Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions and Comments About Forced Induction Support - Put Them Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions and Comments About Forced Induction Support - Put Them Here!

As you may have seen, we have officially released an E-Tuner 4 app update for forced induction support: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...uction-support

I'd like to keep the thread linked to above purely informational so it will stay stickied and locked. Please post all forced induction discussions in this thread. Feel free to ask any questions or make any comments. If a common question keeps coming up, I'll add it to the informational thread.

So my question is who is going to be first to go forced induction with Pro-Flo 4?

Sounds interesting, I know people supercharge or turbo charge LS engines with stock internals and mild boost, I think 5 psi, and with a safe tune they can hold up.

What about on old stuff? Like my 1968 396 big block, or say old Ford, Mopar, etc.

Would a old engine need forged pistons and stronger rods?

Supercharger or turbo could make up difference in power, vs buying better heads etc.

Probably need a cam designed for boost, and stronger valve springs, (boost pressure might keep intake valves from closing) good headers and exhaust.

This is very interesting.

Comment

Ordering today!

Comment

Originally posted by 1965C-10
        Sounds interesting, I know people supercharge or turbo charge LS engines with stock internals and mild boost, I think 5 psi, and with a safe tune they can hold up.
        It's pretty well known now that you can boost a stock LS to 800-1000 hp. The higher power levels aren't sustainable forever but stock bottom ends have held up to 4 digit power before. A mild street setup can easily take 10-15 psi of boost.

What about on old stuff? Like my 1968 396 big block, or say old Ford, Mopar, etc. Would a old engine need forged pistons and stronger rods? Supercharger or turbo could make up difference in power, vs buying better heads etc. Probably need a cam designed for boost, and stronger valve springs, (boost pressure might keep intake valves from closing) good headers and exhaust.
        An in-depth discussion about engine mechanicals for boost is kind of outside the scope of what I can provide for technical support but in the grand scheme of things, yes you can probably boost a total stock "classic" V8 engine like any of the Fords, Chevys or Mopars. With a conservative tune, you can probably get away with running 5-7 psi of boost on almost any engine. Cast pistons aren't generally boost friendly but so long as you run conservative timing and don't knock the engine, you'll probably be okay. Same goes for rods. We ran our Enforcer EFI TVS 2300 blower on a standard 350 hp SBC with powdered metal rods and hypereutectic rods and with 6-7 psi of boost, made 530 hp on 91 oct pump gas.

How much you get into building an engine specifically for boost (heads, cam, valvetrain, bottom end, etc) all depends on how serious you are about making power and what your wallet can tolerate. Also, it seems that the best bang for the buck for forced induction on a classic V8 engine is a blow through centrifugal supercharger setup. We ran a ProCharger D-1SC on two different BBC's - one a very mild 454 and the other a fairly aggressive 505. We made 756 hp on the mild 454 and almost 1000 hp on the 505 - both running 91 oct pump gas. I would have definitely made over 1000 hp on the 505 but we ran out of blower.

Comment

Glad you asked. I added this to the main forced induction thread:

all update.jpg

New update isn't just for forced induction - it's for all users.

Comment

What is the part number for the Black blower setup with the twin throttle bodies on it in the Forced Induction support sticky? I'm referring to the first image shown in that post.

Comment

Ah I thought putting that up might generate some interest. That's the Enforcer supercharger system for EFI that uses a built in intercooler. Part numbers for black kits would be #15203 or #15223 for conventional or Vortec style heads respectively. The Enforcer blower setup was the first combo we tested/tuned with for Pro-Flo 4 forced induction support back at the end of 2018. What we didn't know was that the sales group was actually discontinuing all Enforcer superchargers for 2019 so unfortunately the Enforcers are no longer available.

The EFI Enforcer supercharger wasn't a very strong seller and I think that was for a few reasons. One, the only Edelbrock EFI system that worked on an Enforcer was Pro-Flo 2 and it required full lap top tuning for best performance. Two, the base kit itself was pretty expensive and did not include the two 4 bbl throttle bodies. Three, at $500 each, buying twin throttle bodies was also expensive. Well now that Pro-Flo 4 exists and is much more affordable and much more user friendly and has self-learning, I would think there'd be some customer interest in the Enforcer again. We still have all the parts and pieces available to sell the Enforcer again - we would just need to see demand for it.

If you or anyone else is interested in seeing the Enforcer come back, here and now is a great place to say it.

Comment

Thanks for taking to time to provide some background. Just looking for more info, since it looked kind of rare to me. I'm blowing smoke as far as owning one goes. If I ever get around to installing forced induction, I want it to fit under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate S View Post
                  As you may have seen, we have officially released an E-Tuner 4 app update for forced induction support: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...uction-support

I'd like to keep the thread linked to above purely informational so it will stay stickied and locked. Please post all forced induction discussions in this thread. Feel free to ask any questions or make any comments. If a common question keeps coming up, I'll add it to the informational thread.

So my question is who is going to be first to go forced induction with Pro-Flo 4?
                  I'm game. You help out with the blower and I'll paste "Edelbrock" all over the car. I'm headed toward a mild 500HP short block and I think a D1SC or P1SC would be outstanding. Question is; how much research has been done and what parameters have been sorted out for injector choice and boost levels.....car is caged for eight fiddy. Let's go!

Comment

The Pro-Flo 4 side of things are all already pretty well sorted out. For forced induction support, we cover two injector sizes (60's or 80's) and three fuel pressures (43, 58 & 65 psi). You can check out the Setup Wizard Calibration Matrix for forced induction in the back of the current instructions here: https://misc.edelbrock.com/forum/63-35760.pdfYou'll see that for something like a standard 350 engine, power levels can range from 625 to 850 hp. Major contributing factors to ultimate power level (on a same sized engine) will be cam profile, compression ratio and the airflow capability of your forced induction device.

If you purchase a supercharger setup from ProCharger, they'll ask you about your engine combo (engine size, cam profile, rpm range, desired power, etc) to figure out a pulley size to support some level of boost. So between the fuel control side with Pro-Flo 4 and the mechanical air induction side with a ProCharger (or any supercharger really), everything is already pretty well sorted out - just follow the recipe.

A couple other things to consider are fuel system, ignition and intercooling. You obviously need to make sure that you fuel system is capable of delivery the amount of fuel necessary to support a boosted engine. Keep in mind that advertised fuel pump ratings go DOWN with forced induction because your BSFC goes up. You'll need roughly 15-20% more fuel flow to support the same power going from NA to FI. I'd also suggest using a CDI box with forced induction. You can try running without but spark energy demands are much higher with forced induction due to higher cylinder pressures and a standard inductive ignition may not be up to snuff. And if you can, I'd always try to go intercooled. Compressed air is hot and nothing saps out power like a hot air charge. Boosted gas engines are much happier with intercooling.

Comment

Thanks Nate. Yeah, checking all the boxes before I get too far into this. I've always built cars where I want to see them 5 years out so fuel and spark are in the back of my mind. Thanks again. Let me get through this 2 stacks before I drop another 6. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate S View Post
                        My question has been answered: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...1501#post31501

Comment

Just ordered a Procharger D1SC. Already have everything but the Procharger and the injectors. Going to have some installation videos in a few weeks. I don't have a CDI box.
                          Any recommendations? I have a ZZ430 GM Performance crate motor with a T-56 behind it. Procharger recommended a 4.5" pulley and I'll using one from griptec for the blower and the Procharger pulley for the crank. Any advise is more than welcome since this will be the first engine I've ever boosted.

Comment

I'm eagerly awaiting the ProFlow4 I recently ordered for my Mark IV BBC 454 which currently sports iron oval port heads. Meanwhile, I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a set of AFR 265cc aluminum heads to improve breathing (with the side benefit of shedding approx. 100 lb). But instead of spending $2500 on the heads and picking up maybe 50HP/50ftlb why not pony these funds up towards purchasing a ProCharger D1SC and bag say 200HP/150ftlb?! Yep, I have way too much extra time on my hands. In my book this substantial power increase more than offsets the burden of carrying +100lbs iron.

Anyone running a Procharger DSC1 +ProFlow4 on a BBC 454? What heads do you have and how's it running?

Below is BBC before ProFlow4:
                            HudBBC454.jpg
                            HUDKID
                            Last edited by HUDKID; 11-24-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Gale Banks once made a twin turbo setup for Mark IV big blocks. I used to dream about that one. It was a blow through setup and race prepped put out 1200 hp. He got out of gas engines and into diesel stuff because of the crappy state he was dealing with for emissions. I guess you all know which state that is. I think a ProCharger would be a much easier install. You will still have your headaches but it doesn't consume as much real estate under the hood. What car is your Mark IV in? Maybe when you figure this all out I will consider it for my car.

Comment

Working...
                              X