Proflo 4 ecu stopped sending power to fuel pump and coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proflo 4 ecu stopped sending power to fuel pump and coil

Wired up the new proflo 4 on a 351w , had it running , tuned, was about to go for first drive to start learning and it stopped.
    upon trying to start i figured out ecu is powering up and connecting to tablet, but fuel pump not comanding on and coil has no power during crank.
    checked and replaced fuse and relay, all normal, still same result. No fuel pump, no coil power.
    multimeter shows both wires to the fuel pump have 12v at ignition on. Both. This is weird to me.
    thoughts?

You've got a conflicting diagnosis. First it's no power but then you've got 12v at the pump - so you do have power? The thing to realize is that the ECU doesn't send power to anything. The ECU is turned on by the ignition switch and then the ECU turns on the main relay which provides 12v to everything. The coil, injectors and fuel pump all share the same 12v power circuit so if you have 12v at the pump, you should also have 12v at the coil and injectors. The only way to not have power to one of those is if you have a break or disconnect in your harness.

When you power the ECU on now, does the main relay still click on? If you can connect with the tablet, are you able to see live data in the Digital Display page? Do you see the current coolant and air temps? If you move the throttle do you see the throttle value change?

You say the coil has no power during cranking. Does that mean you have power before cranking? If you don't have power while cranking, the system could be turning off due to voltage dropping low while the starter motor is engaged.

If you checked the voltage to the pump with the pump still hooked up, you'd see an open circuit voltage of 12v on both wires. This is normal and expected.

The single biggest cause of hardware issues is not using an appropriate coil or fuel pump with the system. What are you using for a coil and what are you using for a fuel pump? Please provide part numbers for these items.

Comment

Hi, yea sorry that was not articulated well. At key on i habe no power to coil, and the ecu is not triggering a ground to the fuel pump to turn it on and cycle the fuel pump for priming. Then when cranking, i still have no power to the coil positive wire, nor do i have a negative switch signal to the fuel pump. It was all working properly, then stopped. Ill check coil and fuel pump part numbers when Im able. And ill check the relay a little closer but im sure it was opening with key on.

Comment

Update
        So it appears the coil I had on there msd8207 was incorrect and probably damaged the ecu. I only ran it a few 5 min spells to base tune setup wizard. How can i determine that it is damaged, and what are my most affordable options for repair or rebuilt unit etc?
        relay does come on and off with ignition on and off. Blue tooth connects. No 12v signal to coil when cranking , and no nevative triggger to fuel pump at key in to prime fuel system.

Comment

Contact our EFI Tech Support: 1-800-416-8628

Comment

The MSD Blaster SS coil does work with the PF4 as long as a MSD 6AL or equivalent CDI box is driving it. That's the coil I have been using successfully for around 300 miles so far. Hopefully it will continue to work without a hiccup.

Comment

Originally posted by ElFuego View Post
              The MSD Blaster SS coil does work with the PF4 as long as a MSD 6AL or equivalent CDI box is driving it. That's the coil I have been using successfully for around 300 miles so far. Hopefully it will continue to work without a hiccup.
              Right - fine to use with a CDI but shouldn't be used without one. The CDI box acts as a buffer essentially isolating the coil from the ECU so besides a coil or CDI box failure, there's nothing that should really ever "hiccup".

Comment

I've had my joy filled share of ignition and EFI related hiccups, but not with the PF4. Only hiccup I could see happening in the future is the CDI box taking a dump. The PF4 is working as it should for me anyway. I don't expect any issues with it.

Comment

Thanks guys, Ill call shortly and sort it out. Responses appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X