Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine starts and then dies, restarts and then dies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The MAP sensor was still reading -25.9, engine wont run. Took the MAP sensor off the throttle body and put it in the shop freezer for a few minutes. Back on the throttle body and it is reading -0.5. Engine starts and runs. Have we found the failed component?

My base timing is at °20, with °14 mechanical advance for a total of °34. Vacuum advance is plugged in to the timed port, the upper port on the front of the TB. I will try vacuum both ways once it is running reliably.
    Last edited by Paul G; 02-12-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Yup, you found it. The video shows -25" which means almost no fuel injected. Pumping the throttle gives it accel fuel which is what is keeping it running.

Replace the MAP sensor and you should be good to go.

Comment

Thank you for your help.

Is there an off the shelf equivalent I can get from Oreilly or auto zone?

Comment

It is a generic GM 1bar MAP sensor from any 1990's GM car. You should be able to get one almost anywhere. If you can't find one, our P/N is 36019 and you can order it from one of online speed parts places like Jegs, Keystone or Summit.

Comment

For replacement MAP sensor info see here: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...086-map-sensor

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help. Picked up a GM replacement MAP sensor from my local Oreilly's. Installed it and went for a drive. Problem is gone. It would be nice if some OBDII code was written in to the ECU. Maybe the new ones have it. A failed MAP would be easy to tag.

Comment

There's a sticky about the "normal" readings you should be seeing on the display.
                It can be found here: https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/e...he-e-tuner-app
                At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

I have a 68 Chevy C10 pickup that I installed an Edelbrock 1406 and it worked fine at first. Now once it starts it dies. I can restart again and it dies. What is causing this? Can anyone help me here?
                  Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobBond007 View Post
                    I have a 68 Chevy C10 pickup that I installed an Edelbrock 1406 and it worked fine at first. Now once it starts it dies. I can restart again and it dies. What is causing this? Can anyone help me here?
                    Bob
                    You should always post in the section of the forum that's most relevant to the Edelbrock product you have questions about. It helps keep the forum more organized when people are looking for solutions to a problem, and it helps you to find your original post.

Anyway.

If the carburetor is feed 5.5PSI of fuel, the filters/screens ( both internal, and external ) are clear, the floats haven't gone out of adjustment, and the carburetor's passages are not gunked up. Then the unit should be working like when you first installed it.

If you don't use the vehicle much, then the carburetor might be gunked up, and just needs to be cleaned. Use Edelbrock kit #1477 for a rebuild, and make sure you use compressed air to clean out all the passages.

Also do you get a sucking sound, when you remove the gas cap? If Yes. Then the fuel tanks vent might be blocked closed, and needs to be cleaned out. Or the vent in the gas cap might be plugged. So you clean or replace the gas cap....None California gas caps are generally vented.
                    At 43,861 MPH Elon Musk now owns the fastest car in this Galaxy

Comment

Working...
                    X