Any problems with the new Pro Flo 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any problems with the new Pro Flo 4?

Any problems with the new Pro Flo 4 software over the Pro Flo 3? I know they changed manufactures for the ECM I'm looking to go on a 74 Bronco. Cold starts better with this system over the E-Street??

It has more adjustability in the cold start region.... Download the new apk from Edelbrocks main EFI site, to see whats been changed....it has a demo mode.

The only problem I believe people might have installing it is: Brackets for power steering/air-conditioning/alternators...you know, the stock factory brackets that need to be mounted to the intake manifold. So some fabrication might be needed.....Or just a big hammer.
    At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

Cold starts, acceleration enrichment and overall driveability is always better with EFI systems that have individual injectors per port. It's honestly not even a real comparison with E-Street as far as fueling control goes. As for the user interface, the data transfer rate is much faster and there are basic as well as more advanced tunability features plus the base calibrations are pretty good right from the get go. Pro Flo 4 is by far the best injection system Edelbrock has produced to date.

Comment

Just purchased a PF4. Back ordered with delivery projected 10/26/2018. PF3 owner reports hot restart surging while in open loop. Has this been resolved with the PF4.

Comment

Open loop is where the O2 sensor is ignored.
          So basically when you have problems in "open loop", the tunning ( user sets the idle, timing, etc...), or base map are not optimized for the engine combination.
          The Pro-Flo 4 does have more adjustments for when the loop, open, and closes.....you can down load the app and play with it, to see what I'm talking about.

Link to a simple explanation: www.enginebasics.com/EFI Tuning/Closed Loop o2.html

Link: http://www.enginebasics.com/EFI%20Tu...Loop%20o2.html
          Last edited by BITE_ME; 08-19-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BITE_ME View Post
            Open loop is where the O2 sensor is ignored.
            So basically when you have problems in "open loop", the tunning ( user sets the idle, timing, etc...), or base map are not optimized for the engine combination.
            The Pro-Flo 4 does have more adjustments for when the loop, open, and closes.....you can down load the app and play with it, to see what I'm talking about.

Link to a simple explanation: www.enginebasics.com/EFI Tuning/Closed Loop o2.html
            Link not found, but thanks.

Comment

Have read that it must stay open til temp of 172 is reached. Hot restarts, elevation change, and ambient over 100 degrees are my primary reasons fo going efi.

Comment

I don't know if it's the forum software are mine. But you can copy, and past the link.

The system stays open ( basically all EFI systems do it ) when the engine is cold, and when you get to a certain throttle position.
                The O2 sensor will still display the air/fuel ratio. But it's up to the owner to make the fuel modifications to the system...like adjusting the Global settings, and cold start enrichment to the base map.

In a nutshell: Most installs will work fine with the base map. If the motor is acting funny. You don't have to connect a PC to the system. Then spend days tying to figure out how the software works. The Android app is easy to use, and there's no plugs to connect. The app has a diagnostic setting too...red or green dots.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis H View Post
                  Just purchased a PF4. Back ordered with delivery projected 10/26/2018. PF3 owner reports hot restart surging while in open loop. Has this been resolved with the PF4.
                  Wow where did you order it from??

Comment

There's 58 different Pro-Flo 4 systems ( I believe this is the most EFI systems Edelbrock has ever produced ). So if you don't see it in stock at a online speed shop, you can try Edelbrock's main site. The site now offers you the option to purchase directly.

Comment

Summit, and Jegs don't show the LS version ( no intake, or distributor needed ). But it's in stock, on Edelbrocks site: https://www.edelbrock.com/pro-flo-4-...nes-35712.html

Comment

FWIW, the PF4 is almost always in closed loop. As soon as the O2 sensor has warmed after start up and is able to report accurate AFRs, the system goes into closed loop. Closed loop is only turned off when AFRs are expected to be fluctuating either due to acceleration enrichment or decel cut, etc. At their core, the Pro Flo systems are actually full stand alone EFI system that can sometimes require a little end user tuning assistance. If someone had reported an open loop hot start surge problem, I would have asked what have they done to try and tune out the problem since all systems are tunable except for the original PF1. Simply changing hardware design from PF3 to PF4 won't fix a calibration problem. The system will certainly do what it can to correct and learn/adjust the fueling to achieve desired AFR but that doesn't mean that all driving points will be exactly perfect. This is why we provide a tuning interface that allows the end user to fine tune the system which is sometimes necessary because every single combo is going to be different. Like when you buy that one size fits most hat and it never fits your head. Well this hat has an adjustable band - you just need to adjust it to fit.
                        Last edited by Nate S; 09-17-2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sd1976 View Post

Wow where did you order it from??
                          Summit. Checked Jegs too, don't have it. They both called Edelbrock and were given the late October delivery date. This for BB Mopar 440.

Comment

The Doggie door for the trunk floor arrived from Detroit Steel. Easy access to the in tank pump.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

First, I want to thank Edelbrock for investing the time, money and research in developing the ProFlo line of EFI systems for such a wide range of older vehicles. Not everyone drives a Ford or a Chevy, but making products for the other guys is expensive and not always cost effective. So Thank you. My '68 Pontiac GTO also thanks you!
                              With regards to the original question, I do not know if ProFlo 4 has any known bugs. From what I know is that the system has an "Adaptive Learning" strategy ability not unlike EFI systems for modern computer controlled automobiles. The major difference is that the end user can make adjustments to the system by essentially programing the system to meet your specific needs. But, you can just let the system make the adjustments as conditions and driving history dictate.
                              If I am wrong, I welcome any additional education anyone here can provide.
                              I cannot wait to get my hands on one for my GTO.

Comment

Working...
                              X