Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrong Map maybe? What map should I be on? add timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Map maybe? What map should I be on? add timing?

Hello,

I have new ford racing 427 535 HP crate motor, 351 based block.
    E-street 2
    super victor intake.
    Hydrolic roller cam specs
    intake is 294 @ .006 lift 242 @.050
    exhaust [email protected] .006 Lift 248 @ .050
    Ford aluminium "Z" heads

Had it close to dialed in OKC altitude for about 1500 miles. Now its in Denver at 6k ft and not running that great. Rich running, some fairly heavy stumbling and some light exhaust backfire.
    Timing is set at recommended 12 per ford and Edelbrock

The current map is 36017V2I.TAB

I had well into the double-digit corrections so I made some changes in the tune to get it close to zero. Running between -5 and +5 with some fairly consistent -2 to +3 numbers. Still smells rich some fairly heavy stumbling and some light exhaust backfires

Any help would be appreciated.

To speed up the learning process, you can Clear Self Learning and all the data learned will be wiped out, but not your settings.

Based on your engine specs, you may be better off on 36023v2I.TAB. That is a closer match and may have less changes to the modifiers needed. Keep a note pad with the map you are running and how much correction it is making and what you changed in the modifiers.

For timing, you set the base timing with the timing light at 12, then all other adjustments are made in the tablet. If you are around 8-10" of vacuum at idle, then you set Idle spark to 20 and leave your total timing where it is, which is probably 32-34 degrees. You will also want to crank in more vacuum advance, so probably 7 degrees is a good starting point. These are rough starting points, every engine is different and will want different settings. Always listen for detonation or pinging when changing your spark advance. Just keep notes so you don't get lost and have a record of what works best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve M View Post
      To speed up the learning process, you can Clear Self Learning and all the data learned will be wiped out, but not your settings.

Based on your engine specs, you may be better off on 36023v2I.TAB. That is a closer match and may have less changes to the modifiers needed. Keep a note pad with the map you are running and how much correction it is making and what you changed in the modifiers.

For timing, you set the base timing with the timing light at 12, then all other adjustments are made in the tablet. If you are around 8-10" of vacuum at idle, then you set Idle spark to 20 and leave your total timing where it is, which is probably 32-34 degrees. You will also want to crank in more vacuum advance, so probably 7 degrees is a good starting point. These are rough starting points, every engine is different and will want different settings. Always listen for detonation or pinging when changing your spark advance. Just keep notes so you don't get lost and have a record of what works best for you.
      36023 is a long way away from the 36017 isnt it? was that an issue I should have seen before? I will double-check vacume tonight or tomorrow and let you know what it has currently before the change. With that big cam its a good amount.

Comment

36017 is for 375-400 CI, [email protected] .050 intake duration with 11-8.5" vacuum
        36023 is for 400-454 CI, [email protected] .050 intake duration with 14-12" vacuum

Really the only difference is that 36023 is for slightly more vacuum and closer to your 427 CI. This would mean that you should have less tuning to do with modifiers since it is a closer match to your engine. When the map is right for your engine, the correction will be into single digits very quickly. Don't focus on the specs of the cam, look at idle vacuum. That is the end result of the cam, rockers and cylinder heads. Every engine is a bit different.

Part of the beauty of EFI is that you can change maps in minutes. Go for a drive and immediately see and feel the change. If it is worse, it only takes a few minutes to go back. If it is better, then you made an improvement. The old days of swapping jets and carbs are gone. Don't be afraid to make changes and try things. The only caution is to make sure the tablet and car battery are charged up when making map changes.

Comment

36017 is for 375-400 CI, [email protected] .050 intake duration with 11-8.5" vacuum
          36023 is for 400-454 CI, [email protected] .050 intake duration with 14-12" vacuum

Really the only difference is that 36023 is for slightly more vacuum and closer to your 427 CI. This would mean that you should have less tuning to do with modifiers since it is a closer match to your engine. When the map is right for your engine, the correction will be into single digits very quickly. Don't focus on the specs of the cam, look at idle vacuum. That is the end result of the cam, rockers and cylinder heads. Every engine is a bit different.

Part of the beauty of EFI is that you can change maps in minutes. Go for a drive and immediately see and feel the change. If it is worse, it only takes a few minutes to go back. If it is better, then you made an improvement. The old days of swapping jets and carbs are gone. Don't be afraid to make changes and try things. The only caution is to make sure the tablet and car battery are charged up when making map changes.
          On the old (36017) map I have -11.8 vacuum at idle. 13 at start up.

I wont mess with the tune until tomorrow at the soonest. maybe this weekend ill have more time. Ill keep you posted. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Comment

My cam is also 242. Does that Chang anything?

Comment

Steve. My cam is 242 @.050 does that change anything?

Comment

"My cam is also 242. Does that Chang anything?"

As I said above, "Don't focus on the specs of the cam, look at idle vacuum. That is the end result of the cam, rockers and cylinder heads."

Comment

"My cam is also 242. Does that Chang anything?"

As I said above, "Don't focus on the specs of the cam, look at idle vacuum. That is the end result of the cam, rockers and cylinder heads."
                  Thanks Steve! Really appreciate your help

Comment

Working...
                  X