Electric Fans with AC Override wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s the one I got:
    12V Auto Waterproof Fuse Relay Box Block Kit [6 Bosch Style Relay Holder] [6 ATC/ATO Fuse Holder] [Relays & Fuses Included] Universal Relay Block Box for 12V Automotive Vehicles Cars Marine Boat Jeep https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KHVHLL5...CTSBAZZ5?psc=1

as far a Bosch vs Bosch style… it’s all made in China.
    The data sheet specs have the right attributes so that’s what I go by.

Comment

I am sure you will be fine. Buy some good molex terminal crimpers and high quality XLPE (cross linked polyethylene) wire with sleeves. You can go cheaper if you have a fire extinguisher...just kidding/kinda.

Comment

I actually decided to go this route for the controls and it’s working very well in case anyone wants to try it here’s the schematic.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pcmdub View Post

I like those boxes, and used one originally when I installed the EFI. However, they are not well made, and do not belong under the hood. The relay enclosure is not moisture proof or even rated. On my install the terminals melted and caused a short. I ended up trashing the cheap relay box and went with a professional model. Also, Bosch Style is not a Bosch relay... Never want to tell someone how/what to do with their own truck, but I suggest investing in quality parts and avoid the damage. If your fan relay fails and you are not watching the gauges, you will be spending a bunch more on the engine.
          I disagree with your statement about it not being well made. I've been using one in the engine compartment of my 85 K20. I run headers and live in the desert. It is in fact "dustproof" and waterproof (assuming its not submerged). That's what its IP65 rating means.

You must be pulling some serious current thru your fans to melt the terminals? I'm running dual spal 11" fans and never had an issue.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Heatsoaked View Post

I disagree with your statement about it not being well made. I've been using one in the engine compartment of my 85 K20. I run headers and live in the desert. It is in fact "dustproof" and waterproof (assuming its not submerged). That's what its IP65 rating means.

You must be pulling some serious current thru your fans to melt the terminals? I'm running dual spal 11" fans and never had an issue.
            I hear ya! Mine worked well for a year before showing signs of issues. Definitely pulling more amps for my fan setup but I over-engineer everything. I don't like surprises. Also, IP65 ratings posted by Amazon are fishy at best...nobody really tests this stuff from no-name vendors... We tested over 100 of these type of no-name boxes and connectors and most failed after a few months of service. I was just giving my experience and didn't intend to knock anyone else's preferences.

Comment

Bosch, AMP, Delco, etc terminals are very thick.
              Chinese terminals are pure crud.....some are even copper plated aluminum. Or just too thin to keep themselves locked into the housing.

A good test is to try pulling on any crimped wires. The wires come out because the thin metal can't hold on to the wire. Or the locking tab bends back.

Here's a link to some Bosch products some of you might like....lots of different relays : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...SBPPWv3ndkoJ7d
              In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
              https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Fair enough. The enclosure itself is pretty good quality. I get the point regarding the terminals. Fortunately those are easily (and locally) sourced in my case.

Comment

Has anyone wired their fans like this? Dual electric fans with 3 relays and a trinary switch? Vintage Air states the trinary switch (blue wire) will pass ground when pressure reaches 254psi. pf4 dual fans 3 relays and trinary switch.png

Comment

That’s actually exactly what I’ve got now and it works great.

The AC system I installed is actually from Nostalgic Air… not happy with them at all by the way. Somehow I’ve got no heat or AC… I believe the system is fighting itself.

Back to the topic at hand, I had a binary switch and the fans ran all time when you turned the air on. Now they only run when they need to.

Comment

Originally posted by 74F100 View Post
                      That’s actually exactly what I’ve got now and it works great.

The AC system I installed is actually from Nostalgic Air… not happy with them at all by the way. Somehow I’ve got no heat or AC… I believe the system is fighting itself.

Back to the topic at hand, I had a binary switch and the fans ran all time when you turned the air on. Now they only run when they need to.
                      this is an old post start a new post

Comment

Working...
                      X