the accelerator cable down a hole though to make the geometry somewhat close.
                Last edited by jm73340; 11-30-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jm73340 View Post
                  That bracket will almost certainly interfere with the fuel injectors on cylinders 5&7.

The one in the third picture in your second post may work if you want to use Lokar cables. You will need to move the accelerator cable down a hole though to make the geometry somewhat close.
                  Ahh yes the Injectors …. Well spoted!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacbjacb View Post
                    Why such a strange shape opening in the spacer? One side for the bolts .... what about the other side?
                    It seems to me the reason for the strange shape of the spacer is to have meat to accept the bolts for the vertical L-shaped bracket.

The spacer is not always a good idea, specially if you don't have much under bonnet space. I also found with the Thermoquad carb on my Mopar 440, that the fiber (looks like leather) heat insulator between the carb and the manifold, does not contribute to a good start, smooth idle and easy setting of the mixture screws. I installed a much thinner cork gasket and all three aspects were much improved.

With multipoint EFI this may not be an issue at all of course.

Best regards
                    Philip
                    3 x Jaguar V12, 4 x Land Rover, Jensen Interceptor (Mopar 440)
                    My web site: www.jaguardiy.net

Comment

Hi Phillip (Boertjie)

Thanks for you input ...... I only have a picture of your early bracket that dealt with the Kickdown/Throttle issue ..... Did you change your setup or do you still have it?

Phil1.jpg

Comment

I've used the AR005 with success as can be seen in my post below. Only modification needed was to drill attaching holes for the intake manifold bolts to upper location in the bracket to avoid contact with the fuel rail.
                        Is anyone running the 4150 Style Victor EFI intake on an RB in a 68-70 Charger? Just looking for insights on hood clearance. I have combed the net to the best of my abilities and ventured as far back as the very early days of the XT when guys were throwing it on with Megasquirt systems. The XT is on a lot of cars and clears

Comment

I am trying to get to the point of installing my hood and I will test hood clearance of the 4150 style as I have a manifold and throttle body..

I will say, any spacer would turn it into a NO FREAKING way..

Comment

Someone might want to call Lokar: This is the Throttle Body shipping with the PF4. There set-up for the Sniper would work, if the AIC motor cut-out was on the other side.

004150_v4.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Derwud View Post
                              Someone might want to call Lokar: This is the Throttle Body shipping with the PF4. There set-up for the Sniper would work, if the AIC motor cut-out was on the other side.

004150_v4.jpg
                              Hi Derwud

I did call Lokar and they said they don't make a bracket for the Pro Flo 4 ....... At the time I didn't know that they made the bracket #XTCB-40EDK that they claim is "Recommended by Edelbrock".

It is described as a Billet Aluminium Throttle/Kickdown Bracket & Spacer Kit for Edelbrock Pro-Flo® Fuel Injection. My guess is that it only works on Pro Flo 1, 2 or 3 setups?

The Lokar rep did say that if Edelbrock wanted to send a Pro Flo 4 #35910 kit to them they would make a suitable bracket. My hope would be that it wasn't a spacer type, for hood clearance reasons

EDELBROCK MODERATORS DID YOU READ THE ABOVE LINE?

Comment

Working...
                              X