Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mopar BB, Pro-Flo 4, Mallory Distributor, Jacob Ignition. Will they Play Together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mopar BB, Pro-Flo 4, Mallory Distributor, Jacob Ignition. Will they Play Together?

I am just about to purchase a pro-flo 4 system for my Chrysler 440RB …. #35910.

In preparation I have been looking at how the pro-flo will interface with my existing ignition. The car is currently fitted with a Mallory Distributor and Jacobs CDI box.

I believe the two systems will work together, could you take a look and confirm that my research is correct.

The first picture below shows how I believe the systems will work …. Is this correct?

Information gathered:

If choosing to use a CDI type coil, a CDI box must also be used. A CDI box is recommended for high horsepower and high rpm (>6,500 rpm) engines.
    https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...pump-selection

COIL CONNECTION WITH CDI BOX
    Cut off the eye terminal on the white/negative coil wire of the #37-1634 sub harness and terminate it to the WHITE trigger signal wire on the CDI box.
    Cut off the eye terminal on the orange coil positive wire of the #37-1634 sub harness and terminate it to the smaller RED key on power of the CDI Box.
    https://edelbrock-instructions-v1.s3...rock/35760.pdf

PF1.JPG

Previously the Purple (-) & Orange (+) wires from the Jacobs Ignition were connected to the Purple (-) & Orange (+) output wires of a Mallory 32 Series Billet Competition Distributor (#3257811H) that employed a Magnetic Breakerless Reluctor Pickup. The Distributor feed has now been replaced by the Pro-Flo feed.

Mallory Installation Instructions: LINK

Jacobs.jpg

PF2.JPG
    PF3.JPG

The Pro-Flo 4 system must be used with the Edelbrock distributor that's included in the kit. The Mallory distributor is not compatible - this is true for all non-Edelbrock distributors. Your Jacobs CDI appears to be configured for a mag/VR input which is what your Mallory distributor would have been outputting for a signal. The trigger signal from Pro-Flo 4 would be a "points" signal. On an MSD CDI box, the mag/VR trigger and points trigger are two different inputs. I don't know if this is true for a Jacobs or if the mag/VR input can also accept a points signal. You'll need to refer to Jacobs documentation - what you have posted above does not mention a point trigger.

In all honesty you probably don't even really need a CDI box so if getting it to work is too difficult, you're fine to run without it. Pro-Flo 4 can drive a standard inductive coil directly. Just be sure to use one of the suggested ignition coils listed in the instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate S View Post
      The Pro-Flo 4 system must be used with the Edelbrock distributor that's included in the kit. The Mallory distributor is not compatible - this is true for all non-Edelbrock distributors. Your Jacobs CDI appears to be configured for a mag/VR input which is what your Mallory distributor would have been outputting for a signal. The trigger signal from Pro-Flo 4 would be a "points" signal. On an MSD CDI box, the mag/VR trigger and points trigger are two different inputs. I don't know if this is true for a Jacobs or if the mag/VR input can also accept a points signal. You'll need to refer to Jacobs documentation - what you have posted above does not mention a point trigger.

In all honesty you probably don't even really need a CDI box so if getting it to work is too difficult, you're fine to run without it. Pro-Flo 4 can drive a standard inductive coil directly. Just be sure to use one of the suggested ignition coils listed in the instructions.
      Thanks Nate S

Firstly I do appreciate that the Mallory Distributor will be replaced with the Edelbrock Dual Sink Distributor

The Jacobs Ignition is working well and I would like to keep it. Fortunately it can interface with a wide variety of OEM ignition wiring. Now that I know that the Pro-Flo 4 sets out to replicate a points style ignition I have had another look at the instructions and come up with version two of my proposed wiring …. Perhaps you could take a look.

The first diagram is what I have

The second is what I propose … Is it correct?

Here is a LINK to the Jacobs installation instructions. Please forgive the strike through lines - they were drawn on the original install. I believe that Figure 16: is what is needed now?

Existing wiring.png

Pro-Flo New Wiring.png

As you can see …. There is still an issue about what to do with the Tachometer and where to get a suitable feed … Please see the question above. What sort of signal does the #37-1630 Tech Feed provide?

Thanks
      Last edited by Jacbjacb; 08-13-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

You're close on your suggested diagram. Here are some more details.

Hot Key 12 Volts - this is not needed. 12v is being supplied from the orange wire that normally connects to an inductive coil. If you add in a supplemental 12v feed on this circuit, it'll back feed power into the ECU and you'll get funky behavior so don't do this. Notice that there is no separate hot key 12v circuit shown in Jacobs Fig 16.

For the tach, I would try the green wire first. If your tach works with this configuration now then it should continue to work the same with Pro-Flo 4.

Comment

OK, So I think we have a plan ….. If I understand you correctly?

Seem slightly strange because the green wire used to solely feed the Tachometer ….. Now The Jacobs Box receives (not sends) a signal down the same wire …. but that is what the paper work seems to say!?

Final.jpg
          Last edited by Jacbjacb; 08-13-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Nat S one final thought. Since I already have a “ Ign-key on” (Hot-Key 12 Volts) wired in and connected to my CDI box, could I not just leave that in place. Do I need to use the 37-1634 Orange wire at all? Could I just tape it off?

Comment

If you already have a 12v power source going to your CDI then the orange +12v coil wire would not be needed.

Comment

Thanks Nat S

Here is the FINAL VERSION that I will use.

In all honesty this will be a VERY simple install that leaves the existing ignition in place.

Only the following changes need to be made:

1) Remove and tape off the Orange and Purple Wire at the Jacobs ignition.

2) Connect the White Triger Wire on the #37-1634 harness to the Jacobs Green Wire

Final 2.JPG
                Last edited by Jacbjacb; 08-14-2019, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Looks like a winner. What will you be using for a fuel pump and how will it be wired?

Comment

Originally posted by Nate S View Post
                    Looks like a winner. What will you be using for a fuel pump and how will it be wired?
                    I am planning on using an Aeromotive Phantom 340 Stealth Fuel Pump LINK fitted in a new tank LINK.

Re the wiring … I haven't looked at that yet, but I guess that a relay will be used.

I did look at the Holley In Tank Retrofit pump that claims not to need a return line because they self regulate LINK . But I cant quite get my mind round the fact that the Pro-Flow 4 needs a vacuum referenced fuel regulator and if you have that, where would the return fuel go to if you don't have a return line!? Then there is the issue of what pressure is the Holley in tank pump set/regulated to deliver … Not what I think I need! So Aeromotive with a vacuum referenced regulator and return line is what I will use.

I don't believe that the pro-flow can control a PWM pump (but I may be wrong?) and the vacuum reference would still be an issue …. again Aeromotive or similar design is what I believe is needed.

Comment

Pro-Flo 4 is supposed to be used with manifold pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator. This was discussed more in this thread: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...-fuel-pressure

That 340 pump draws at least 10 amps so a relay will be required. Pro-Flo 4 can actually PWM a fuel pump but only if pump current is limited to 10A or less (like with our fuel pump sump).

Is this all going into a Jensen Interceptor?

Comment

Hi Nate S

Thanks for the link - Good background.

Thinking about the choice of pump …. If I do go with 29 Lb injectors …. Would the Phantom 200 Stealth LINK be enough pump? It is rated at 200 LPH. I do appreciate that this is below the normal Edelbrock recommendation of 215 LPH, but I do plan to use 29 Lb injectors!? It might keep the fuel a lot cooler in the tank.

Can you tell me if the Dual Sync Distributors are identical in Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 kit #35670 (HEMI) and #35910 (440)?

Do they both have regular sized distributor caps?

#35670.JPG

35910.JPG

Yes the plan is to fit these items to my Jensen:

MES230P-2.jpg

Comment

Wow, that is an awesome car.

Comment

Putting two and two together here - are you the same gentleman that's been emailing August about trying to run dual quads on a 440?

Comment

It's all fun and games, until it hits the Smith Gauges...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Nate S; 08-16-2019, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X