Canister purge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canister purge

We are running Pro-Flo 3 with the sump fuel system. Fuel tank is vented to a charcoal canister, and the Edelbrock fuel sump vent is spliced into this line. This system runs great! The only problem is how to purge the charcoal canister! In stock trim, the canister is purged by ported vacuum, above the throttle blades like a vacuum advance. Pro-Flo has no port for this. Short of drilling a port into the throttle body the only solution I could come up with is to install a canister purge solenoid from a later model car into manifold vacuum with an rpm activated switch set around 2500 rpm. This would prevent idle problems and close off the canister when the engine was turned off. My question for the engineers is this: can the Pro-Flo computer be configured to act as an rpm activated switch? It has 2 spare outputs, A/C kickup and Fan Controller.
    I don't use those. Surely someone has had to deal with this situation before. What were your solutions?

You don't install a sumps "liquid" vent line, to a "vapor" vent line.

The sumps vent line needs to go back to the tank.

The vapor line is plugged at the tank. Then you install a "vented" gas cap.
    At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

The ECU cannot be configured to operate as you want to control the purge solenoid. You can purchase an RPM activated switch online from any of the big parts sellers. You will have test and see what the best routing of the vent hoseis. I think you would want to have it go to the tank and then the purge line to the solenoid, then the manifold.

Comment

A purge solenoid is emissions equipment. All Pro Flo injection systems are meant for non- or pre-emissions vehicles. As stated there is no support for any emissions functionality. In my experience, removal of purge solenoid and associated vacuum lines and simply leaving carbon canister open works just fine.
        Last edited by Nate S; 09-05-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Bite me: There are 3 lines to a fuel system: the fuel , the return, and the vent. What are you talking about Bite me?

Comment

Nate: Your wife doesn't mind the gas fumes filling up the garage? Lucky you! Bite me, you must be lucky too.

Comment

Originally posted by Loudady View Post
              Bite me: There are 3 lines to a fuel system: the fuel , the return, and the vent. What are you talking about Bite me?
              Your stock system will have a 3/8" fuel line from the fuel tank to the motor mounted fuel pump. Leave this one alone.
              Your stock system will have a 5/16" fuel return line, from the motor mounted fuel pump to the fuel tank. Leave this one alone.
              Your stock system will have a 5/16" vapor line from the fuel tank to the canister. Plug this line, and install a vented gas cap.....No my shop, or garage does not sell of gas.

For the Sump:
              Feed the motor mounted fuel pump to the Sumps input.
              Feed the Sumps output to the EFI system.
              Feed the Sumps vent to a clear fuel filter ( so you can see if you have a stuck float ), that filter will feed a line that YOU install, back to the fuel tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve M View Post
                The ECU cannot be configured to operate as you want to control the purge solenoid. You can purchase an RPM activated switch online from any of the big parts sellers. You will have test and see what the best routing of the vent hoseis. I think you would want to have it go to the tank and then the purge line to the solenoid, then the manifold.
                There's a one-way check valve in the system some where. If the person doesn't know if they have one. Then I don't recommend making any connections to the intake manifold, or carburetor with a fuel tank vent line.

Comment

Steve, help me on this one: The Edelbrock sump system is returnless, right? The vent gets teed into the canister vent, like it says in the manual. If you wanted a return line you would have said so.

Comment

Originally posted by Loudady View Post
                    Nate: Your wife doesn't mind the gas fumes filling up the garage? Lucky you! Bite me, you must be lucky too.
                    Don't think you've been in my garage before to know if it smells like gas or not. If you had, you'd know it doesn't smell. Remember that before the days of purge solenoids, an old school charcoal canister simply vented into the air filter housing on carbureted engines. What's the difference if the canister vents into the air filter housing or just into open air when the vehicle is sitting?

The vent line can have a tendency to get wetted with fuel since the combination of being mounted in the engine compartment plus internally returning means that the sump can warm up enough to push more than just vapors out the vent line. It's not a full on return line that's always returning fuel to the tank but it isn't a purely "dry" vent line either - it is described as the "sump overflow vent". The instructions do specify pretty clearly that the vent line is supposed to go to the gas tank.

Comment

The vent line on these sump systems must go back to the tank as a return line. Do not hook it to the canister. As everyone here are telling you this is more then a vent. The sump system runs hotter then a return fuel system. Gas heats up and it will spit fuel into the vent. This raw fuel has to return to the tank.

Comment

Working...
                      X