E-street EFI Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-street EFI Issues

Recently added the E-Street EFI V2 to my mild 383. I was able to get it running well enough to dive it to the exhaust shop with open headers, but on the way it started running rough and back firing. I shut it down and towed it home.Now it wont start. Any help or information would be appreciated.

-Steven

You stated you were driving to the exhaust shop with open headers. The system will not work with open headers, period. Fresh air is pulled back into the header at low rpm in between the firing of each cylinder and this is seen by the O2 sensor in the collector. The ECU sees the extra air and thinks you are very lean, so it starts adding fuel to compensate making the engine run extremely rich. The system starts learning after the coolant temp reaches 170F, so you probably drove off with the engine below this and it ran OK, Once it got to 170, it started running worse and worse until it wants to die.

So, bottom line is you need a minimum of 24" of tailpipe down stream of the O2 sensor and everything sealed from the O2 sensor to the head. As a next step, you will have to clear Self Learning to eliminate the bad data it learned with open headers. Then get your exhaust finished. After that you will be able to drive it and let the system learn.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I thought you could disable the self learn through advanced setting? I also tried to reset the self learn but its still will not start. the motor turns over but it doesn't seem to even try and fire.

-Steven

Comment

If you turned off Self Learn and cleared it, then I would start by pulling the plugs and see if they are fouled. Also check the basics, do you have spark? Fuel pressure is correct for your map? Which distributor are you using? Do you see RPM on the tablet when cranking?

Comment

No Spark and no RPMs during cranking. I have the ignition control distributor that has a harness for the ecu and the white
          and orange wires for the coil. what voltage should be present across the coil?

Comment

OK, you are not getting a tach signal. The coil will have 12V for 6 seconds after key on, just like the fuel pump. Check the connector for the distributor to make sure it is tight, look at the terminals to made sure they are not bent or loose. Also check the pins in the tach input adapter. The distributor is powered by 5V, so you can verify that as well. Then the easy test is to remove the distributor and spin it by hand to check it's operation.

Your best bet on further diagnostics is to call our tech support line for EFI. I will be away from my computer for most of the day. I will check it later.

Comment

Working...
            X