No announcement yet.

Fuel Pump Relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the same thing. It's like saying give me 12 inches of rope vs a foot of rope - they're the same thing. A relay needs 12v and a ground to turn on. The fuel pump lead from Pro-Flo 4 provides both a switched 12v and switched ground to control either a pump directly or a relay. Does it matter that the "switched 12v" come from either the ignition switch or from the main relay? No because they're the same thing. There's no reason to not use the 12v orange wire just because it's not named "switched 12v" or "12v key-on source". That wire has switched 12v on it just like another separate wiring coming from the ignition switch would have. Just like 12 inches of rope vs a foot of rope - they're exactly the same.

Don't overthink it. Most diagrams from the relay harness manufacturers are going to be wrong for use with Pro-Flo 4. Just follow our diagram and it will work.

Comment

Thanks Nate. Hopefully, this is the last question on this topic. The diagram shows a 15A fuse. Is that required? I ask because my Painless kit comes with a 30A fuse. I think my pump can actually draw more than 15A at peak, so I think that fuse would be too small. Any issues with fuse size I need to be aware of?

Comment

What fuse rating you use depends on the pump and relay. Since the pump relay has now taken all the high current switching away from the ECU, there's no relevance on fuse rating as far as Pro-Flo 4 is concerned but you would want to size the fuse based on what the fuel pump needs. I would only use whatever fuse the fuel pump manufacturer suggests. You can actually "over fuse" some fuel pumps and they can have absolute self-destructive failure because they'll fail and sink 20 amps of current and have a total melt down but not blow a 30 amp fuse. So its important that you correctly size the fuel pump fuse based on the fuel pump.

Comment

Working...
        X