Too much cam duration for Pro Flo 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much cam duration for Pro Flo 4?

I recently purchased the Pro Flo 4 EFI system for my Ford 347 Stroker powered Econoline pickup. I'm currently running the Comp Cams XE282HR roller. It has a very aggressive profile and I'm concerned that it may be too radical for the Pro Flo 4 EFI. I'm running Patriot Performance aluminum heads, long tube headers, 10.5:1, rear diff 4.11:1 8.8 IRS, 2400 stall, 1.6 rockers. Here's the specs:

Advertised Intake Duration:282
    Advertised Exhaust Duration:290
    Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:232
    Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:240
    Intake Valve Lift:0.565
    Exhaust Valve Lift:0.574
    Lobe Lift Intake:0.354
    Lobe Lift Exhaust:0.36
    Lobe Separation:112
    Intake Centerline:108

Would I be better off with a cam that has less overlap?

Thanks in advance.

Lyle in Durham NC

this model of cam you bought its not so radical, you can use with proflo4 with no problem

Comment

Doesn't seem overly aggressive but it really comes down to vacuum at idle. What's your idle vacuum and at what rpm? FWIW we run a similar cam profile in a Chevy 350 powered development car with Pro-Flo 4 and it's runs and drives great.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate S View Post
        Doesn't seem overly aggressive but it really comes down to vacuum at idle. What's your idle vacuum and at what rpm? FWIW we run a similar cam profile in a Chevy 350 powered development car with Pro-Flo 4 and it's runs and drives great.
        About 8 - 10 inches at 1000 RPM

Comment

No problems at all with a cam that makes that kind of vacuum. You're good to go.

Comment

I have almost identical cam specs (
            224/232 on a 112)
            in my 351w and it runs perfect. 13-14inches of vacuum at idle (750rpm). If I would have known this cam would have been so docile with the PF4 I would have gone more aggressive. I have more vacuum now than I did with the Carb setup, and I think its because the PF4 runs so much cleaner than the carb. Not to mention, you can add and subtract timing/fuel to make the highest idle vacuum. I have been super happy with the PF4.

Comment

I am running 254/262 on 114 in 540 and it's fine..

Comment

Originally posted by Derwud View Post
                I am running 254/262 on 114 in 540 and it's fine..
                One thing to keep in mind though is that a bigger displacement motor moves a lot more air than a smaller displacement motor and all in the same period of time (for the same rpm or rpm range). This translates into cam profiles that have longer durations and higher lifts and look more aggressive but that's what you need to support the higher air flow of a bigger displacement engine. A 254°@0.050" duration cam in a 540 is probably mild-ish but those same numbers in a smaller engine like a 350 (almost 200 cubic inches smaller) would be monstrous.

Comment

Yeah, I just had to do it..

Comment

Working...
                  X