Distributor Gear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Gear

I've got the 35950 kit for the351W and require a bronze gear ( unfortunately ) I assumed the distributor was an MSD part since it said MSD on the box. I sent them the distributor and new bronze gear since they offer the gear swap service if it's an MSD distributor. Well they just called and asked me where I got the distributor. They seemed very confused at how the Edelbrock kit came with this distributor although he said it isn't an MSD part as the cap and internals were different.

He told me to make sure I measure the shaft to confirm the MSD bronze gear will fit, the gear is .530. Any info on that? He said if the shaft is .500 it will work. They won't touch it and are sending it back to me.

*confused*

You kind of went out on your own a bit here. If you had a question about the distributor why didn't you contact Edelbrock? Nothing from MSD is used in any Pro-Flo 4 kit so it makes sense that MSD wouldn't recognize that distributor since it isn't their part. I'm guessing that your distributor didn't come in an actual MSD box (like in the photo) since that'd be just about impossible unless you bought a kit that had already been opened and someone decided to put the Edelbrock distributor in an MSD box and then put it back into the kit.

fb8e78e6bdd79987eb10c59cac95d51a.jpg
    Take a close look at the Edelbrock distributor - there are no MSD logos or markings anywhere because it is not an MSD part. So what actually said MSD on the box? Was it a small white label? That might have had a description from the manufacturer since it is an "MSD style" distributor. Is that what you saw?

The exterior of the distributors do look very similar but inside they're totally different. The MSD distributor uses a 2 wire magnetic pickup and 8 tooth trigger with very small teeth and the Edelbrock distributor uses a 3 wire Hall Effect sensor and 7+1 shutter wheel trigger. MSD doesn't offer any distributor (besides for Ford TFI) that uses this pickup configuration. They're two totally different distributors.

We actually have some bronze gears available for the 351W distributor - just call Edelbrock Tech Support.
    Last edited by Nate S; 03-13-2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Yes, it was a plain black box that said MSD Billet....plus part number. That is why I assumed it was an MSD part ( my bad ), I did notice that there were no markings/numbers on the distributor itself.

Thanks for the info on the bronze gear.

Comment

Think we got to the bottom of the sticker crisis. Seems that prior generations of Pro-Flo used actual MSD distributors. They are tracked by a sticker with internal part number and description. It seems the part number and description haven't ever been updated so current Pro-Flo 4 distributors, which are not from MSD, still get a sticker that says MSD on it and has an MSD part number. Sorry for the confusion. The descriptions will be revised.

Comment

and don't melonized gears that come on your distributors work good were bronze is required ? i know bronze don't last near as long .
          73-87 gm trucks is my thing . i have a few of them .

Comment

You have to use what the motor/camshaft recommended, or you get no warranty.
            At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

We kind of beat to death this topic on the last system. Link to Chevy, but Ford always came up the most: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...gear-bb-502-ho

The main problem is that Edelbrock dosen't publish the shaft sizes of the distributors. So you have to place a seconded order, after you order the EFI system.
              At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

Is the distributor gear on a Proflow 4 for sb ford designed to run on a flat tappet cam or a roller cam

Comment

The melonized distributor drive gear should work fine with any cam that does NOT explicitly require a bronze gear.

Comment

As Nate said, Melonized is good for all cams including Billet, Ductile Iron, Cast Iron.

https://www.onedirt.com/tech/engine/...compatibility/

Comment

Originally posted by K5shawn View Post
                      As Nate said, Melonized is good for all cams including Billet, Ductile Iron, Cast Iron.

I've read that article. I really wish I could trust that, but my cam manufacture says bronze. Mine is an 8620 cam ( copper color between lobes )
                      Last edited by Torino420; 03-15-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post
                        We kind of beat to death this topic on the last system. Link to Chevy, but Ford always came up the most: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...gear-bb-502-ho

The main problem is that Edelbrock dosen't publish the shaft sizes of the distributors. So you have to place a seconded order, after you order the EFI system.
                        I was shocked after getting a voicemail at work from Edelbrock yesterday that they were sending me a replacement distributor with the correct gear. That all came from this thread, now that's customer service!!

Comment

Originally posted by K5shawn View Post

Yeah that wasn't quite what I said. If cam manufacturer explicitly says to use a bronze gear, then use a bronze gear otherwise the melonized gear should be okay on everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Torino420 View Post

I was shocked after getting a voicemail at work from Edelbrock yesterday that they were sending me a replacement distributor with the correct gear. That all came from this thread, now that's customer service!!
                            this is one major reason i have swapped over to all edelbrock for my efi / fuel needs . the other big name brand company just kept washing my problems under the carpet and hoping i would go away .

and i am already saving money for a 2nd kit for my 5.3 LS engine swap . plan is for the plug & play kit for all the stock gm stuff on the engine . #357110 kit
                            73-87 gm trucks is my thing . i have a few of them .

Comment

Working...
                            X