454 all wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 all wrong

I hope someone here can give me some guidance. I have come to a conclusion what I am working on is a disaster never going to work. Customer ask me to work on his old truck. At first glance I see a 454, with long tubes, a Edelbrock performer, and a Edelbrock carb. The gentleman know nothing about it he obtained it this way from an estate sale were the owner passed. Trying to get this this to run, was a challenge. I have fuel 9 psi max, Has older Malory HEI distributor with Petronix ignition module. Plugs are new, cap, rotor and wires are new. I have to redo the carb, from sitting it got cruddy on the inside. Carb by the way is a 1411 which is way to big in my mind. The motor has stock internals except for pistons which are stock style 8:1 compression. I have verified the carb has the factory jetting and metering rods. Also has a stock style Melling timing set which was a replacement. After not being able to get this thing to run. I decided to pull the cam out. It's a Comp Cam Hydraulic flat tappet

Basic Operating RPM Range:2,300-6,200
    Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:243
    Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:257
    Duration at 050 inch Lift:243 int./257 exh.
    Advertised Intake Duration:295
    Advertised Exhaust Duration:312
    Advertised Duration:295 int./312 exh.
    Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.522 in.
    Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.507 in.
    Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.522 int./0.507 exh.
    Lobe Separation (degrees):107

So I notice my engine tilts back to the rear making the intake plane level. I think this is causing my engine to hyro lock with the fuel that gets in the motor all goes to the rear. I feel with the specs of all this, it doesn't create enough vacuum to pull the fuel. Also all the cylinders have 120 psi compression. Any suggestions on what I can do to get this thing to run. I apologize for ranting. It took a lot of work to get just this far.

Edelbrock #1411 manual : https://www.edelbrock.com/pub/media/...ers-manual.pdf

Page 5: Fuel Pumps and Pressure: Avoid extremes in fuel pressure. At IDLE, there should not be any more than 6.0 psi; if the vehicle has an adjustable fuel-pressure regulator, set it to 5.5 psi. With most fuel pumps the minimum fuel pressure is encountered at high rpm and WOT. Fuel pressure should not drop below 2.0 psi. If it does, a fuel pump with more capacity may be required. Note that some later model vehicles (the 5.0L Ford is one example) have mechanical pumps that will give more than 6.0 psi at idle. The vehicle will perform well, but may be prone to stalls on quick turns and stops with the clutch disengaged. If this problem occurs, check the fuel pressure. If it is more than 6.0 psi at IDLE, it should be reduced through the use of a regulator, such as Edelbrock #81

As for the "engine tilt" causing hydro-lock........Um.. we have these things called "hills" that we have driven carbureted motors on, for over 120 years.
    At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

Working...
    X