Brake booster vacuum question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake booster vacuum question

Hi. I owned a 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass with a 455 motor. Prior owner modified the engine by replacing the stock intake with a performer's intake and a performer plus camshaft. This combination produces 15" of vacuum at idle. The issue is that I have always feel that the brake pedal was slightly hard and the brakes never really lock as for an emergency situation. I was used to this until a friend told me I needed a vacuum pump to increase vacuum to at least 18". He owns a 1971 Malibu with a big cam and had less than 15" of vacuum. Now with an electric pump manifold makes in excess of 18" Do I need a pump as well? I tested the booster and all works as expected. No leaks anywhere.

You need to get the booster fixed, or replaced. Some one changed some thing...most likely an accident, wrong parts were replaced.
    <-- Do not click the BLUE boxes. They are a trap. You will be sucked into the Matrix, and never leave. The project in your garage will never be finished. You have been warned.

Comment

Working...
    X