Nitrous with pro flo 4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrous with pro flo 4

Any one tried this? I know that edelbrock says pro flo 4 is not compatable with nitrous but I don’t see why. I was wondering if I turned off the self learning and ran a wet plate system under the throttle body (after establishing a solid base tune) what could be the harm??? Provided the nitrous/fuel jetting are properly balanced the edelbrock system should be able to make the minor fuel trim compensations to keep things happy and it wont try to learn anything long term from it since self learn would be turned off. Anyone see any holes in my logic?

Could be possible in the future, post #4 - search can be a friend. https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...ectors-for-bbc

Comment

The "hole" is that the system will add or subtract fuel, depending on the WOT fuel ratio "you" set the system too........not to mention that there's no way to adjust the "set" timing.

Vic always said to never announce a product till it was ready to ship.......#1414 carburetor. Big Block Ford racing heads. The list goes on.
      At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

CorkyE and Bite_me I appreciate the response but I am still a bit lost, I read post #4 and it says edelbrock might release a future version with nitrous support. That’s great but i would like to run nitrous at a race in two weeks! And would you not want the EFI to make minor adjustments to the AFR to keep it at the user chosen setting going down the track? And you lost me on the “set timing” I can just take out 2 degrees total timing for every 50 horse increase through the spark timing total setting. Sorry if I am misunderstanding something.

Comment

You don't take out the timing till you use the nitrous.....other wise you have a weak motor, till the shot of nitrous......you might be able to use one of the MSD boxes to control this.
          Then again. If the vehicle is a true race car that never starts at less then 3000RPM. Then you might as well take the timing out of the ap.

The system will always adjust for the AFR........it just will not save it in Open loop...........If you have a good map, you "might" be able to put a toggle switch/relay on the O2 sensor output. You really need to put it on a dyno to get the system to learn.

At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

Thanks for your input Bite_me. The car only drives down the drag strip and around the pits. It has a 3500 stall converter and the nitrous would be full pass. I think I am going to try it. I am going to pull 6 degrees of total timing and richen up the full throttle setting to 12.6. In theory it cant be any worse than a carburetor and at least the efi will try and correct if the nitrous leans out the mixture.

Comment

I personally really don't like that we tell people that Pro-Flo 4 is "incompatible" with nitrous. As Darren has realized, there's nothing that actually makes the system incompatible with nitrous at all. The one thing is that the system does not have any kind of nitrous specific control whatsoever and so long as the user realizes that, then there's really no reason why you can't use nitrous. Sure, run a wet plate under the throttle body and pull the timing out of Total Spark and target a richer AFR in WOT. Yes, you'll be running a few degrees retarded all the time but what's that really matter if you'll be hitting the squeeze the whole time on a drag pass? No reason it shouldn't work totally fine but do remember that you're on your own. Edelbrock is definitely not responsible for your nitrous tuning prowess (or lack thereof).

Definitely don't do anything like trying to modify the wiring to have a switch to disable the O2 sensor. You can turn Closed Loop AFR Correction off in the app under On/Off Options. Or run just keep running the system in closed loop when you use nitrous. It'd be smart to do some testing on a dyno ahead of time and not just "going for it" out on the track. Make sure AFRs are on target and that fueling corrections are nice and small.

Comment

And for the record - there's an extra spare input and output in the ECU connector that could be purposed for nitrous use in the future. We're going to see how the forced induction update goes and decide from there.

Comment

Working...
                X