This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pressure recommendations?

my 454 with 44# injectors is seeing 30psi at the rail. i was going to set the adjustment higher. how high should I go? I see a 5-10psi drop when I romp it but it comes right back within seconds.

Recommended Fuel Pressure for Pro Flo 2/XT

32-38 PSI engine idling with manifold vacuum hooked to the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm.

42-45 PSI key on/engine off (this means 42-45 PSI at WOT too)

Higher HP kits with an adjustable regulator are set to 50 PSI with no vacuum reference. Just leave the diaphragm open to atmospheric pressure.

Comment

Thanx Jeff, helpful as always. Does the higher pressure insure the injectors are not starving for fuel? How much does it affect the fuel maps?

Comment

For example: Your 44 lb./hr. injector is rated to flow 44 lb./hr. @ 43.5 PSI of fuel pressure.
        @ 30 PSI it will flow 36.54 lb./hr. or 20% less
        @ 50 PSI it will flow 47.17 lb./hr. or 7% more

So yes, the fuel pressure has an effect on the fuel map and how rich or lean the engine may run.

All Pro Flo, Pro Flo 2, & Pro Flo XT systems with a non-adjustable fuel pressure regulator use this spec.
        32-38 PSI engine idling with manifold vacuum hooked to the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm.

42-45 PSI key on/engine off (this means 42-45 PSI at WOT too)
        All Pro Flo 2 & Pro Flo XT systems with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and 60 lb./hr. injectors use this spec.
        Higher HP kits with an adjustable regulator are set to 50 PSI with no vacuum reference. Just leave the diaphragm open to atmospheric pressure.
        Note: All system base maps were tuned using the correlating specs above.

Comment

Pro=Flo2 considered high hp?

Just to clarify, is the regulator on a Pro-Flo 2 system supposed to be open to atmosphere?

Thanks,
          Jim

Comment

All Pro Flo and Pro Flo 2/XT systems with a nonadjustable fuel pressure regulator should be referenced to manifold vacuum.

All Pro Flo 2/XT systems with adjustable regulators set to 50 PSI should be referenced to atmosphere.

Comment

not normally, but

normally the regulator is vacuum adjusted. I got tired of chasing my A/F ratio's all over the place so I have mine open the atmosphere and have the fuel pressure remain constant so the amount of fuel doesn't constantly change. I also drilled out the orifice to increase the fuel pressure to 50 PSI. The increased fuel pressure necessitates a reduction in the amount of time the injectors are on. Doing this allowed me to closely control my A/F ratio. I also have tuned my temp coefficient tables to minimize the variation that the factory tables have. My system now runs much better and I have increased my fuel economy by ~25% (from 12mpg to 17mpg). Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
              X