Pressure regulator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure regulator

Picked up a pro flo 4 for my 351W. I have an in tank fuel pump and have feed & return lines run up to the engine, so I was planning on putting a fuel pressure regulator mounted to the firewall. But, I just saw Edelbrock part number 17401 for a regulator mounted to the fuel rail. Looks pretty slick. It says it's used on the pro flo 3, but is it compatible with pro flo 4? And provides the correct pressure range?

https://www.edelbrock.com/fuel-press...unt-17401.html

Thanks

We offer two fixed pressure fuel pressure regulators: part #17400 & #17401. #17400 is a 43 psi regulator and #17401 is a 58 psi regulator. Your 351W kit came with 35 lb injectors so if you look at the calibration matrix in the back of the install instructions, you'll see that there are 5 cals that'd work for a 351 with 35 lb injectors: 5011 & 5013-5016. Three cals are for 43 psi and the other two are for 58 psi. Take a minute and figure out which cal you're most likely to use and then select the appropriate fuel pressure regulator.

The description for those regulators hasn't been updated in a while so they still say Pro-Flo 3 but yes, they will work on Pro-Flo 4. There is a special adapter fitting that allows the regulators to adapted to any -6 ORB fuel rail.

BTW be sure to check out the new instructions for information regarding wiring your in-tank fuel pump.

Comment

Also, what ignition coil will you be using?

Comment

Originally posted by Nate S View Post

BTW be sure to check out the new instructions for information regarding wiring your in-tank fuel pump.
        got a link for this info ?

73-87 gm trucks is my thing . i have a few of them .

Comment

Nate - good info, thanks! I’ll checkout cal info and go from there.

I also picked up one of your 22741 coils, per your recommendation on here.

I read through the fuel pump wiring info at the same time as the coil info, and as I remember I didn’t need to do anything special. Right now I have it setup to run on its own dedicated ignition on circuit. I think I remember that being fine.

Thanks again

Comment

Bubba, we had a bit of a mix up with the coil specs early on and were recommending the wrong coil. We have the correct coil now - part #22746. Give our Tech Line a call and they'll work on exchanging out your old one for this new one. Sorry for the mix up but we'll get you taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetk30 View Post

got a link for this info ?
              Stickied at the top of the Pro-Flo 4 forum.

Comment

Bubba, we had a bit of a mix up with the coil specs early on and were recommending the wrong coil. We have the correct coil now - part #22746. Give our Tech Line a call and they'll work on exchanging out your old one for this new one. Sorry for the mix up but we'll get you taken care of.
                thats great customer service there ! ! !

and thanks for the heads up on the sticky section .
                73-87 gm trucks is my thing . i have a few of them .

Comment

Can the none LS systems be rewired so as to use the LS coil packs #22745?
                  The 2 benefits would be:
                  1. No more distributor cap and rotor replacement.
                  2. The systems would look more modern.

I believe it should work. If the 4 outputs of the system are paired..............they don't all trigger at the same time.
                  At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

That new coil # 22746 available now?? I can't find it! Use a MSD Blaster 2 instead?

Comment

Originally posted by sd1976 View Post
                      That new coil # 22746 available now?? I can't find it! Use a MSD Blaster 2 instead?
                      The first batch of these coils was expected to be in our inventory this week. I'm not in a position to quickly or easily check what their status is. If you call into sales, they can start an order for you and complete it once the coils are ready to ship. The part number might be too new to show up at the usual places (Summit, Jegs, etc). We wanted to notify users immediately that they need this coil instead of the #22741 but it's been a bit of a juggle to coordinate releasing this information and getting the coils into inventory. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If you need a coil immediately then the MSD #8202 Blaster 2 coil is an excellent alternative (our #22746 coil will spec out very similarly to the Blaster 2). If you're in a position to wait a week or two, I'd see about getting the #22746.

Comment

Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post

Can the none LS systems be rewired so as to use the LS coil packs #22745?
                        The 2 benefits would be:
                        1. No more distributor cap and rotor replacement.
                        2. The systems would look more modern.

I believe it should work. If the 4 outputs of the system are paired..............they don't all trigger at the same time.
                        Technically, yes - it could be wired this way. Yes, you'd eliminate distributor wear items but would still leave the distributor (and probably its cap) in place. Someone would have to be pretty wiring/EFI savvy to do this but it's certainly possible. One slight problem is that the coil dwell table for the distributor cals is optimized for a single inductive canister coil being used with a distributor. An end user would not have the ability to adjust their dwell for the CNP coils.

Typical warnings and advisements: Edelbrock does not recommend modifying your Pro-Flo EFI system. Doing so is at your own risk and would void your warranty. Edelbrock is not able to provide support to those electing to modify their systems. In other words, don't do it but if you do, you're on your own.

Comment

Working...
                        X