LS Proflo 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS Proflo 4

Has anyone installed the Proflo 4 on a LS? Wondering what your experience was? I've always used the factory Efi in my previous LS swaps, and it has always worked great. My current project is a 65 Corvette. I want to keep the old school look so I'm looking for other options. Also, does this system work with truck coil packs? Thanks

I can't give a customer testimonial since I'm a development engineer but I will say that the LS engines run just as well as all the other distributed engines do - you can see feedback from others here on the forum. The Pro-Flo 4 ECU is really small (about the size of your hand) and the wiring harness is very clean and simple - no ugly corrugated wire wrap anywhere. Pro-Flo 4 runs in speed density meaning that the OEM MAF sensor can be eliminated (if running a stock style intake setup). The Pro-Flo 4 LS setup works with any OEM type LS ignition coils including truck coils. The Android tablet user interface is also super simple and we offer a wide range of calibrations to run that support power levels from stock up to aggressively cammed engine builds.

Comment

There are 3 types of LS Pro-Flo 4 kits:

1. #35711 ( 24x ), and #35712 ( 58x ). These kits use the stock intake, coils, etc. It comes with the O2 sensor, and tablet.
      Link to #35711 instructions: https://www.edelbrock.com/mwdownload...link/id/55755/ I just bought one of these, and this is the newer instructions.

2. #35700 ( cathedral ), #35710 ( cathedral ), #35740 ( rectangular ), #35750 ( rectangular ). These kits use the 4150 throttle body ( carburetor style ).
      Note: You purchase separately a supplementary harness #35713 ( 24x ), or #35714 ( 58x ) depending on the application.

3. #35720 ( cathedral ), #35730 ( cathedral ), #35990 ( rectangular ), #35890 ( rectangular ). These kits use a 90mm throttle body on a XT type intake.
      Note: You purchase separately a supplementary harness #35713 ( 24x ), or #35714 (58x ) depending on the application. You can also get the kit in black, by changing the last digit of the part number to a 3.

Edit: You do need the "factory" wire harness that goes from the coils to the coil mounting plate.
      Also. Internet rumors: Don't use little factory extension harnesses that might be on the cam/crank sensors. Some say they repin the wires.....puts them in the wrong order.
      Last edited by BITE_ME; 06-12-2019, 02:13 PM.
      At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

So I kept the factory coil harness so I'm good there. I already installed a tanks Inc efi tank with internal pump. I also installed the Corvette regulator/filter which is what I've always used in the past with great success. I think I read somewhere on this forum that the Corvette regulator/filter isn't recommended on the Proflo because it needs a vacuum reference regulator? Easiest fix would be to install a regulator and separate filter back by the tank and run a vacuum line forward to the throttle body. Would this be acceptable, or do you think the vacuum reference would lag causing driveability issues because of the distance from the tank to the throttle body?

Comment

All of the Pro-Flo 4 base cals were created with a manifold pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator so best case scenario is to use the same type of regulator but it's not the end of the world if you use a non-manifold pressure reference fuel pressure regulator. When you use a manifold pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator, the net pressure across the injector is always constant. When you use a non-manifold pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator, the net pressure across the injector changes with vacuum and the "profile" of the fuel map is different because of this. Between 0 inHg and say -20 inHg of manifold pressure when running an engine, you'll see a 10 psi fuel pressure change which results in a 8% fueling change (for the same AFR) so you're well within the closed loop AFR adjustment range so the system shouldn't have a problem compensating for this. Probably easier to just use the Corvette filter/regulator than changing it to a rear mounted manifold pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator.

Comment

So changing it to a rear mounted manifold pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator isn't a big deal to me. My concern is because of the less than ideal rear mounted location, am I going to gain anything worthwhile?

Running a second line is a much bigger deal because I would have to pull the body off the frame again. Thanks

Comment

Your call. Going to be one of those six of one, half dozen of the other situations. You're honestly okay with the Corvette filter/regulator. A few folks have accidentally done it this way and been fine.

Comment

Ok. I think I'll leave it for now. Can always change it later. Thanks for your help.

Comment

We upgraded our LS to the PF4 in our '51 Chevy truck and it works great! We were very early adopters and part of the Beta program. This resulted in charting some new territory with Edelbrock's team of experts, but it was worthwhile as it runs better than ever now. I highly recommend the product and can vouch for the talent/skill Edelbrock has on their team. They went above and beyond the call of duty and it is much appreciated.

m2xYn3NbT8icCyhFu9GF9A.jpg

Comment

I like how you covered the coil packs with valve covers.

On my 460 Ford. I'll be displaying round LS coils, and make a smoothed distributor cap for my Pro-Flo 4 installation.
                    At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

Working...
                    X