Fuel Pump Relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Relay

Would this kit work with Pro-Flo 4? Holley 12-753 - Holley Fuel Pump Relay and Harness Kits

Click here for more information about Holley 12-753 - Holley Fuel Pump Relay and Harness Kits
    Compare
    Relay, Fuel Pump, 30 Amp, Single Pole, Each

(2)

Part Number: HLY-12-753 More Detail...

Estimated Ship Date: Today

$104.95

$94.46
    + Cart

Yes, it will work. Use the included 2 pin connector that comes in the kit. Connect relay Black to Tan/White and relay Green/Black to Orange - see diagram.

Nearly $100 sounds pricey for a simple fuel pump relay. A Painless Wiring 50102 relay kit is $35. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Nate S; 12-07-2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

ya i also think the $104.95 price point is way out there .

my beater build work truck with aftermarket efi has a junkyard 30-40 amp relay and no problems .
      73-87 gm trucks is my thing . i have a few of them .

Comment

That relay isn't waterproof. Ditto for it's connections.
        You can find waterproof relay holders on EBay. The ones that hold a couple of relays, and fuses work great for fuel pumps, and electric fans.
        At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

Looks like Painless has a sealed fuel pump relay kit. Still half the price of the Holley relay.

Comment

Hi Nate,

Another question for you. I bought an Aeromotive fuel pump relay to hook up to my Phantom fuel pump. There's a "trigger wire" which I'm assuming is to be connected to the fuel pump plug for the PF4. However, since the trigger wire is only one wire and the relay wiring is grounded to the chassis, how do I connect these two harnesses? What happens to the tan wire on the PF4 harness? I apologize and will say that I'm not an electrical guy at all. I've attached a link to the Jeg's site. It has the instructions of the Aeromotive system. Thank you in advance.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/02...SABEgLl1PD_BwE

Comment

Unfortunately that Aeromotive relay is not a good match with Pro-Flo 4. Was discussed previously here: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...l-relay-wiring

Comment

Ugh.. Well, like the other fellow, returning it isn't really an option at this point. I read the post and if I understand it correctly, I use the black ground wire and the red trigger wire from the Aeromotive harness and then plug those into the fuel pump plug for the PF4, correct? That will make it function properly? Thanks again Nate!!!!

Comment

Yeah, you'll have to dissect it a little bit but if you can get to the relay coil wires (85 & 86), then connect those to the fuel pump lead in the Pro-Flo 4 harness. The large heavy gauge wires in the relay should have no connection with the Pro-Flo 4 at all.

Comment

So that I understand what you are saying, is that it's not just as simple as using the chassis ground wire and the trigger wire connected to the PF4 plug. I have to pull the ground wires from the relay as well.

Comment

Follow the diagram posted above in post #2. As I understand it, that Aeromotive relay has a shared ground between the pump, the battery or chassis ground and the relay coil. It's setup like this because it's expecting a switched 12v trigger to turn the relay on and off. Pro-Flo 4 does not work this way. If you have a shared ground, the pump will be on any time the ignition switch is on because the fuel pump 12v feed is on with ignition. The ground is switched on and off so you must isolate the relay coil ground trigger away from chassis ground on connect it to the tan/white wire.

Like I said before, terminals 85 & 86 should only connect to the two fuel pump wires in the Pro-Flo 4 harness. Follow this and the diagram and you should get it right.

Comment

Nate, thanks I got it!! I separated the two ground wires. The pump is now grounded straight to the frame. The ground from the relay will be paired with the trigger wire and attached to the PF4 fuel pump plug. I appreciate the help and patience. Have a good weekend!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nate S View Post
                          Yes, it will work. Use the included 2 pin connector that comes in the kit. Connect relay Black to Tan/White and relay Green/Black to Orange - see diagram.

Nearly $100 sounds pricey for a simple fuel pump relay. A Painless Wiring 50102 relay kit is $35. Just sayin'.

Hey Nate, based on this diagram, the fuel pump relay would not be connected to a switched/key-on 12V source. Is that correct? We would assume that since the PF4 is already connected to a key-on source, the fuel pump relay wouldn't need to be? Just confirming this diagram is what I need to follow for my install. I have a basic painless 50102 relay I'm looking to use with this setup. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish916 View Post
                            Based on this diagram, the fuel pump relay would not be connected to a switched/key-on 12V source. Is that correct?
                            That's incorrect. The diagram shown has 12v to the fuel pump relay coming from the Pro-Flo 4 but what's not shown is that the power is coming from the main relay which is controlled by the ECU but is essentially turned on whenever the ignition switch is on. There's really no difference between the relay getting 12v from an ignition switch power source on the car or 12v from the main relay in the EFI system. Just use the two wires supplied for the fuel pump and wire it just like the diagram shows.

Many aftermarket fuel pump relays aren't wired to jive with how Pro-Flo 4 works. Most fuel pumps are turned on/off with 12v but Pro-Flo 4 turns the fuel pump on/off with ground, not 12v, because our ECU has the ability to PWM a fuel pump. So since most fuel pumps are traditionally turned on with 12v, most relays are configured to also be switched on with 12v but that won't work with Pro-Flo 4 because the 12v is always on whenever the ignition is on. A lot of fuel pump relays come pre-made with one side of the relay coil (85 or 86) connected to ground and then use the existing fuel pump 12v trigger to turn the relay on/off. Again, this won't work because the 12v fuel pump supply in Pro-Flo 4 doesn't get toggled on and off to control the pump - the ground does.

The most ideal fuel pump relay setup would be one that doesn't already have the relay coil (85 & 86) connected to either 12v or ground. This way you can connect the two fuel pump wires in the Pro-Flo 4 wiring harness to the relay coil and the relay will work exactly like it's supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate S View Post

That's incorrect. The diagram shown has 12v to the fuel pump relay coming from the Pro-Flo 4 but what's not shown is that the power is coming from the main relay which is controlled by the ECU but is essentially turned on whenever the ignition switch is on. There's really no difference between the relay getting 12v from an ignition switch power source on the car or 12v from the main relay in the EFI system. Just use the two wires supplied for the fuel pump and wire it just like the diagram shows.

Sorry, I think I'm confused because it feels like we're saying the same thing. The relay install diagram from Painless shows both a 12v battery and 12v key-on source going to the relay. Your diagram does not show any 12v key-on source going to the relay, which I assumed was because the FP4 was controlled by a 12v key-on source. So if I follow the diagram, I would not be connecting a 12v key-on source as Painless instructs. Sounds like this is ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X