Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions and Comments About Forced Induction Support - Put Them Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hud54Hurst.jpg 54HudWIP1.jpg
    Originally posted by ddsmith View Post
    Gale Banks once made a twin turbo setup for Mark IV big blocks. I used to dream about that one. It was a blow through setup and race prepped put out 1200 hp. He got out of gas engines and into diesel stuff because of the crappy state he was dealing with for emissions. I guess you all know which state that is. I think a ProCharger would be a much easier install. You will still have your headaches but it doesn't consume as much real estate under the hood. What car is your Mark IV in? Maybe when you figure this all out I will consider it for my car.
    On previous post you're looking at the working end of a '54 Hudson Coupe. A Tremec 6-speed and Jag IRS (posi-trak w/3.55 gears) completes the drive train. The front end came off a wreaked '71 Monte Carlo SS (big chev wheels and disc brakes) which also donated the 454.The small Hurst logo on trunk is the only exterior clue the car is not stock.

Pass front fender shows eventual body color - Toreador Red - and roof will be Jet Black (very close to original color scheme). Plenty left to do but getting there...

I'm intrigued with the Procharger option and have plenty of room for it. I hope others chime-in and provide some input...Prefer not to be the ginny pig but not completely opposed to it. Less traveled roads often produce cool surprises.
    HUDKID
    Last edited by HUDKID; 11-26-2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate S View Post
      The Pro-Flo 4 side of things are all already pretty well sorted out. For forced induction support, we cover two injector sizes (60's or 80's) and three fuel pressures (43, 58 & 65 psi). You can check out the Setup Wizard Calibration Matrix for forced induction in the back of the current instructions here: https://misc.edelbrock.com/forum/63-35760.pdf You'll see that for something like a standard 350 engine, power levels can range from 625 to 850 hp. Major contributing factors to ultimate power level (on a same sized engine) will be cam profile, compression ratio and the airflow capability of your forced induction device.

If you purchase a supercharger setup from ProCharger, they'll ask you about your engine combo (engine size, cam profile, rpm range, desired power, etc) to figure out a pulley size to support some level of boost. So between the fuel control side with Pro-Flo 4 and the mechanical air induction side with a ProCharger (or any supercharger really), everything is already pretty well sorted out - just follow the recipe.

A couple other things to consider are fuel system, ignition and intercooling. You obviously need to make sure that you fuel system is capable of delivery the amount of fuel necessary to support a boosted engine. Keep in mind that advertised fuel pump ratings go DOWN with forced induction because your BSFC goes up. You'll need roughly 15-20% more fuel flow to support the same power going from NA to FI. I'd also suggest using a CDI box with forced induction. You can try running without but spark energy demands are much higher with forced induction due to higher cylinder pressures and a standard inductive ignition may not be up to snuff. And if you can, I'd always try to go intercooled. Compressed air is hot and nothing saps out power like a hot air charge. Boosted gas engines are much happier with intercooling.
      I talked to someone couple months ago when ordering my Pro Flo 4 XT for my build about the injectors and for my goals 80lb are definitely on the table. Are there any right now that are available or any recommended alternatives to pick up? I'd hate to wait months to finally get my unit only to then wait months longer for the injectors.

Comment

You all ready have Pro-Flo 4?
        Or are you waiting to order it?

Just get the kit, if you don't have it.

​​​​​
        In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
        https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post
          You all ready have Pro-Flo 4?
          Or are you waiting to order it?

Just get the kit, if you don't have it.

​​​​​
          I bought the kit. It's backordered until Jesus resurrects again or something. However they don't sell a kit with 80# injectors so I'm trying to upgrade them while waiting for the kit to ship.

Comment

Working...
          X