MSD Coil-per-Cylinder ignition system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD Coil-per-Cylinder ignition system

My SBC is topped by Edelbrok's Pro-Flo EFI. I would like to pursue the upgrade of a distributorless, coil/cylinder ignition system. MSD offers one (others?) which includes a "Hall effect sync distributor plug" To me, a great concept, one I have been thinking about for awhile. Admittedly, no doubt b/c so much attention regarding the LS engine. Someone will undoubtedly tell me how unnecessary to pursue a distributorless ignition with the older Gen I and II SBC. That is okay and would represent good, sound advice; however I remain interested, would be willing to pay the required dough to make it happen but I don't think the idea mixes well with edelbrock fuel injection b/c pro flo controls ignition events. Is this true? I probably would have to have one of the EASY FI systems by FAST for example as they only control fuel and air. Anything in the works from good old Edelbrock or Forum members want share ideas/experiences, etc?

Less parts on a engine = less parts to break or wear out.

The manufacturers use multiple coils for a "reason".
    Google "why use multiple ignition coils"

As for me. I've never had a single coil failure, and the single coil has never gotten so hot that I needed to "split" it's load with another coil.
    At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

GEN I SBC: Anyone know if edelbrock pro flo ECM IS COMPATIBLE with distributorless, coil/per cylinder LS TYPE IGNITION SYSTEM? (MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!) Small block Chevrolet in a c4 corvette using edelbrock pro flo for several years of excellent service. Decided to convert to manual six speed and removed the engine. Once the engine was out and before the manual transmission installed, I decided to paint the car, upgrade suspension (COILOVERS) and brakes. AND before the project is finished this spring/summer I would love to change things around under the hood by installing a little more roller cam with the previously installed 1.6 ratio roller rockers (COMPLETED)

Comment

GEN I SBC: Anyone know if edelbrock pro flo ECM IS COMPATIBLE with distributorless, coil/per cylinder LS TYPE IGNITION SYSTEM? (MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!) Small block Chevrolet in a c4 corvette using edelbrock pro flo for several years of excellent service. Decided to convert to manual six speed and removed the engine. Once the engine was out and before the manual transmission installed, I decided to paint the car, upgrade suspension (COILOVERS) and brakes. AND before the project is finished this spring/summer, I would love to change things around under the hood by installing a little more roller cam with the previously installed 1.6 ratio roller rockers (COMPLETED) and a distributorless, LS style ignition system (because I want to). I know that several places offer kits to make it happen, including GM. The part I don't know is if the EFI system is compatible. So I am posting here hoping to hear some good stuff on this here forum. It has been a few years since posting (under a different name) and reading lots of different stories/problems/advice as well as solutions. Thanks for reading - Let's All have a prosperous New Year!

Comment

Pro Flo 2 can use #3572.
          I'm not sure if the original Pro Flo can use it.
          At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

Thanks bite_me for the part number-so far not looking so good for the first generation pro flo system...

Comment

Working...
            X