Starts then won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starts then won't start

I don't know what's going on. It started earlier today, I was adding some shims to the starter as it wasn't in the correct place. Got that sorted and it fire right up. I let it run for a bit and shut it off, came back out and now it just cranks. Sometimes it starts to fire but then it will just die. I feel like it isn't getting spark.

I was trying to test with a timing light to see if it would light up but it did not, I am not sure if the timing light is good or not, I can't remember the last time I used it. Testing is a bit annoying as it's a manual so the clutch needs to be in and my assistant (8yr old son) leaves to go watch youtube videos, so it's hard to crank it myself. Probably get a buddy to help out tomorrow if I do anymore testing.

Anyways I recorded a video of the app with a few attempts to start it. The other thing that seems odd is the throttle body is always humming when you have the ignition on. You can hear it in the video.

I am done for the day but if anyone has a good place to start with diagnostics I will be doing that tomorrow. I feel like I checked everything

- grounds
    - charged the new battery up
    - put in new acdelco iridium plugs 61-142
    - check all the connections,
    - swap the main relay
    - checked the fuses

I have MSD coils, new wires, stock intake/injectors, an LS3 Corvette cam (204/211 .551/.522), beehive springs. If I ever get it running I plan on putting in a BTR Truck Norris cam.

-Stephen

steveed
    Last edited by steveed; 10-30-2021, 05:21 PM. Reason: Edit updated video to full length version.

I'll play with the app tonight to get my head into the system.......would have been nice if Edelbrock included a wiring diagram....my thought process works better when I see all the inputs, and outputs.

I'm actually going to make a cheat sheet on the difference between the 24x, and 58x next month.....i actually think I can modify a HEI distributor to have the LS cam, and crank triggers inside it....most likely it will be optical vs the factory hall type.....dual throttle bodys on a Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram is my plan for the vintage brand new GM crate small block I have.

So I should post in the morning.
    In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.
    https://forums.edelbrock.com/filedat...?photoid=42773

Comment

Check the ground bolt/terminal on the backside of the head.
      Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
      Just give the Engine what it wants &
      Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

I will do that tomorrow. Took Sunday and today off from causing havoc with my truck.

-Stephen

Comment

Still working on information related to LS motors.......funky how there are 2 different 58x reluctor wheels.
          In my neighborhood, if you open your hood to check your oil, and the vehicle still runs after you close it.......Then your labeled the Neighborhood Mechanic.

Comment

I did not know that there were 2 different 58x reluctors, interesting. It's pouring rain out for the next few days so I am probably going to wait until the weekend to work on it. If there is a break in the rain though I am going to check the ground. I unplugged and plugged in all the connectors but I did not double check the ground. I did check all the engine to body/battery grounds.

Comment

I just got a 58x crankshaft wheel ( 180mm diameter ) to play with, and I still have an absurd amount of LS information in my head that needs to be put on paper, and organized.

Do to the fact some people don't know what parts they have.
              I'm making a picture list ( going to have to borrow some pictures from the web ) of what can, and can't be used.

Comment

Okay so it was a ground issue the ground was not loose, but I went around and sanded where all the grounds connect and tightened them up and it fires right up now.

I think pictures with what versions they are would be super useful, it seems like there is a lot of variation.

Comment

good news....
                  Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
                  Just give the Engine what it wants &
                  Let the numbers be what they are.

Jim McFarland....

Comment

Working...
                  X